Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 17, 2023 at 11:04 PM Post #126,616 of 150,447
Book a room nearby and make it a (well deserved) mini vacation for you and the missus?

My wife reminded me the other day, that I have to take a few days away from the grind and computers...
My wife does not enjoy music and even less the equipment that brings it to us. And now that we have two grandchildren and another due next month she prefers to stay at home with them more and more. After reading your words I asked her and she politely declined.

It would be nice to go and I should have gone there long before problems arose, dammit! :ksc75smile: It would be nice to see some of the folks from here and Miss Denise of Schiit is a wonderful person. I know that CanJam is coming soon and that is closer and perhaps my son will come with me. I made it to T.H.E. by myself this year but it really wore me out and my son is usually working 7 days a week and if that changes and he has no other place he has to be at he will be happy to go with me. We have gone to motorcycle shows in Long Beach before but the Covid thing ruined that for us and many others. It was not the same.

If I can make it to CanJam that will have to do and to be honest, that is a fun event to attend and perhaps Schiit will be there too. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2023 at 11:11 PM Post #126,617 of 150,447
Understood, well said. I wish there was an event in Vancouver, BC...

I have to finally renew my passport.

Ever since Washington State created a tax on parcels sent to mailboxes there I have not been across the border. (December 2019).

Sep 18, 2023 at 1:08 AM Post #126,618 of 150,447
@OldRoadToad

I don't know your wifes hobbies or interests, but you gotta find a way to sell her on a trip for something she likes, and include an "oh by the way...."

After we do this & this, eat here, explore there, we are staying here & on this night I want to head over here for 2-3 hours to meet up with some like minded idiots/schiitiots/compadres and hang out for awhile....The next day we can do this, this, or this....

Sell it bud!

Back when RMAF was a thing I had my wife sold on a trip in fall 2020 to RMAF (F covid). Basically we take a trip to colorado, spend a few days seeing the sights together, I was due to get a day or two at RMAf while she got spa time or giggolo time, whatever it took....

It didnt work out, and RMAF is sadly dead, but the premise was solid....

As an aside.... My wife and I have been talking about a trip to Nashville for awhile.... I would suggest the next Schiitmeet take place in the Nashville area instead of Florida. Nashville is within driving distance for many people and flights are also relatively cheap and accessible.... Plus theres lots of cool stuff to do in the area....

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2023 at 1:27 AM Post #126,619 of 150,447
@OldRoadToad

I don't know your wifes hobbies or interests, but you gotta find a way to sell her on a trip for something she likes, and include an "oh by the way...."

After we do this & this, eat here, explore there, we are staying here & on this night I want to head over here for 2-3 hours to meet up with some like minded idiots/schiitiots/compadres and hang out for awhile....The next day we can do this, this, or this....

Sell it bud!

Back when RMAF was a thing I had my wife sold on a trip in fall 2020 to RMAF (F covid). Basically we take a trip to colorado, spend a few days seeing the sights together, I was due to get a day or two at RMAf while she got spa time or giggolo time or whatever it took....

It didnt work out, and RMAF is sadly dead, but the premise was solid....

As an aside.... My wife and I have been talking about a trip to Nashville for awhile.... I would suggest the next Schiitmeet take place in the Nashville area instead of Florida. Nashville is within driving distance for many people and flights are also relatively cheap and accessible.... Plus theres lots of cool stuff to do in the area....
Ah yes, the ole ASG (Audiophile Spousal Grooming) 🤪

Sep 18, 2023 at 1:39 AM Post #126,621 of 150,447
We do go to Wine Country every year (Okanogan) for tasting and sitting by the water.

Sep 18, 2023 at 5:07 AM Post #126,623 of 150,447
Seeking some assists from the group ...

Arriving in Europe on Tuesday 26th (Amsterdam) for a few days, then to Paris, Milan, Bologna, Naples, Florence and other places in Italy (not Rome on this trip) across the following 4 weeks. Really want to try to visit a few audio shops, and perhaps some music (Vinyl/CD) outlets.

Any thoughts on some places to check out?

Sep 18, 2023 at 5:28 AM Post #126,624 of 150,447
Sep 18, 2023 at 6:15 AM Post #126,625 of 150,447
In Amsterdam, I've not been there myself, but it looks like an interesting place: https://www.headphoneauditions.nl/
Thanks for the pointer, had indeed already found that one ... but they are closed the week I will be there :unamused:

Edit : Maybe that's changed, the website now only says Oct 7th closed.... ooohhh have to check

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2023 at 7:56 AM Post #126,626 of 150,447
I’ve rearranged the little upstairs system, with most of the Schiit now on an audiophile grade stand. £14.99 monitor stand from The Middle of Lidl. Much neater than stacking it all on top of the CD player.
Looks very tidy! Also... are those Iron Maiden cookies in the back?

Sep 18, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #126,627 of 150,447

Attachments

• IMG_1979.jpeg
    IMG_1979.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 0
Sep 18, 2023 at 8:56 AM Post #126,628 of 150,447
We have gone to motorcycle shows in Long Beach before but the Covid thing ruined that for us and many others. It was not the same.

Go easy on the politics and divisiveness please. I knew 3 people that died from Covid and several who are experiencing debilitating long-Covid symptoms. My brother is an emergency room physician. He can set you very straight on that "Covid" nonsense. I'll get off my soap box now.

Edit: The word "Covid" was not used in the post that I replied to. It looks like the original post and my reply were edited from above, so the context of my reply is now not clear.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #126,629 of 150,447
Looks very tidy! Also... are those Iron Maiden cookies in the back?
Thanks. It’s not cookies (biscuits), but the tin Trooper beer came in, which is preferable to biscuits.

Sep 18, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #126,630 of 150,447
What recordings where those?

My "moment" for the MJ3, mentioned in my "review," was in hearing individual members of the audience clapping, very clearly located at specific places on the soundstage, stopping and starting instantly, the way claps sound in real life.

Someone else on the MJ3 thread mentioned how, applause sounds like people making noise, unlike the more normal reproduction of applause that just sounds like a wall of static. Very cool!
A game-changing event, to be sure. Imagine all those other, previously hidden, sounds in the music that will now be revealed!
I remember when I got my rig to the point where I could hear the rhythm guitar. Turns out that John Lennon was actually playing along. My favorite now is being aware of what a great jazz drummer is really doing with the kit. And, then, there's the sound of a symphony orchestra ...

ps. I, too, would be interested in learning about your acoustic music, Amos - thanks. @Currawong

Users who are viewing this thread

Back