Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 10, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #128,071 of 150,081
For those interested in the 2"x2"x7/8" rubber/cork anti-vibration pads, the best price I've found is $0.64 each from here
I bought about 100 of them back when they were $0.40 each last year (the rubber smell fades to nothing in about a week)

Using a small army of them while A/B-ing a couple of Gungnirs (A1 vs A2 boards) :)
gungnir-A1-vs-A2.jpg

This model is $28 for 100. They don't really give specs so I don't know the differences between the various types, or the sorbothane version.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Bluefin-VPRC-200-Rubber-Cork-Anti-Vibration-Pad-2-x-2-x-7-8

Price is good but I like Herbies story better, even though his pads are 10x+++ more expensive.

Oct 10, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #128,072 of 150,081
This model is $28 for 100. They don't really give specs so I don't know the differences between the various types, or the sorbothane version.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Bluefin-VPRC-200-Rubber-Cork-Anti-Vibration-Pad-2-x-2-x-7-8

Price is good but I like Herbies story better, even though his pads are 10x+++ more expensive.
Nice find! And could very well be the same thing even though they are listed as coming from different manufacturers.
DiversiTech had an external site with the classic coming up in the 70s background story.
Couldn't find anything about BlueFin though, but I'm sure there's something out there, somewhere ...

Can't knock Herbies story!
And if at the end of the day the music puts a tap in your toe and a smile on your face then all is right with the world :)

Oct 10, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #128,073 of 150,081
@mjstealey Do the rubber surfaces mark wood? I'm thinking of giving my centre speaker a bit of a lift. I'm currently using the patented @bcowen cardboard isolation method...

IMG_20231010_131744.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #128,074 of 150,081
When I downsized and sold almost all my electronics earlier this year I had a couple Ziplock bags full of various Herbie's pieces parts from feet to to discs.
I thought I'd never have any use for them but brought them with me anyway when I moved.

After I had my living room completely set up with home theater and Schiit Rag & Loki Max to use with my RAAL HP's what I didn't have was a spot to place the HP's that was deep enough to accommodate the stands. I didn't want to put them back in the 2nd bedroom or main bedroom, that would have been a PITA given how often I use the RAAL's to watch movies.

An off-the-shelf, shelf solution, from Amazon and 4 Herbie's Tenderfeet (to protect the finish on my Sonus Sub) and it's voila! With Duct Tape, Flex Tape, and Herbie's there is virtually nothing you can't accomplish! Some might come in handy when I put together my new flight simulator with all hardware peripherals.
Ya never know what you need until you need it, and then you know exactly what you need.
1696967090573.png

1696966603028.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #128,075 of 150,081
@mjstealy Do the rubber surfaces mark wood? I'm thinking of giving my centre speaker a bit of a lift. I'm currently using the patented @bcowen cardboard isolation method...

The cardboard is definitely classy but I don't see any reason why Herbie's would mar the finish.
Contact Herbie's Audio Lab and ask them. They will probably want to know the finish on the woods (hand rubbed, satin or gloss varnish, etc.).
While I was never concerned with vibration control, given that your using it with multiple speaker boxes it could be a plus if it helps minimize
vibrations being transmitted between the boxes as the various speaker cones may transfer vibrations between the 3(?) cabinet(s).

Edit: Is that a blu-ray player sitting on top of the top speaker? You probably don't want vibration going thru that

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #128,076 of 150,081
Would anyone be willing to share their experiences with selling gear in the classifieds on here? I have some Schiit to send on to a new owner, but have never sold anything here.

Oct 10, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #128,077 of 150,081
I sold over 30 items last year. Every piece was in mint condition with all original packaging as evidenced by the photos I posted in the adds. As I had previously posted as to the why ( a hearing issue suddenly appeared after my 76th birthday that is un-treatable), no explanation was needed. Every buyer was a Head-fier and familiar to me thru many conversations here and in PM's and posts on this thread over several years.. (Beware of new posters with only 1 or 2 posts. I never encountered one with my sales but the how to use the Classifieds post does address that if I remember correctly) All were in the US but one who was north of the boarder. I decided I would not sell to any other locales than US and Canada. I had 3(# corrected) buyers who took several pieces that drove to me to pick them up in person.

