Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 15, 2023 at 8:37 PM Post #128,491 of 155,131
Oct 15, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #128,493 of 155,131
Question for all you schiitheads.

I have a secondary, bedside headphone system. I'm debating between Bifrost 2/64 and a nice DAP (as a DAC; line out into my amp).

• As a DAC, how do modern DAPs like the Sony W1AM2 compare to the BF2/64?
    • To be honest, I still question the effectiveness of a DAP when I can use my phone and a Questyle M15 with Roon, Spotify, etc..?
  • In going with the BF2, do folks think it's worth purchasing the Pi2AES over using the RPi4 USB output?
    • I love my Pi2AES with my Yggy in the other system, primarily for its AES connection -- but, wondering if folks prefer optical or coax over Unison...
Appreciate you all. :)
I only use Unison

Oct 15, 2023 at 10:05 PM Post #128,494 of 155,131
Thorens & SME, sweet!

What phono cartridge?

Sumiko Blue Point.

The TD160 was bought new around 1983. The SME 3009 Series II Improved cost me (new from the Audible Difference in Palo Alto) $90 around 1979, when they were selling out their SME stock.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #128,495 of 155,131

I have a secondary, bedside headphone system. I'm debating between Bifrost 2/64 and a nice DAP (as a DAC; line out into my amp).

• To be honest, I still question the effectiveness of a DAP when I can use my phone and a Questyle M15 with Roon, Spotify, etc..?
  • In going with the BF2, do folks think it's worth purchasing the Pi2AES over using the RPi4 USB output?
    • I love my Pi2AES with my Yggy in the other system, primarily for its AES connection -- but, wondering if folks prefer optical or coax over Unison...
I may not actually answer your question, but I’ll blather on about whatever comes to mind from what you wrote…

Unison is a really good USB implementation. I have used a coax hat on a RPi running Volumio on my main living room system and there is a faint possibility that I am hearing just a little bit more clarity out of the coax. I ran into a similar slightly better quality when using the coax out of my DVD player to play CDs rather than playing Apple Lossless files from a Mac Mini using USB. The improvement isn’t enough (or more accurately I can’t hear enough improvement) that I am willing to lose the advantages of using Audrivana through the USB.

I use a RPi running Volumio with a Jot2 with the basic DAC module and a Gjallarhorn for my bedroom system. The acoustics in that room are not good enough that it’s worth pushing for a better system. I’m pretty sure that I would have to do a lot of work on speaker placement and room acoustics to have any reason to go with a better playback system.

I know nothing about the DAC in the W1AM2 so I can’t really say whether it would be comparable or better than a Bifrost 2/64. I’m guessing the Bifrost would be better as it has more room for better analog output electronics. I will say I really like the Bifrost. I guess the W1AM2 only makes sense if you really like its user interface and you want the ability to use it as a portable music player. My inclination would be to go with a RPi with USB or an output hat. I’d guess coax is fine over short runs and AES would be useful if you have a lot of cable that might cause noise. Actually the Bifrost (or Modi Multibit) doesn’t have an AES input (just USB, Coax and Optical) so I would go with a coax hat or just use USB.

While I can’t say I’ve had bad experiences with optical, I’ve heard many say that it has some limitations that make it the less preferred choice for digital input. Coax sounds very good. Unison USB sounds really good too. I don’t think you’d go wrong with either input.

Oct 15, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #128,497 of 155,131

I mainly use unison with my bifrost 2/64 and raspberry pi(es). But I couldn’t tell a difference between coax and unison when I did A/B comparison. Unison is better than optical though IMO. Optical has bandwidth limitations. Optical is fine for TV use though. But Unison is nice because I was able to free up the coax input and use that for my Blu-ray instead of the Pi. And then I use a little usb switcher to run usb from my Pi and an old google phone as a DAP.

Oct 15, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #128,498 of 155,131
Oct 15, 2023 at 11:45 PM Post #128,500 of 155,131
Whelp.

Vinyl playback is part voodoo.

While waiting for the Schiit crew to return from their weekend and answer my email, I tried one last time to unplug and reseat all interconnects, including the tone arm wires and everything is working perfectly again.

I can not explain any of this, especially the noise through the second amp, unless no input into the Mani causes that.

But I’m happily listening to records again.

And I also told info@schiit to move on from my query.

Thanks to all who weighed in.

Oct 15, 2023 at 11:50 PM Post #128,501 of 155,131
Whelp.

Vinyl playback is part voodoo.

While waiting for the Schiit crew to return from their weekend and answer my email, I tried one last time to unplug and reseat all interconnects, including the tone arm wires and everything is working perfectly again.

I can not explain any of this, especially the noise through the second amp, unless no input into the Mani causes that.

But I’m happily listening to records again.

And I also told info@schiit to move on from my query.

Thanks to all who weighed in.

It could be a loose rca cable connection. Cleaning those with a good contact cleaner and tightening the outer ground connection is good practice.

Glad all is well!

I’m also not inclined to send my Kara preamp. It’s working fine.

Oct 16, 2023 at 12:52 AM Post #128,502 of 155,131
My bedroom system currently is a Bifrost 2/64 stacked underneath a Jotunheim 1.
I am thinking of getting a Lokius (to go on top of BF2 and under J1) and noted that Jason recommend not putting Lokius near an inductor/power transformer due to hum, saturation, etc.
For anyone that has a Lokius and a BF/2 and/or J1, how far apart do you have them located?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2023 at 1:19 AM Post #128,503 of 155,131
I thought iFixit has me covered well... but I'm not seeing that one.

81EM7o-lfcL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
It’s the one between the cross-slot and the security torx, apparently there are different symbols for pentalobe. I’ve used this specific kit to open several iPhones, so I know it works.

Oct 16, 2023 at 1:49 AM Post #128,504 of 155,131
My bedroom system currently is a Bifrost 2/64 stacked underneath a Jotunheim 1.
I am thinking of getting a Lokius (to go on top of BF2 and under J1) and noted that Jason recommend not putting Lokius near an inductor/power transformer due to hum, saturation, etc.
For anyone that has a Lokius and a BF/2 and/or J1, how far apart do you have them located?

Thanks!
Not quite same use case here, but my two cents. My main stack is 4 stories… From the bottom up, Freya S, Bifrost 2/64, Lokius, and a headamp. Headamps vary, but didn’t prefer Jotunheim 2, so she got sold. At the moment, using Lyr 1, which is a delight. No hum noticeable, ut your mileage (and ears) may vary. So what I recommend is try it stacked, and try it separated. Listen and see if there’s a difference. I would say that I’d start my separated test by putting Lokius to the right (as you face the front of the units), as this puts the sensitive bits furthest from the Jot ipower supply.
I’m interested in your results, please let us know if you hear a difference.

Figured I ought to mention that i have feet on my amps that are about twice as high as the stock ones (0.3” tall). Are the feet helping? No bloody idea, but it deserved a mention!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back