Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 17, 2023 at 10:26 PM Post #128,672 of 155,239
I actually prefer the remote that came with my AVR than the Harmony I have. I use the remote to control all my disc players, the TV, and the AVR. It is not perfect, but it allows me to learn another remote’s commands and shows which device is operating in an LCD window.

Oct 17, 2023 at 10:27 PM Post #128,673 of 155,239
This is a fair comment, and the sight of 3D-printed remote racks pains me.

To really fix it requires blowing up the IR paradigm entirely. Short of that, we really have two solutions:

1. A "does most" remote that only does critical stuff for most gear, based on our standard 18-button "large" remote. This won't do everything, and will definitely end up missing new products that may be introduced. Cost: cheap.
2. A "does mostly all" remote that is based on a larger remote factor, which is not standard and will take some tooling, etc. I'm seeing if this is an option with our remote supplier. Still can't anticipate new products. Cost: mid, if possible, mainly due to tooling, which is one-time and not a big deal.
3. A "does most all or all" remote based on our own tech (but still IR), programmable for new products. Problem is, this will need a screen. It will still be IR, so it won't be able to communicate with the devices it's controlling bi-directionally. This also is a reasonable size undertaking, and means tooling, machining, a custom chassis, custom board, screen, charging, etc. Cost: high, including the cost of the device, since it would be relatively low volume.
I much prefer two or three small device-specific remotes to one or two large remotes that have fifteen buttons that could control a device I don't even own, like so much of the industry foists on us. Clean and simple is best. Granted, I don't have three preamps and a couple of headphone amps and DACs I am juggling, either.

I like the form factor of PrimaLuna's remotes but maybe at 70% that size.

Oct 17, 2023 at 10:27 PM Post #128,674 of 155,239
3) So, what you're saying is that I was Dvořák in a prior live, wrote that piece myself, and Schiit's magical gear is what opens that door for my consciousness to travel through all the way back to those past lifes' experiences. Dang it, that actually makes sense. 😳
:head_bandage: is me after reading that.

Oct 17, 2023 at 10:42 PM Post #128,675 of 155,239
I like my Harmony task-based remotes, especially for the less techno-philic members of the household.

HST, sItting here listening to the Linn->MJ3, I use my phone/ipad to pick the music and then reach behind me (a bit like Reed Richards, aka Mr. Fantastic) to work the volume....

Oct 17, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #128,677 of 155,239
I have a Freya S and a Mjolnir 2 - both running balanced, they sound very different, but, very good - it's what makes our shared love of music so enjoyable...
Exactly. But two different animals. 😉

Oct 17, 2023 at 11:08 PM Post #128,678 of 155,239
Oct 17, 2023 at 11:26 PM Post #128,679 of 155,239
Rule of thumb: If your remote has a black or white LED on the side that's facing away from you, or a black, somewhat translucent plastic cover, it's an IR remote.
Most remotes these days are IR remotes, but there are exceptions.
All Schiit remotes are IR and require line of sight.

Fun fact: The first TVs with wireless remote controls used ultrasonics, not infrared. They had a little tweeter up front. Those were funky!
My grandfather had atv remote that was a tuning fork. You pushed one of the THREE buttons, and a striker hammered a metal bar, producing a to e of a certain frequency (inaudible to the human ear). And obediently, the channel moved up or down, or the whole shebang turned off. No volume control, you say? That was my job...

Oct 17, 2023 at 11:38 PM Post #128,680 of 155,239
I need this here hive mind's help with something that's been bugging me for (literally) years, if you'd kindly allow me to steer this thread away from the usual sign wave content and perpetual debate about everything that Schiit does wrong. Just for a second, I promise.

So, the second movement ("Menuetto. Allegro con moto," but sometimes also called "Tempo di Valse") of Antonín Dvořák's Serenade for Strings in E major, Op. 22 (B. 52).

I think most of us have heard it somewhere at least once or twice, right? So a certain "sense of familiarity" is pretty much unavoidable when one hears that particular piece.

But…

Whenever I hear that movement's theme, especially in its fully orchestrated version, I get practically steamrolled by a sense of deep intimacy with that piece that I just can't explain to myself. It's not like "Oh, I think I've heard that before somewhere. I like it. Let's move on."
God, no. I wish!
Instead, it's much more like a feeling of "GOSHDARNITNOTAGAINWHERETHEHELLDOIKNOWTHIS****INGPIECEFROMAAARRRGGGHHH!!!" … to put it lightly.

It feels to me like I must have been listening to it for at least a thousand times when I was a child or "youth," if you will. But I'll be damned if I could put my finger on why, though.

This movement must have been used in some form of "popular culture" around that time, meaning at some point in the 80s or early 90s. Maybe in some German TV ad, or as the theme of a German TV production of some sort, or maybe on the soundtrack of some German or American movie. I have absolutely no idea.

The usual go-to resources I have already exhausted; Google and Wikipedia were of no help. So, my hope is that maybe one of you folks can point me into a direction that would allow me to figure out what they used that darned movement for way back when so that I can !finally! ease my pain with this "inverse ear worm" of sorts.

I don't often do this. Asking for help, I mean. But…

Help! 😳
Maybe your parents played that piece often when you were very young?

I have a similar experience with the 9th symphony from Antonín Dvořák that my mother played daily when I was a toddler.

Oct 17, 2023 at 11:39 PM Post #128,681 of 155,239
Cut it out, guys. I'm this close to re-posting a certain picture. The launch codes have been retrieved from the football, and the finger is hovering over that big red button!
There is no big red button (except in Wargames, that is). I saw that movie in a theatre in Wichita, Kansas with, I’m pretty sure, half the Crew commanders and deputies who weren’t on alert from the 381st SMW (Strategic Missile Wing, Titan II). We laughed so hard…

Keys…

Oct 17, 2023 at 11:42 PM Post #128,682 of 155,239
A thousand years ago (2012), before Schiit had remote products I email and asked them to support the Apple remote and volume control on Bifrost.... and I think I post here too... Jason had a great point can't rely on Apple : )

That said what about smart Schiit products that learn the remote that the end users have?

C

PS. And how about a single ended Bifrost and LYR in a "Gungnir" chassis some cost saving on the chassis?

Oct 18, 2023 at 12:06 AM Post #128,683 of 155,239
Cut it out, guys. I'm this close to re-posting a certain picture. The launch codes have been retrieved from the football, and the finger is hovering over that big red button!
… well, we don’t have to fret over that button being a Schiit on / off switch - it’s too accessible 😄.

Oct 18, 2023 at 12:22 AM Post #128,684 of 155,239
I put my Tyrs in standby when I’m not using them and I don’t feel it negatively affects the sound when I turn them on. I have a reasonably good ear, but I can’t say I hear everything so maybe there is some quality that I’m not noticing. Anyway, I’m happy with the sound just after taking them out of standby.
I would really like to see the standby switch mounted on the rear panel. Just because.

Oct 18, 2023 at 2:18 AM Post #128,685 of 155,239

Users who are viewing this thread

Back