Keep in mind not only the sale price but shipping and insurance costs and PayPal fees as well, especially if it is a piece of electronics. Do you or the customer want a signature at delivery? People used to go with the friends and family pay method for no fee but I think all that has changed and it may still be re-portable.

Have a PayPal account to receive payments. I would then have PayPal transfer it to my bank account, I let them do it slow boat way for no additional fees. There is a fee for every sale received, I think it was around 3% in 2022.

Keep a close tracking of what you sold, to who, address and phone number and e-mail. for how much and the costs involved. (I have a folder as thick as a Sears catalogue of documentation of sales / purchases going back to Jan 2016 when I returned to the hobby in earnest. Mostly e-mail receipts and listings of purchases with companies like Schiit has) and the buyers info. It's also all backed up to a USB drive.) There may be a starting limit of $600.00 or something, for reporting, but rules change all the time and are dictated by IRS.

You also need to have documentation to backup the fact that you sold for less than you paid in the event of audit so no capital gain.
As you are not actually a business you can't write-off any loss.

There is a form (can't remember which one now) that goes with your tax return, if audited (unlikely) and PayPal is required to issue a 1099 for received payments.

Your buyer can initiate the sale payment to your PayPal account or you can have an invoice sent by PayPal to the buyer.
Certified bank checks and legitimate money orders may be okay but the "Know Your Customer " rule is in full force and effect. If your selling something the buyer is your "customer".

With 40 years in banking before retiring I knew of 2 money transfers of substantial amounts that got reversed and the recipients lost their money.

My biggest sale was was a certified check from someone I knew well. There was no 1099 involved but I reported it anyway because I was able to document my costs recovered were about 50% and wanted to see if it triggered anything so I could dance into the IRS office and sing "Na,Na,Na Na Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!" I made my my last 2 sales in early 2023, I'll report them and that will be the end of it.

I didn't realize how much moola I had invested until I started selling the stuff, and it was beaucoup bucks. I felt fortunate to have recouped around 50% plus or minus some shipping and insurance costs. When ever possible I'd throw in some extras (accessories (but not Herbie's LOL), tubes, CD's, hp stands, etc., stuff I foresaw no future use for.

Side Bar: I do like using PayPal to pay sellers, rather than have my credit card numbers and other info floating around in a hack-able database with perhaps dozens of selling entities. And no fee (yet) to use it to pay others.

There is a post somewhere on this website that speaks to how to use the classifieds. I believe the info above is accurate but subject to correction,
and Good luck!

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #128,078 of 150,081
I sold over 30 items last year. Every piece was in mint condition as evidenced by the photos I posted in the add. As I had previously posted as to the why ( a hearing issue suddenly appeared after my 76th birthday that is un-treatable), no explanation was needed. Every buyer was a Head-fier and familiar to me thru many conversations here and in PM's over several years.. All were in the US but one who was north of the boarder. I decided I would not sell to any other locales than US and Canada. I had 2 buyers who took several pieces that drove to me to pick them up in person.

