Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 9, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #130,216 of 150,636
Last edited:
Nov 9, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #130,218 of 150,636
VU Meters are a powerful presence...Just sayin'...Ya know it's not as if McIntosh has a copyright on their use. I know, I know. It will never happen.:slight_frown:
Handy-dandy …. for when only a VU (or pair) is right for the job ….
EBCDBF4E-5F76-4C47-9E51-67A37D43D59E.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #130,220 of 150,636
Yikes. At that price, I'll wait for the Ultimate Yggdrasil upgrade.

Glad Jason tipped us off that something is in the works...I suspect with NO OP AMPS.

Perhaps you missed the response below. :)

Don't hold your breath waiting. You'll be dead before we figure that out. Though we won't stop trying.

Nov 9, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #130,221 of 150,636
Last edited:
Nov 9, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #130,222 of 150,636
Just finished another DIY upgrade project:

Picked up a new in box Creek Audio amp from 1998. $50!
Had to replace all the caps and many resistors add some bypass caps.
Pairing with my favorite little Schiit MB2.

Really decent sound uses an old OP 2604 op amp.
Purple cables are my favorite made by our one and only @Paladin79 !

Alex

1699560151386.png

Nov 9, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #130,223 of 150,636
Light Dims to the rescue. I use these on some of my Schiit gear. They tone down the harsh non-light-pipe LEDs. Available in silver or black. Maybe these will help the other gear 'match' the more civilized light-pipe levels. :wink:

https://www.amazon.com/LightDims-Silver-Electronics-Appliances-Packaging/dp/B00CM0AXXU/ref=sr_1_2?crid=17RN7AD7TTUKU&keywords=light+dim+silver+stickers&qid=1699555553&s=hi&sprefix=light+dim+silver+stickers,tools,109&sr=1-2
Hmmm. That seems like a kludge. See, I don't mind the brightness of the classic Schiit white LEDs. Makes a nice nightlight. The dimmer LEDs on the Bifrost 2, though, make it look like it's in a brownout by comparison.

Nov 9, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #130,224 of 150,636
Maybe you should consider living at the end of an airport runway. The landing lights at night should prove wonderful and match your old Schiit gear LEDs' in intensity. 😄

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #130,225 of 150,636
Thanks for the compliment. But no, I didn't write that.
Not only did I not go to Harvard, I don't even have a degree in anything. 😬
Dude. You have a bunch of degrees on your thermostat. You're good!

Nov 9, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #130,228 of 150,636
Hmmm. That seems like a kludge. See, I don't mind the brightness of the classic Schiit white LEDs. Makes a nice nightlight. The dimmer LEDs on the Bifrost 2, though, make it look like it's in a brownout by comparison.
I have them on my Freya and they're great. Silver is a perfect match so they don't seem like a Kludge/band aid at all. I've got them on just about every piece of gear in my rack (they come in white and black too).

Nov 9, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #130,230 of 150,636
The balanced box for the VPI is totally worth it! I purchased it for that reason to use with the Tavish Adagio when I bought that several years ago, so it's always been a balanced setup. It will make your records sound more pronounced than using it with the regular phono connector, which you can swap back and forth with two screws on the VPI. This is good if you have clean records that have good recording quality, otherwise is is less forgiving than a normal set up with poor or dirty recordings.

Second for background hum, this is where it gets interesting. From my experience it depends on the cable you use. With single ended I have a Kimber Kable TAK Cu tonearm cable with WBT ends ($450) and that sounded pretty good (but typical for a mid-fi set up). So, when I got the balanced output for the VPI and the Tavish Design Adagio balanced phono stage I bought Kimber Kable Base (Timbre) XLR interconnects ($198) because they use the same cable as the TAK Cu incorporated and noticed a minor background noise reduction and was happy. However, the Kimber Timbre were not shielded, so I then tried Better Cables Silver Serpent XLR cables ($149 & pictured in my pics) and night and day difference! Now, especially with Skoll it is "digital quiet" until the music starts. I am really happy with the set up.

I learned two things in this process 1) more expensive is not always better as the Skoll and Better Cables are the two cheaper options and sound better (to me), and 2) It seems in my experience the thicker the shielding on quality cables (interconnect, power, USB) the less noise there seems to be in my system.

But back to the point of your question, yes, to my ears, the balanced set up with VPI > Skoll > McIntosh > Sonus Faber seems to be a very musical system with near no background noise. I enjoy it very much!

Thank you for the italic emphases. Too often left out in audio discussions...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back