Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 16, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #128,552 of 150,828
I need this here hive mind's help with something that's been bugging me for (literally) years, if you'd kindly allow me to steer this thread away from the usual sign wave content and perpetual debate about everything that Schiit does wrong. Just for a second, I promise.

So, the second movement ("Menuetto. Allegro con moto," but sometimes also called "Tempo di Valse") of Antonín Dvořák's Serenade for Strings in E major, Op. 22 (B. 52).

I think most of us have heard it somewhere at least once or twice, right? So a certain "sense of familiarity" is pretty much unavoidable when one hears that particular piece.

But…

Whenever I hear that movement's theme, especially in its fully orchestrated version, I get practically steamrolled by a sense of deep intimacy with that piece that I just can't explain to myself. It's not like "Oh, I think I've heard that before somewhere. I like it. Let's move on."
God, no. I wish!
Instead, it's much more like a feeling of "GOSHDARNITNOTAGAINWHERETHEHELLDOIKNOWTHIS****INGPIECEFROMAAARRRGGGHHH!!!" … to put it lightly.

It feels to me like I must have been listening to it for at least a thousand times when I was a child or "youth," if you will. But I'll be damned if I could put my finger on why, though.

This movement must have been used in some form of "popular culture" around that time, meaning at some point in the 80s or early 90s. Maybe in some German TV ad, or as the theme of a German TV production of some sort, or maybe on the soundtrack of some German or American movie. I have absolutely no idea.

The usual go-to resources I have already exhausted; Google and Wikipedia were of no help. So, my hope is that maybe one of you folks can point me into a direction that would allow me to figure out what they used that darned movement for way back when so that I can !finally! ease my pain with this "inverse ear worm" of sorts.

I don't often do this. Asking for help, I mean. But…

Help! 😳

It's a very popular movement, widely played. I often listen to the UK's Classic FM for background music and this piece is often played.

Oct 16, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #128,553 of 150,828
I need this here hive mind's help with something that's been bugging me for (literally) years, if you'd kindly allow me to steer this thread away from the usual sign wave content and perpetual debate about everything that Schiit does wrong. Just for a second, I promise.

So, the second movement ("Menuetto. Allegro con moto," but sometimes also called "Tempo di Valse") of Antonín Dvořák's Serenade for Strings in E major, Op. 22 (B. 52).

I think most of us have heard it somewhere at least once or twice, right? So a certain "sense of familiarity" is pretty much unavoidable when one hears that particular piece.

But…

Whenever I hear that movement's theme, especially in its fully orchestrated version, I get practically steamrolled by a sense of deep intimacy with that piece that I just can't explain to myself. It's not like "Oh, I think I've heard that before somewhere. I like it. Let's move on."
God, no. I wish!
Instead, it's much more like a feeling of "GOSHDARNITNOTAGAINWHERETHEHELLDOIKNOWTHIS****INGPIECEFROMAAARRRGGGHHH!!!" … to put it lightly.

It feels to me like I must have been listening to it for at least a thousand times when I was a child or "youth," if you will. But I'll be damned if I could put my finger on why, though.

This movement must have been used in some form of "popular culture" around that time, meaning at some point in the 80s or early 90s. Maybe in some German TV ad, or as the theme of a German TV production of some sort, or maybe on the soundtrack of some German or American movie. I have absolutely no idea.

The usual go-to resources I have already exhausted; Google and Wikipedia were of no help. So, my hope is that maybe one of you folks can point me into a direction that would allow me to figure out what they used that darned movement for way back when so that I can !finally! ease my pain with this "inverse ear worm" of sorts.

Help! 😳
Fiddler on the Roof .... ish?

(Huge fan of old "classic musical" productions)

Oct 16, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #128,554 of 150,828

But…

God, no. I wish!

Help! 😳
I recognize it and I could easily believe that it has been used in films, but. I couldn’t pick out any film or other medium where I might have encountered it.

Edit: Although it does conjure images of European aristocracy dancing in elaborate rococo ball rooms. (That probably confuses the issue more than clarifies.)

