Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 30, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #129,526 of 150,611
Well said. And if I recall, Jason did say in one video that the intention was originally for Singularity to be 1 bit. Wonder if they'll change the name when/if it's actually released.
I heard, adjusted for inflation, it will be a 2 bit DAC. So... we might expect Singularity++ 🤣

Oct 30, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #129,527 of 150,611
LGBTQ-DAC+ ? 🤷🏻‍♂️🤔

Oct 30, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #129,528 of 150,611
More Iso-Acoustics Love

As a long-term advocate of tightly coupling loudspeaker cabinets to the ground that supports them - a.k.a. a "speaker-spiker", I was astonished the first time I heard a demonstration of the Iso-Acoustics GAIA isolators. The clarity that came from mechanically decoupling the speaker from its ground plane was unexpected, but is totally reproduceable, and audible to just about everyone - audiophool or not. :wink:

A while back, I invested in two sets of GAIA II isolators (and the requisite carpet spikes) and installed them on my main speakers. The improvement in overall sonic clarity far surpassed the cost of the devices, in my opinion. Again... YMMV. The success I 'heard' by installing the GAIA's helped me better understand that throwing more $$$ at electronics isn't always the best path to audio Nirvana...

I've doubled-down on the process of optimizing my listening room - I have already added several ASC TubeTraps, and am planning to record/request a MATT test analysis by Art's team. But, in a moment of weakness (I'm looking at you, Bulleit Orange) - I ordered a set of (smaller) GAIA III isolators (and carpet spikes) for my REL T9/x subwoofers:

IMG_0251.JPEG
IMG_0252.JPEG
IMG_0255.JPEG

The only installation issue that I encountered - the M6 studs that come with the GAIA IIIs are about 10 mm too long to screw all the way in to the REL's thread inserts. I ran them in to bottom out, then screwed them out a full turn before tightening the M6 flat nut to the bottom of the subs. This leaves a bit of the M6 threaded stud visible, but it's totally fine w/r/t operation of the isolators.

The result: wow. The clarity improvement is tactile. Listening to A Perfect Circle's "The Noose"; Josh Freese's drums and Twiggy Ramirez' bass are now 100% separated (in terms of their sound) and 100% integrated (in terms of the flow of the song). Macht das Sinn? I can follow both musicians' paths individually, almost in complete isolation, yet the sounds their instruments make blend perfectly, at the beat. And best of all, a kick drum sounds like a kick drum, and a bass guitar sounds just like a bass guitar. An amazing improvement in the apparent "accuracy of reproduction" of low bass notes, and a crazy, focused clarity in the lowest octave - forceful and strong, but still crisp and controlled. Hans Zimmer's "2049 (Main Theme)" truly shakes my world now, without shaking the walls, the windows or the furniture... my neighbors love Iso-Acoustics, too.

Overhang? Gone. Mid-bass smear? Gone. There's a solidity to the low bass now that simply elicits a big-a**ed grin - regardless of volume level. No need for a "loudness contour" control - bass is tight and solid, at -55db or at -15db volume levels. Crazy schiit, let me tell you. If anything the GAIAs seem to make a bigger difference on the subs than they did on the main speakers, but a) auditory memory is fleeting and b) I'm too lazy to mess with taking them off the B&Ws. <g>

I am looking forward to the getting the MATT analysis done!

p.s. Mike Starr's bass in Alice in Chains' "Would?" is so prominent now... never heard it rise up out of the drum mix like that... it has historically stood alone in the intro (where is is playing solo), but it fell back a bit / was subsumed when Sean Kinney's drums came up. No longer - now they are two distinct tracks, clear and undistorted. This is just too good. :)

OK, back to work!

Oct 30, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #129,530 of 150,611
More Iso-Acoustics Love

As a long-term advocate of tightly coupling loudspeaker cabinets to the ground that supports them - a.k.a. a "speaker-spiker", I was astonished the first time I heard a demonstration of the Iso-Acoustics GAIA isolators. The clarity that came from mechanically decoupling the speaker from its ground plane was unexpected, but is totally reproduceable, and audible to just about everyone - audiophool or not. :wink:

A while back, I invested in two sets of GAIA II isolators (and the requisite carpet spikes) and installed them on my main speakers. The improvement in overall sonic clarity far surpassed the cost of the devices, in my opinion. Again... YMMV. The success I 'heard' by installing the GAIA's helped me better understand that throwing more $$$ at electronics isn't always the best path to audio Nirvana...

