Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 29, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #129,436 of 150,656
Yeah, I need to be in the right mood for Mr. Jarrett, but all those jazz leaders did that to a certain extent.
Double bass players do it often.

Oct 29, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #129,439 of 150,656
Thinking about 'noisy musicians' let's not forget Brian Blade when he lets rip on his drum solos, particularly on the Trilogy albums, Vols 1 & 2 (Chick Corea Trio). His spectacular 'arghhhs' as he beats his drums to a near-death ... but he is truly quite brilliant ! The GUNGNIR MB superbly reveals his mastery with more vigour than my Chord QUTEST, which is no slouch when it comes to detail.
For sure ... Brian is one of my favorite jazz drummers - he's a beast but also very precise and technical. Those Trilogy albums with Chick and Christian McBride are superb.
Also, I just watched a YouTube video about Elvin Jones who, back in the day, was the best drummer around. His work with Coltrane is awesome.

Oct 29, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #129,440 of 150,656
Brian Blade that I remember from that performance
He's so enthusiastic, so in the moment, yet he has such a light touch and respect for the whole band. He's my favorite drummer to watch live. Eric Harland or Antonio Sanchez are more spectacular, Tyshawn Sorey or Obed Calvaire more out there, Jack DeJohnette or Rudy Royston more wide ranging, but Blade is the one that makes a whole gig gel together with a warmth and love (sorry for the schmalz) like no one else.

Oct 29, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #129,442 of 150,656
Stockfisch Records

As a counter to @wout31 's comments about schitty sounding records, I offer the Stockfisch "Direct Metal Master Cut Vinyl Series" (p.s. I'm pretty sure that's one word auf Deutsch - @ArmchairPhilosopher will you confirm?). :)

I have never heard any other LP that sounds this dynamic, with a dead silent background... not even the famed MFSL Original Master Recordings. I simply took them out of their sleeves, gave them a quick rotation with the AQ record brush, and gave them a spin. I usually run new LPs through a pass on the Spin-Clean (another amazing bargain!), but I did not this time, and I was not disappointed. Stockfisch deliver pristine surfaces on all their discs, right out of the sleeve.

IMG_0261.JPEGIMG_0257.JPEG

For the quality, these discs are a total bargain from €25.50 to €33.50. Sara K. Wooldridge is one of my absolute favorite artists. The Stockfisch version of "Water Falls" raised goosebumps... just unreal. I also have two additional LPs from Stockfisch, not metal cut masters, and they sound almost as spectacular (with maybe just a bit less dynamic range?) - but you'd never hear a difference if you didn't listen to them, side-by-side.

Highly recommended. I have zero financial interest in Stockfisch; I just really like their work... and p.s. - MJ3 was turned off or else I would have never set that record sleeve on top of it, just sayin'.

/ds
Sir, as good as the Spin-Clean is, you deserve better...

Sarah K is indeed wonderful!

Oct 29, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #129,443 of 150,656
He's so enthusiastic, so in the moment, yet he has such a light touch and respect for the whole band. He's my favorite drummer to watch live. Eric Harland or Antonio Sanchez are more spectacular, Tyshawn Sorey or Obed Calvaire more out there, Jack DeJohnette or Rudy Royston more wide ranging, but Blade is the one that makes a whole gig gel together with a warmth and love (sorry for the schmalz) like no one else.
Thanks for the ideas! Always looking for new (to me) music / musicians.

Oct 29, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #129,444 of 150,656
Glenn Gould hum-buzz'd, Solti was another noisy one.

Oct 29, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #129,447 of 150,656
The shop I worked for sold Zerostat, and they were great for giving other staff members an electric shock.

Oct 29, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #129,448 of 150,656
Loving the little Schiit MB2 with the new ZMF VC's....
1698612096625.png

1698612022702.png

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #129,449 of 150,656
Stockfisch Records

As a counter to @wout31 's comments about schitty sounding records, I offer the Stockfisch "Direct Metal Master Cut Vinyl Series" (p.s. I'm pretty sure that's one word auf Deutsch - @ArmchairPhilosopher will you confirm?). :)

I have never heard any other LP that sounds this dynamic, with a dead silent background... not even the famed MFSL Original Master Recordings. I simply took them out of their sleeves, gave them a quick rotation with the AQ record brush, and gave them a spin. I usually run new LPs through a pass on the Spin-Clean (another amazing bargain!), but I did not this time, and I was not disappointed. Stockfisch deliver pristine surfaces on all their discs, right out of the sleeve.

For the quality, these discs are a total bargain from €25.50 to €33.50. Sara K. Wooldridge is one of my absolute favorite artists. The Stockfisch version of "Water Falls" raised goosebumps... just unreal. I also have two additional LPs from Stockfisch, not metal cut masters, and they sound almost as spectacular (with maybe just a bit less dynamic range?) - but you'd never hear a difference if you didn't listen to them, side-by-side.

Highly recommended. I have zero financial interest in Stockfisch; I just really like their work... and p.s. - MJ3 was turned off or else I would have never set that record sleeve on top of it, just sayin'.

/ds
Not knocking the quality of the LP but the recording, mixing and mastering of her recordings are wonderful. I listen to the digital files of her and am just amazed. And of course her voice and writing make it happen!

Oct 29, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #129,450 of 150,656

So, the "measurement guy" failed to understand the entire purpose of Midgard's Halo topology. Finally, a Schiit product he could actually obsess over and measure to his heart's content, and yet the whole thing flies right by him. In fact, he seems to actually think that the 4-pin XLR socket is a balanced headphone out.

Shocker… 🙄

Users who are viewing this thread

Back