Keep in mind not only the sale price but shipping and insurance costs and PayPal fees as well, especially if it a piece of electronics. Do you or the customer want a signature at delivery? People used to go with the friends and family pay method for no fee but I think all that has changed and it may still be re-portable.
Have PayPal account to receive payments. I would then have PayPal transfer it to my bank account, I let them do it slow boat way for no additional fees. There is a fee for every sale received, I think it was around 3% in 2022.
Keep a close tracking of what you sold, to who, address and phone number and e-mail. for how much and the costs involved. (I have a folder as thick as Sears catalogue of documentation of sales/ purchases 2022 mostly e-mail receipts and listings of purchases with companies like Schiit has) and the buyers info. It's also all backed up to a USB drive.) There may be a starting limit of $600.00 or something, rules change all the time and are dictated by IRS.
You also need to have documentation to backup the fact that you sold for less than you paid in case of audit so no capital gain.
There is a form *can't remember which one now) that goes with your tax return, if audited (unlikely) and PayPal is required to issue a 1099 for received payments.
Your buyer can initiate the sale payment to your PayPal account or you can have an invoice sent by PayPal to the buyer.
Certified bank checks and legitimate money orders may be okay but the "Know Your Customer " rule is in full force and effect.
With 40 years in banking before retiring I knew of 2 money transfers of substantial amounts that got reversed and the recipients lost their money.
My biggest sale was was a certified check from someone I knew well. There was no 1099 involved but I reported it anyway because I was able to document my costs recovered were about 50% and wanted to see if it triggered anything so I could dance into the IRS and dance and sing "Na,Na,Na Na Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!" I sold my made my last 2 sales in early 2023, I'll report them and that will be the end of.
I didn't realize how moola I had invested until I started selling the stuff, and it was beaucoup bucks. I felt fortunate to have recouped around 50% plus or minus some shipping and insurance costs. When ever possible I'd throw in some extras (accessories (but not Herbie's LOL), tubes, CD's hp stands, etc., stuff I foresaw no future use for.
Side Bar: I do like using PayPal to pay sellers, rather than have my credit card numbers and other info floating around in a hack-able database with perhaps dozens of selling entities. And no fee (yet) to use it to pay others..
There is a post somewhere on this website that speaks to how to use the classifieds. I believe the info above is accurate but subject to correction,
and Good luck!
Excellent advice! Glad to have a post lay everything out so simple! *epic*

Oct 10, 2023 at 6:53 PM Post #128,079 of 150,081
Excellent advice! Glad to have a post lay everything out so simple! *epic*
I was one of the major purchasers and the condition of gear as well as paperwork received was amazing. I drove a cargo van there and needed it.😀😀

Oh and a year later all gear is going strong, used daily and much appreciated.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2023 at 7:56 PM Post #128,080 of 150,081
I sold over 30 items last year. Every piece was in mint condition as evidenced by the photos I posted in the add. As I had previously posted as to the why ( a hearing issue suddenly appeared after my 76th birthday that is un-treatable), no explanation was needed. Every buyer was a Head-fier and familiar to me thru many conversations here and in PM's over several years.. All were in the US but one who was north of the boarder. I decided I would not sell to any other locales than US and Canada. I had 2 buyers who took several pieces that drove to me to pick them up in person.

Keep in mind not only the sale price but shipping and insurance costs and PayPal fees as well, especially if it is a piece of electronics. Do you or the customer want a signature at delivery? People used to go with the friends and family pay method for no fee but I think all that has changed and it may still be re-portable.

Have a PayPal account to receive payments. I would then have PayPal transfer it to my bank account, I let them do it slow boat way for no additional fees. There is a fee for every sale received, I think it was around 3% in 2022.

Keep a close tracking of what you sold, to who, address and phone number and e-mail. for how much and the costs involved. (I have a folder as thick as a Sears catalogue of documentation of sales / purchases going back to Jan 2016 when I returned to the hobby in earnest. Mostly e-mail receipts and listings of purchases with companies like Schiit has) and the buyers info. It's also all backed up to a USB drive.) There may be a starting limit of $600.00 or something, for reporting, but rules change all the time and are dictated by IRS.

You also need to have documentation to backup the fact that you sold for less than you paid in the event of audit so no capital gain.

There is a form (can't remember which one now) that goes with your tax return, if audited (unlikely) and PayPal is required to issue a 1099 for received payments.

Certified bank checks and legitimate money orders may be okay but the "Know Your Customer " rule is in full force and effect. If your selling something the buyer is your "customer".

My biggest sale was was a certified check from someone I knew well. There was no 1099 involved but I reported it anyway because I was able to document my costs recovered were about 50% and wanted to see if it triggered anything so I could dance into the IRS office and sing "Na,Na,Na Na Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!" I made my my last 2 sales in early 2023, I'll report them and that will be the end of it.

I didn't realize how much moola I had invested until I started selling the stuff, and it was beaucoup bucks. I felt fortunate to have recouped around 50% plus or minus some shipping and insurance costs. When ever possible I'd throw in some extras (accessories (but not Herbie's LOL), tubes, CD's, hp stands, etc., stuff I foresaw no future use for.

