Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 4, 2023 at 10:11 PM Post #127,756 of 155,124
Thanks to the helpful urging of @mystaiced, a Freya N is now inbound to my living room. My first piece of Schiit and it will be followed by an Aegir and ultimately some Zu speakers once I've got the money saved up for those.
I've been eyeballing the Zu DWX myself - still trying to convince my wife that they are "bookshelf" speakers :)
I bet they'd sing quite nicely through some tube buffered Freya N goodness and a pair of mono-blocked Aegirs

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2023 at 10:20 PM Post #127,757 of 155,124
I've been eyeballing the Zu DWX myself - still trying to convince my wife that they are "bookshelf" speakers :wink:
I bet they'd sing quite nicely though some tube buffered Freya N goodness and a pair of mono-blocked Aegirs
As yet undecided between the DW6 and DWX. With the X's requirement of stands that have to be of the correct height, the price difference basically becomes a wash. The floorstanders are dead simple to set up while the standmounts give more placement options as far as rotating to place the super tweeter higher or lower than the main driver.

And yeah, my audio fairy godmother is whispering into my ear all kinds of promises of magical synergy between N, Aegir, and Zus. 🫠

Oct 4, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #127,758 of 155,124
As yet undecided between the DW6 and DWX. With the X's requirement of stands that have to be of the correct height, the price difference basically becomes a wash. The floorstanders are dead simple to set up while the standmounts give more placement options as far as rotating to place the super tweeter higher or lower than the main driver.

And yeah, my audio fairy godmother is whispering into my ear all kinds of promises of magical synergy between N, Aegir, and Zus. 🫠
The DW6 would be my personal preference, but I'm limited to bookshelf speakers for the time being (kids, dog, WAF, etc.)
Currently using some wooden cube organizers (1 wide by 2 cubes tall) that are large enough to hold my vinyl as speaker stands.
They would coincidentally also be the right height for the DWX ... so that will likely be where I end up.
:beerchug:

Oct 4, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #127,759 of 155,124
The DW6 would be my personal preference, but I'm limited to bookshelf speakers for the time being (kids, dog, WAF, etc.)
Currently using some wooden cube organizers (1 wide by 2 cubes tall) that are large enough to hold my vinyl as speaker stands.
They would coincidentally also be the right height for the DWX ... so that will likely be where I end up.
Sounds solid! Hope you can convince the wife. :)

Oct 4, 2023 at 11:38 PM Post #127,760 of 155,124
I never heard the Aegirs or any Zu speakers. But I have read enough reviews of each to assume that this must be a match made in heaven. You will be a happy man. Now go find that $2k.

Oct 5, 2023 at 12:28 AM Post #127,761 of 155,124
So… Today a good friend loaned me their Mjolnir 3 for evaluation and (let’s admit it) fun. Also included were some cork risers because the darned thing gets Hot! And, being a dumb so-and-so, I managed to install half of them upside down. Didn’t notice until it was good and hot, so i got the gloves out!
1696480071279.png

Oct 5, 2023 at 12:31 AM Post #127,762 of 155,124
Just want to say Zu and Schiit amps and dacs make a great pairing.

Been watching Dune (the new version) over the past few days. Zu DW, Rag 2, Yggy Og.

Its been a very fun experience.

And then when my 5 yo boy wants to be my buddy, Tom Petty puts him to sleep on the couch before Free Fallin has finished playing....

Oct 5, 2023 at 12:32 AM Post #127,763 of 155,124
So… Today a good friend loaned me their Mjolnir 3 for evaluation and (let’s admit it) fun. Also included were some cork risers because the darned thing gets Hot! And, being a dumb so-and-so, I managed to install half of them upside down. Didn’t notice until it was good and hot, so i got the gloves out!

…and to think that I had missed the destructions for the extra-special audiophile grade risers. Reproduced here for your enjoyment!
1696480359307.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2023 at 5:03 AM Post #127,765 of 155,124
"Known by the State of Cancer to contain materials that may cause California." Brilliant!

Oct 5, 2023 at 7:50 AM Post #127,766 of 155,124
"Known by the State of Cancer to contain materials that may cause California." Brilliant!
I wish I could take credit for that line, but I think I heard that somewhere else a few years ago. Can’t remember where, though…
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The cheap cork stoppers audiophool grade Amplification Device Raisers™️* are available for purchase, by the way, just PM me for details.

$4.99 for a set of 4, plus shipping and handling. $499 for a cryo treated set of 4 and $1,499 for a set of eight.

Act soon! Supply is highly limited on account of Mojito being on a strict 0.25 hour work week and I do NOT want to get on his union’s bad side. Their senior rep, Finnegan, is a real tiger. 😳

*not actually a trademark

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #127,767 of 155,124
Yes, we'll be there. Including me.

Seems like there's a meadery nearby too...interesting!
I asked my wife if she wanted to go and she said no (she already has plans that weekend). When I said Jason and Schiit are going she said "Then go with them". So @Jason Stoddard, we have my wifes permission if we want to go together 🤣😂

Oct 5, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #127,768 of 155,124
I've been eyeballing the Zu DWX myself - still trying to convince my wife that they are "bookshelf" speakers :)
I bet they'd sing quite nicely through some tube buffered Freya N goodness and a pair of mono-blocked Aegirs
I'd love to see and hear them when you get them!!

:)

Oct 5, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #127,769 of 155,124
Oct 5, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #127,770 of 155,124
I never heard the Aegirs or any Zu speakers. But I have read enough reviews of each to assume that this must be a match made in heaven. You will be a happy man. Now go find that $2k.
It is. I have a pair of original Zu Omen Dirty Weekends driven by an Aegir and I couldn't be happier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back