Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 29, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #129,422 of 150,611
The original ZeroStat. This one is about 45 years old

IMG_8939.jpeg
This photo captures one of the reasons why I am happy to have abandoned LPs in about 2000.

Oct 29, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #129,423 of 150,611
I turned on my main Schiit stack a few minutes ago to settle in with a book and some music. Within a minute of turning on the Freya N I started to hear an odd resonance. Turns out that a tube or tubes suddenly got very microphonic. Tapping anywhere on the stack or bookshelf immediately carried the ringing sound into the headphones. This is my first time experiencing it. I'm assuming that one of the 4 tubes has gone bad? They don't have a lot of hours on them, maybe a few hundred. I'm hoping it's one of the left-hand (cathode follower) tubes and not the more expensive voltage gain ones. I do have spares, thankfully.

Oct 29, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #129,427 of 150,611
Probably the most aggravating piece of equipment I ever bought. Once I realized I could just toss a disc into the degrittr to reset the static I tossed mine in the closet ha
I had that same wood stand and stuff in slots many decades ago but for some reason I keep thinking my Zersotat was red.

Oct 29, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #129,428 of 150,611
From my understanding cathode followers aren't affected as much by noisy tubes. I‘ve swapped tubes between stages for just that reason. Sadly, there’s no fixing a microphonic tube.
It was one of my 1960 Amperex Bugle Boys that went bad. Oh well. I have a spare HP-branded set from the same vintage. I'll roll in a pair of NOS Raytheons to mix things up a bit. Ill figure out later which Amperex went bad and see if I can get a closely matched replacement.

Oct 29, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #129,429 of 150,611
This photo captures one of the reasons why I am happy to have abandoned LPs in about 2000.
I rarely use any of that. To dust LPs I use a AQ brush and periodically clean the stylus. Rarely use anything else. But that kit is great and is a conversation piece. :)

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #129,431 of 150,611
Thinking about 'noisy musicians' let's not forget Brian Blade when he lets rip on his drum solos, particularly on the Trilogy albums, Vols 1 & 2 (Chick Corea Trio). His spectacular 'arghhhs' as he beats his drums to a near-death ... but he is truly quite brilliant ! The GUNGNIR MB superbly reveals his mastery with more vigour than my Chord QUTEST, which is no slouch when it comes to detail.

Oct 29, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #129,432 of 150,611
Thinking about 'noisy musicians' let's not forget Brian Blade when he lets rip on his drum solos, particularly on the Trilogy albums, Vols 1 & 2 (Chick Corea Trio). His spectacular 'arghhhs' as he beats his drums to a near-death ... but he is truly quite brilliant ! The GUNGNIR MB superbly reveals his mastery with more vigour than my Chord QUTEST, which is no slouch when it comes to detail.
I’ll have to look for those albums. I once saw Brian Blade at a Daniel Lanois mini-concert at Ameoba Records in Hollywood. I went to see Lanois, but it was Brian Blade that I remember from that performance. He and Art Blakey are a couple of my favorite drummers.

Oct 29, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #129,433 of 150,611
I’ll have to look for those albums. I once saw Brian Blade at a Daniel Lanois mini-concert at Ameoba Records in Hollywood. I went to see Lanois, but it was Brian Blade that I remember from that performance. He and Art Blakey are a couple of my favorite drummers.
Released by the Concord Jazz label in 2013 & 2018

1698598511453.png
1698598609906.png

Oct 29, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #129,434 of 150,611
Stockfisch Records

As a counter to @wout31 's comments about schitty sounding records, I offer the Stockfisch "Direct Metal Master Cut Vinyl Series" (p.s. I'm pretty sure that's one word auf Deutsch - @ArmchairPhilosopher will you confirm?). :)

I have never heard any other LP that sounds this dynamic, with a dead silent background... not even the famed MFSL Original Master Recordings. I simply took them out of their sleeves, gave them a quick rotation with the AQ record brush, and gave them a spin. I usually run new LPs through a pass on the Spin-Clean (another amazing bargain!), but I did not this time, and I was not disappointed. Stockfisch deliver pristine surfaces on all their discs, right out of the sleeve.

IMG_0261.JPEG
IMG_0257.JPEG

For the quality, these discs are a total bargain from €25.50 to €33.50. Sara K. Wooldridge is one of my absolute favorite artists. The Stockfisch version of "Water Falls" raised goosebumps... just unreal. I also have two additional LPs from Stockfisch, not metal cut masters, and they sound almost as spectacular (with maybe just a bit less dynamic range?) - but you'd never hear a difference if you didn't listen to them, side-by-side.

Highly recommended. I have zero financial interest in Stockfisch; I just really like their work... and p.s. - MJ3 was turned off or else I would have never set that record sleeve on top of it, just sayin'.

/ds

Oct 29, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #129,435 of 150,611

Users who are viewing this thread

Back