Side Bar: I do like using PayPal to pay sellers, rather than have my credit card numbers and other info floating around in a hack-able database with perhaps dozens of selling entities. And no fee (yet) to use it to pay others.

and Good luck!
Thanks for the detailed response!

Oct 10, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #128,082 of 150,081

Keep in mind not only the sale price but shipping and insurance costs and PayPal fees as well, especially if it a piece of electronics. Do you or the customer want a signature at delivery? People used to go with the friends and family pay method for no fee but I think all that has changed and it may still be re-portable.
Have PayPal account to receive payments. I would then have PayPal transfer it to my bank account, I let them do it slow boat way for no additional fees. There is a fee for every sale received, I think it was around 3% in 2022.
Keep a close tracking of what you sold, to who, address and phone number and e-mail. for how much and the costs involved. (I have a folder as thick as Sears catalogue of documentation of sales/ purchases 2022 mostly e-mail receipts and listings of purchases with companies like Schiit has) and the buyers info. It's also all backed up to a USB drive.) There may be a starting limit of $600.00 or something, rules change all the time and are dictated by IRS.
You also need to have documentation to backup the fact that you sold for less than you paid in case of audit so no capital gain.
There is a form *can't remember which one now) that goes with your tax return, if audited (unlikely) and PayPal is required to issue a 1099 for received payments.
My biggest sale was was a certified check from someone I knew well. There was no 1099 involved but I reported it anyway because I was able to document my costs recovered were about 50% and wanted to see if it triggered anything so I could dance into the IRS office and sing "Na,Na,Na Na Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!" I made my made my last 2 sales in early 2023, I'll report them and that will be the end of it.
I didn't realize how much moola I had invested until I started selling the stuff, and it was beaucoup bucks. I felt fortunate to have recouped around 50% plus or minus some shipping and insurance costs. When ever possible I'd throw in some extras (accessories (but not Herbie's LOL), tubes, CD's hp stands, etc., stuff I foresaw no future use for.
Side Bar: I do like using PayPal to pay sellers, rather than have my credit card numbers and other info floating around in a hack-able database with perhaps dozens of selling entities. And no fee (yet) to use it to pay others..
and Good luck!
Sales taxes are the buyer’s responsibility but what other tax reporting are you referring to? Are used audio sales triggering capital gains? I do not think so.

Oct 10, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #128,083 of 150,081
As you are not a business I don't believe there is any sales tax for you as seller as my accountant advised when they prepared my 2022 return. Capital Gains is what I am referring to. It is unlikely to sell for more than you paid unless its classic gear from Dynaco, Marantz, Audio Research that command prices 10 or more times what they cost when purchased new. Different States may have different requirements on State returns and sales of "used" equipment. That's how its referred to on my Federal return.

It's possible that IRS might ask you to support the loss thru documentation if your audited. It's like trying to talk a cop out of a speeding or parking ticket. Report properly and cooperate (as in me a culpa) is your best bet at a lenient sentence, LOL.

It's reported on Form 1 and Schedule D (3 pages of it). Maybe elsewhere too, my return is over 50 pages long. A lot of it seems irrelevant to me but that's IRS, supporting the Accounting industry.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #128,084 of 150,081
Note, I made some slight edits to the above. It's always best to talk with a tax accountant. One year I had a sizeable cap gains and reported and paid the correct amount of tax for the gain. However, I failed to note some specifics on schedule D and they sent me a nice letter, certified mail, to pay $37.00 for failing to fill in "all" the forms.

That was the last year I filed my own return, it only costs me less than $300.00 and 1 hour each year of the accountant's time to file my Federal, State and Local returns electronically on computer and give me a full hard copy. (electronic filing in late February got me my refunds to me in 2 to 3 weeks). And being OCD about such matters, I always go prepared with exact records of med expense, rental R/E taxes, donations, etc. And they have picked up on changes that I wasn't aware of and saved me money in some instances and saved me a lot of time and aggravation. Up until I retired my returns were pretty easy to do. Once I retired they became more complicated. Nuff said.

And if you are a PayPal user a 1099 will be generated to IRS and you, if audited IRS may want to talk to you about not including and accounting for it in your return regardless if its a profit or a loss.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #128,085 of 150,081
Deleted post. Apologies.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back