Another Edit: Here is a IMDb listing for Dvorak where his music has been used in various films, I guess you could look through it and see if anything rings a bell.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0006053/?ref_=fn_al_nm_3

Yet More Edits:

From the above list, the films or TV shows that used it that I have heard of are things like “Arival” “The Simpsons” “Hannibal” and a few other things.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #128,555 of 150,828
I just jumped to this cuz of the picture. I have to do new knobs on one of my synthesizers that came with rubbery coated ones that are just gross now, so I'm going with colored aluminum and using set screws to adapt them to the shafts of the pots on my synthesizer (an Arturia Matrixbrute). I'll be doing mostly teal knobs (around the 85-87 in this picture), with purple at level controls (similar to the 20) so I can quickly tell at a glance what's affecting my gain staging, and then plain aluminum for the handful of endless encoders. It's not cheap, but this isn't exactly a cheap instrument and I'd be looking at around the same price for OEM replacements that are going to do this again in a few years, so I'd rather do this once and not think about it again. Thankfully all my other synths use normal plastic, so if I do this again it will only be for style points. There's a few companies that do glow in the dark parts....

Oct 16, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #128,556 of 150,828

But…

God, no. I wish!

Help! 😳
I recognize the work, and have listened to it often. Unfortunately, it's familiarity come from it's use [or truncated portions] in television commercials for arcane products. What products? I have no idea, but I do remember the music.
]

Oct 16, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #128,558 of 150,828

But…

God, no. I wish!

Help! 😳
Interesting question. Maybe it's was used in a movie you viewed often . (If not a damd TV commercial. The opening of Strauss's Also sprach Zarathustra used to advertise everything from margarine to underwear. I'd like to string those advertisers up by their...
One waltz scene that comes to mind immediately is the waltz scene in "The Russian Ark". A unique "one-shot" (I believe) film.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...ic+by+classical+composers+in+movies&FORM=VDRE

While were talking on classical, here's a favorite movie about a favorite work of mine with its amazing 2nd movement funeral march.

https://www.amazon.com/Eroica-Ian-Hart/dp/B000936H7S/ref=sr_1_1?crid=25LDYI1OIHMQU&keywords=Eroica&qid=1697498801&s=movies-tv&sprefix=eroica,movies-tv,69&sr=1-1.

Some dramatic license? Of course. But interesting and satisfying none the less, for me.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2023 at 7:42 PM Post #128,559 of 150,828
Unfortunately stainless galling is a real thing. Because all hardware we use and all parts we make have to be meticulously clean to prevent outgassing, we have to be real careful during assembly. Some of the young techs think they can just muscle things together and make it work. Wrong answer. Try that with $5000 telescope housing made from 316 stainless and lenses of similar cost and you just found yourself looking for another job. Then, try working with 0-80 screws in nice, soft copper. Fun times!
Someone in the same industry as me! Most of the screws we use are silver plated to prevent galling and vented with a hole down the center to avoid trapped volumes in some circumstances! We even have some customers who insist on gold plated 12 point bolts.

Oct 16, 2023 at 7:42 PM Post #128,560 of 150,828
Welp, Songtradr just laid off half the Bandcamp staff. Reminder to download all your content, who knows what their end goal is...
This news sucks. I hate corporate buyouts. 👎🏻

Oct 16, 2023 at 7:47 PM Post #128,561 of 150,828
Certain phrases in the strings during the main theme bring to mind the Karl Jenkins song 'Palladio' that was used to strong effect in the old De Beers diamond commercials. That was the first thing I thought of anyway.

Palladio

Oct 16, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #128,562 of 150,828
The name of the TV show that made use of the 3rd movement of Vaughn-Williams "Antarctica", always escapes me, and not remembering makes me insane!:confounded::angry:

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #128,563 of 150,828

But…

God, no. I wish!

Help! 😳

Try this list: https://www.antonin-dvorak.cz/en/dvorak-in-film/
Search the page for "serenade in e major" (14 occurrences). There are 6 occurrences specifically for the 2nd movement.