I've doubled-down on the process of optimizing my listening room - I have already added several ASC TubeTraps, and am planning to record/request a MATT test analysis by Art's team. But, in a moment of weakness (I'm looking at you, Bulleit Orange) - I ordered a set of (smaller) GAIA III isolators (and carpet spikes) for my REL T9/x subwoofers:

IMG_0251.JPEGIMG_0252.JPEGIMG_0255.JPEG

The only installation issue that I encountered - the M6 studs that come with the GAIA IIIs are about 10 mm too long to screw all the way in to the REL's thread inserts. I ran them in to bottom out, then screwed them out a full turn before tightening the M6 flat nut to the bottom of the subs. This leaves a bit of the M6 threaded stud visible, but it's totally fine w/r/t operation of the isolators.

The result: wow. The clarity improvement is tactile. Listening to A Perfect Circle's "The Noose"; Josh Freese's drums and Twiggy Ramirez' bass are now 100% separated (in terms of their sound) and 100% integrated (in terms of the flow of the song). Macht das Sinn? I can follow both musicians' paths individually, almost in complete isolation, yet the sounds their instruments make blend perfectly, at the beat. And best of all, a kick drum sounds like a kick drum, and a bass guitar sounds just like a bass guitar. An amazing improvement in the apparent "accuracy of reproduction" of low bass notes, and a crazy, focused clarity in the lowest octave - forceful and strong, but still crisp and controlled. Hans Zimmer's "2049 (Main Theme)" truly shakes my world now, without shaking the walls, the windows or the furniture... my neighbors love Iso-Acoustics, too.

Overhang? Gone. Mid-bass smear? Gone. There's a solidity to the low bass now that simply elicits a big-a**ed grin - regardless of volume level. No need for a "loudness contour" control - bass is tight and solid, at -55db or at -15db volume levels. Crazy schiit, let me tell you. If anything the GAIAs seem to make a bigger difference on the subs than they did on the main speakers, but a) auditory memory is fleeting and b) I'm too lazy to mess with taking them off the B&Ws. <g>

I am looking forward to the getting the MATT analysis done!

p.s. Mike Starr's bass in Alice in Chains' "Would?" is so prominent now... never heard it rise up out of the drum mix like that... it has historically stood alone in the intro (where is is playing solo), but it fell back a bit / was subsumed when Sean Kinney's drums came up. No longer - now they are two distinct tracks, clear and undistorted. This is just too good. :)

OK, back to work!

Yeah, you keep on raving about all those interesting improvements you're getting from your tweaks. Two or three more of these posts and I'll have to start twisting your arm until you invite me to stop by next time I'm in the Bay Area.
Think I'm bluffing?
Try me!

Oct 30, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #129,531 of 150,611
Finnegan is a bit spoiled, I let him go outside in the mornings but this morning was in the 40’s F. He just discovered laying in his chair next to a roaring fire is much nicer.😺😺 I am recovering from a torn meniscus in my left knee so I had to stop working on projects for a while but one day Finnegan and I will be back at it.🤪
Gah! Knee injuries are the worst!

Oct 30, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #129,532 of 150,611
Gah! Knee injuries are the worst!
This is about the third time I injured this knee but it is the worst, or my ability to heal is greatly reduced lol.

Oct 30, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #129,535 of 150,611
I'll take your word for it but Amir isn't getting any clicks outta me.

I actually watched it. First time I've watched one of his videos. Very weird priorities. And at the end he says "I listened to it using a couple of headphones. You may ask why I listen, it's to make sure there's no distortion." ¯\_(⊙_ʖ⊙)_/¯

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #129,536 of 150,611
This is about the third time I injured this knee but it is the worst, or my ability to heal is greatly reduced lol.
I had 4 meniscus trims on each knee over the years. Finally ran out / ground down the last bit of meniscus so it was bone on bone both knees from that point forward. Had the left knee replaced 2 years ago this coming April. Will get the right knee replaced this April. I've still got some shrapnel stuck in the femur of the right knee, hopefully they can get it out with the replacement. I get about 5 months out of the shots, but sooner or later I'd make a move with my body that put just the wrong amount of torque on the knee in the wrong manner and the pain was steady , daily, from that point on until I got another shot. And eventually the shots lose effect. At least I know what to expect this time with the healing and rehab process.

Oct 30, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #129,537 of 150,611
I actually watched it. First time I've watched one of his videos. Very weird priorities. And at the end he says "I listened to it using a couple of headphones. You may ask why I listen, it's to make sure there's no distortion." ¯\_(⊙_ʖ⊙)_/¯

That's a legit question, though. I mean, why in the world would someone in their right mind listen to a headphone amp. That's just cray-cray. 👉🥴

Oct 30, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #129,538 of 150,611
Oct 30, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #129,540 of 150,611
A custom built or off-the shelf design stand of 20" wide and 15" deep would probably provide better ventilation and a nicer presentation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back