Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 4, 2023 at 2:48 AM Post #129,946 of 151,179
For the tube lovers out there, I just binge watched All The Light We Cannot See on Netflix, great story, great acting but....take a close look at some of the tube gear that appears throughout the four part miniseries and maybe you will see some discrepancies. This is a powerful movie that shows the importance of radio during WW2, based on a Pulitzer Prize winning novel. https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/ne...nnot-see-official-trailer-netflix/vi-AA1ji0Ia
What a great little series! My moniker, 565hunter refers to my amateur radio transmitter hunting hobby. 146.565Mhz is our hunt frequency. The radio direction finding depicted in episode 3 was a hoot.

Nov 4, 2023 at 7:42 AM Post #129,949 of 151,179
Screenshot 2023-11-03 at 19.46.33.png
Stephane (who was in some of my previous videos) and I in the depths of Syn today. His cats too.
Clearly, the weather is treating you better than here in Europe @!@@! :cloud_tornado::dash:

Nov 4, 2023 at 9:25 AM Post #129,950 of 151,179
What a great little series! My moniker, 565hunter refers to my amateur radio transmitter hunting hobby. 146.565Mhz is our hunt frequency. The radio direction finding depicted in episode 3 was a hoot.
Notice how sound comes out of the tube radios the second the tubes are lit or when a battery is connected to a portable radio? It is also not a gradual sound.🤪

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #129,953 of 151,179
Piety arrived today. Sounds great but so far after ridiculously swapping cables around back and forth between it and the Vali+ (stock Russian tube), the Vali just sounds more full, a slightly thicker more desirable sound. I also noticed that the Vali+ doesn't sound as distorted at higher volumes in comparison to the Piety, which is pretty incredible.

As I read this I was listening to the Stones' new release on the Vali 2++ with a 1956 GE JAN 5670 tube and my Thiel Audio Ghost headphones with aftermarket pads. Tone control is via a Loki Mini+. I did some A-B-ing with the Piety and I agree 100% with your impressions. I never really gave the Vali much time (I bought a lot of Schiit at once a while back, then life got in the way), but it's now parked with my desktop setup and the amp+headphone combo is a perfect one for rock and blues. I'll try some of my ECC88 tubes with adapters to see what they do to the sound.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #129,954 of 151,179
Can you please comment on those isolator pads under your stack components? Is the goal to minimize tube microphonic or that and something else. I started playing with Vibrapods under my planar speakers and the change is dramatic.
The rubber and cork pads are the same ones mentioned previously in this thread (from supplyhouse.com) and they are mostly just to provide more airflow between the components, in my case. The closed-cell foam under the Vali 2 is from pre-cut packing/shipping pieces and might help prevent microphonics...or they might do nothing at all; I currently do not have any microphonic tubes.

Nov 4, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #129,955 of 151,179
Not sure what you mean. It's 42 Freedom/5.5 Science degrees here today in the Midwestern US, and I'm in shorts and a short-sleeve shirt too.
:astonished: ... Don't know how you do it !!

Nov 4, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #129,956 of 151,179
This guy makes furniture out of cardboard ... seems right up your alley, @bcowen. He may be hiring ...

:)
A modern day artisan! Looks like some of that may not be double wall though, so he may need some tutoring. 🤣 🤣

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #129,957 of 151,179
Happy to be here all, I have been reading and lurking for years, but finally decided to join because this seems like a civilized forum, and there is much conversation on Skoll lately. I just received my Skoll a week ago and from what I can see, I am one of the few using it with a balanced turntable and wanted to offer my thoughts. I am super happy with it so far as it seems to have done three things for me that my Tavish Design Adagio did not. 1) It definitely requires less work from my pre and power amp to sound good in terms of volume and dynamics, 2) it really improved the imaging which surprised me, and 3) it makes the music seem a lot more detailed.

This all surprised me as the Skoll was $1,600 cheaper than the Adagio it replaced, which was also well reviewed by Stereophile. I have since sold the Adagio, and am happier listening to the Skoll, AND came out ahead with money in my pocket! Win-win-win situation. I also have a Mani in my second system if anyone is interested in hearing about Skoll versus Mani in the same system, though that one is obviously a single-ended, not balanced set up.

Otherwise, that is my two cents and I am happy to be here and finally join the conversation!
S0WHGd.jpg
6a2nqx.jpg
8hgAYK.jpg
Beautiful 'table!! The rest is also beautiful, but especially the 'table. 🤣

Nov 4, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #129,959 of 151,179
Try a 5670W in the Vali+. An inexpensive tube that really lets the amp shine.
I agree with @sam6550a ...Mess around with different tubes to get whatever effect you like. Even though all of my other Schiit kit is boxed up for moving, my mightly little toaster is still out, being fed by a (reactivated) ModiMB and EITR (USB-SPDIF converter thingie).

My only woe are the toggle switches on my elderly Magni 3. 1 of 2 have failed (repairs are being negotiated, as I don't want to throw it out). My Heratic is taking up the slack (in my rapidly diminishing condo [as we prepare for renovations]).

Nov 4, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #129,960 of 151,179
If there are, you would probably find them on ASR.

:beerchug:
JC
JohnnyCanuck! Yer thowing proverbial fuel on a fire. Don't be like me... I did exactly that on some green, smoldering wet firewood back in British Columbia (Lightning Lake, BC). It was a Red Green moment... up in a flash. Sigh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back