Wikipedia says Dvořák composed the entire serenade in two weeks, which is astounding.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2023 at 8:50 PM Post #128,564 of 150,828
It's a very popular movement, widely played. I often listen to the UK's Classic FM for background music and this piece is often played.
Yep, but no. It evokes a very specific connection to the soundtrack of some form of TV ad, TV show, or movie for me. Not radio.

Fiddler on the Roof .... ish?

(Huge fan of old "classic musical" productions)
I've never seen that one. I just checked, regardless. The Fiddler on the Roof theme reminds me a lot of some Tchaikovsky pieces, though.

I recognize it and I could easily believe that it has been used in films, but. I couldn’t pick out any film or other medium where I might have encountered it.
You'd be surprised, it pops up a lot less often than I would have thought.
Edit: Although it does conjure images of European aristocracy dancing in elaborate rococo ball rooms. (That probably confuses the issue more than clarifies.)

Another Edit: Here is a IMDb listing for Dvorak where his music has been used in various films, I guess you could look through it and see if anything rings a bell.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0006053/?ref_=fn_al_nm_3

Yet More Edits:

From the above list, the films or TV shows that used it that I have heard of are things like “Arival” “The Simpsons” “Hannibal” and a few other things.
None of the entries on that list really ring a bell, though, unfortunately…

I recognize the work, and have listened to it often. Unfortunately, it's familiarity come from it's use [or truncated portions] in television commercials for arcane products. What products? I have no idea, but I do remember the music.
Welcome to my world! ;p

Interesting question. Maybe it's was used in a movie you viewed often . (If not a damd TV commercial. The opening of Strauss's Also sprach Zarathustra used to advertise everything from margarine to underwear. I'd like to string those advertisers up by their...
One waltz scene that comes to mind immediately is the waltz scene in "The Russian Ark". A unique "one-shot" (I believe) film.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...ic+by+classical+composers+in+movies&FORM=VDRE

While were talking on classical, here's a favorite movie about a favorite work of mine with its amazing 2nd movement funeral march.

https://www.amazon.com/Eroica-Ian-Hart/dp/B000936H7S/ref=sr_1_1?crid=25LDYI1OIHMQU&keywords=Eroica&qid=1697498801&s=movies-tv&sprefix=eroica,movies-tv,69&sr=1-1.

Some dramatic license? Of course. But interesting and satisfying none the less, for me.
Never seen that one, I'm afraid…

Certain phrases in the strings during the main theme bring to mind the Karl Jenkins song 'Palladio' that was used to strong effect in the old De Beers diamond commercials. That was the first thing I thought of anyway.

Palladio
I know Jenkins' Palladio. And you're right, it was used in a tooooon of ads over the decades. But that's not it, it's Dvorak's movement specifically.

The name of the TV show that made use of the 3rd movement of Vaughn-Williams "Antarctica", always escapes me, and not remembering makes me insane!:confounded::angry:
I know that feeling. No idea, though, sorry…

Try this list: https://www.antonin-dvorak.cz/en/dvorak-in-film/
Search the page for "serenade in e major" (14 occurrences). There are 6 occurrences specifically for the 2nd movement.

Wikipedia says Dvořák composed the entire serenade in two weeks, which is astounding.
That's a great list, thanks for the link! But none of the occurrences of that movement on that list ring a bell for me…

Oct 16, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #128,565 of 150,828
They'll probably run warmer with a heavier load, something like Magnepan. The JBLs are 92dB efficient and rated for 25-250W, which is nothing to Tyr. Heck, I was able to drive them with 2 Gjallarhorns. Didn't sound super good but it was an unreasonable test scenario in any case, and someone not accustomed to caviar levels of audio gear may not have even noticed.
I'm probably not the only one here with a magnepan - tyr combo, but the amps don't get very warm . As the Schiit website claims, "Tyr doesn’t care too much what it’s connected to". That's certainly been true for me and one of the main reasons I purchased them. That and the stand by switches ( I have a solar array and can "island" with battery back up). Jason also did a pretty convincing job in his chapter announcing the turd.... I mean tyrs :sweat_smile: . After some time with the tyrs, I'd say they are a great combo with magnepan. Can't remember who, but someone else here noted the tyrs were a notable improvement over Adcom. I agree. A big level up for my system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back