Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 16, 2023 at 2:06 AM Post #128,506 of 153,376
Not quite same use case here, but my two cents. My main stack is 4 stories… From the bottom up, Freya S, Bifrost 2/64, Lokius, and a headamp. Headamps vary, but didn’t prefer Jotunheim 2, so she got sold. At the moment, using Lyr 1, which is a delight. No hum noticeable, ut your mileage (and ears) may vary. So what I recommend is try it stacked, and try it separated. Listen and see if there’s a difference. I would say that I’d start my separated test by putting Lokius to the right (as you face the front of the units), as this puts the sensitive bits furthest from the Jot ipower supply.
I’m interested in your results, please let us know if you hear a difference.

Figured I ought to mention that i have feet on my amps that are about twice as high as the stock ones (0.3” tall). Are the feet helping? No bloody idea, but it deserved a mention!
I’m trying to keep mine in a single vertical stack. no getting into mu-metal, etc.
The feet sound like a good idea, though. I will let everyone know how it works…

Oct 16, 2023 at 4:27 AM Post #128,507 of 153,376
Where’s the square drive? 🤪
It’s in another of their kits - needed to open one of these (of which I have also opened a few to straighten the pin and clean the contacts: :smiley:

IMG_3906.jpeg

Oct 16, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #128,511 of 153,376
My Valiant had that too. After the first tire shop destroyed one of my lugs I had to mention it every time I took the car in. Kids these days...
it gets really confusing when l/h means left hand side instead of left hand thread - so r/h thread on l/h of car and l/h thread on r/h of car except for some Italian cars where its the other way around !!!

Oct 16, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #128,513 of 153,376
I thought this might interest the Schiit Audio Loki/Lokius/Loki Max EQ fans on another companies interest in EQ...

McIntosh Brings Back the Standalone Graphic Equalizer | Sound & Vision
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/mcintosh-brings-back-standalone-graphic-equalizer

1697462161382.png

The standalone graphic equalizer that was once a staple of hi-fi systems is making a comeback at McIntosh.
The company today introduced the MQ112 Environmental Equalizer, an eight-band graphic EQ with an adjustment range of ±12 dB at key frequency bands between 25 Hz and 10 kHz and a Tilt knob for controlling the effect of the equalization.

The new equalizer ships in October with a $3,000 price tag.

In the press release announcing the MQ112, McIntosh said: “Rather than tinkering with room treatments, speaker placement, or even reorganizing the entire room to optimize the acoustics of their sound system, the MQ112 lets enthusiasts fine-tune the mix and balance of frequencies to craft the ideal sonic profile for any listening space — or compensate for the imperfections in vintage recordings for the clearest reproduction of their sound.”

The equalizer, which is placed between the preamp and power amplifier, has eight bands centered at 25 Hz, 50 Hz, 100 Hz, 200 Hz, and 400 Hz at the lower end of the spectrum and 1 kHz, 3 kHz, and 10 kHz at the higher end. In and Out modes, the latter of which bypasses the EQ circuit, make it easy to hear the effect by quickly comparing equalized and non-equalized sound. The Tilt control shifts the tonal balance by boosting bass or treble ±6 dB across the entire frequency range.

Balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA inputs and outputs are provided to accommodate any audio setup, and a second set of outputs enables the equalizer to be used with two stereo systems or two subwoofers or to bi-amp a pair of speakers. In more sophisticated setups, the MQ112 can be connected through the processor loops or tape monitor record/play connections on many preamplifiers and integrated amplifiers.

The MQ112 sports a classic McIntosh design featuring an illuminated green logo, black glass faceplate, rotary control knobs, and aluminum end caps. For more information, visit mcintoshlabs.com.

Oct 16, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #128,514 of 153,376
I like socket flat heads.
Wait until those hex sockets become round. You still gonna like them then, especially when they're 2-56's or M2's?

Oct 16, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #128,515 of 153,376
I just bought a bunch, with a black oxide finish. Previously I thought only food gets marinated. So much oil!
In other words, black rust. Leave 'em out and the humidity in your area will soon turn that black into red. Those (black oxide SHCS) might work well in bolting high vacuum pieces together, but not in military/aerospace environments.

Oct 16, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #128,516 of 153,376
Was thinking, "proper" cable.
Hmm...
Does this mean I have to wear long pants when I listen?

Ha!

:>)
Alex
Only if they go with the tuxedo. :ksc75smile:
Not wanting to get into a cable argument, it is my belief that I can hear more difference in headphone cables than interconnects and speaker cables with one caveat. A person is comparing cables of fairly pure copper and similar wire gauge and strand count with similar quality of construction. Personally like some litz wire as well as some I got from Belden, nothing extremely fancy or expensive but they have done well in my comparisons. To be honest I have not talked to Zach in ages and I am not sure what he is offering now. I have worked with stock cables from Senn, Focal, OPPO, and some of the earlier Dan Clark cables. I may want to see what you receive from ZMF so that I know if I can help. :beerchug:

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #128,517 of 153,376
My bedroom system currently is a Bifrost 2/64 stacked underneath a Jotunheim 1.
I am thinking of getting a Lokius (to go on top of BF2 and under J1) and noted that Jason recommend not putting Lokius near an inductor/power transformer due to hum, saturation, etc.
For anyone that has a Lokius and a BF/2 and/or J1, how far apart do you have them located?

Thanks!
I have a BF 2/64 under a Jot2 with a Lokius sandwiched between. Balanced connections all around. I can't hear anything unless I turn everything all the way up (no music of course). At normal/elevated listening levels, all I hear is the music.

Oct 16, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #128,519 of 153,376
I have a BF 2/64 under a Jot2 with a Lokius sandwiched between. Balanced connections all around. I can't hear anything unless I turn everything all the way up (no music of course). At normal/elevated listening levels, all I hear is the music.
Thanks for the info. Sound’s just like what I’m planning to do. Guess I’ll get an order in for the Lokius!
If this works, I have an idea for a real bypass on the eq using the unbalanced jacks and the J1 input switch.
should be worth a try…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back