Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 11, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #126,227 of 155,140
Yep. My last bandcamp friday purchase was this one. Very pleasant surprise. Not so much for audiophilic reasons, but just beautiful stuff. World affairs being what they are it's nice to get a little time capsule of Ukranian culture:

I'll check that out. This was my last Bandcamp purchase, it's great for fans of CAN and krautrock in general. If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, then these guys nailed the vibe perfectly.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #126,228 of 155,140
E46D29DB-A1C1-4C13-BBB5-1D6B5F6F7455.jpeg

This morning I was surprised to learn that the low temp welding used by a major company failed to catch all the strands when trying to combine two 14 awg sections of speaker wire.😟 Luckily all strands made contact so electrically it is the same. On the other ends the 14 awg by itself better fit this type of connection.🤪 I am about to shorten the cables so I will find out soon enough if a high temp soldering iron will loosen the weld.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #126,229 of 155,140
Folkvangr repair sheet says I used bad tubes, or mismatched tubes and broke it. (Sadly they didn't mention which set was the problem).

Anyone have a suggestion as to buying a tube testing machine? I would greatly appreciate, as would the repair people at Schiit. I see one on ebay , says it takes a long time to set up. Should I just grab this?
Were you tube rolling when the Folkvangr went down? Did you send it back with original tubes or other types you might have used? I need to do a bit of research on the tubes Folkvangr uses but I might offer to check any questionable tubes for you if they or equivalents are listed on my tube tester charts.

I stick with specific tube types and always test the tubes prior to insertion in any amp.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #126,230 of 155,140
I suggest test tones because it proved to me that cables do change the sound that is transmitted, whether it's audible in music is another story.
Gosh did it change in amplitude or frequency? An amplitude change is understandable if using different wire gauges. All other things being equal, a change in frequency should be measurable. I have always preferred to use music made to show off specific musical traits, otherwise no one would show up for the testing. :ksc75smile: :ksc75smile:

Sep 11, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #126,231 of 155,140
Folkvangr repair sheet says I used bad tubes, or mismatched tubes and broke it. (Sadly they didn't mention which set was the problem).

Anyone have a suggestion as to buying a tube testing machine? I would greatly appreciate, as would the repair people at Schiit. I see one on ebay , says it takes a long time to set up. Should I just grab this?
Never forget that all tubes fail eventually. Just like humans. It’s the tragic side of tube audio. Current pricing only pushes the knife in further.

Sep 11, 2023 at 12:46 PM Post #126,232 of 155,140
Never forget that all tubes fail eventually. Just like humans. It’s the tragic side of tube audio. Current pricing only pushes the knife in further.
I recently repaired four solid state devices that failed eventually. :ksc75smile: Tubes are certainly more finite so I stocked up as late as one year ago. Prior to that I purchased large quantities of a tube that kept rising in value, a war increased that value so I suppose I am unintentionally on the handle end of that knife with some of my collection. Had I not bought somewhat early, re-tubing a couple of my amps with what is in there now could be $2,000 up. Four tubes in a Freya + could be $1,400. I came into audio listening to tubes and I shall go out the same way, it is not for everyone.

Sep 11, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #126,233 of 155,140
Hey all,

A quick update:

I'm finally back in CA for a bit after the Raleigh meet, which was a ton of fun. It's much better going to these smaller meets for me, because it's more about meeting people than putting up banners and selling stuff (even though there was at least one offer on the Mjolnir 3), and even though I thought we had a broken Urd because I had it switched on the wrong output, proving my lack of competence with our own products. On the non-show side, Tobacco Wood Brewing really has a handle on the lager/red/marzen styles, if you're in the area, but there's a ton of great beer there.

Now it's on to figuring out some more new stuff. You'll see a couple of new things from us by the end of the month--two new names, in fact. I just approved the final first articles for one today, and I expect to see the other tomorrow. These are Corpus products, despite me being in California. Both are bonkers in terms of value, and one is definitely crazy in "let's take the path of maximum controversy." These'll be fun!

I'll get with Denise and figure out when we're doing the next Schiitrmeet, and what we'll be doing. A blind listening may be in the works, or I may just do an "ask me anything, but not about audio" deal.

All the best,
Jason

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 11, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #126,234 of 155,140
Hey all,

A quick update:

I'm finally back in CA for a bit after the Raleigh meet, which was a ton of fun. It's much better going to these smaller meets for me, because it's more about meeting people than putting up banners and selling stuff (even though there was at least one offer on the Mjolnir 3), and even though I thought we had a broken Urd because I had it switched on the wrong output, proving my lack of competence with our own products. On the non-show side, Tobacco Wood Brewing really has a handle on the lager/red/marzen styles, if you're in the area, but there's a ton of great beer there.

Now it's on to figuring out some more new stuff. You'll see a couple of new things from us by the end of the month--two new names, in fact. I just approved the final first articles for one today, and I expect to see the other tomorrow. These are Corpus products, despite me being in California. Both are bonkers in terms of value, and one is definitely crazy in "let's take the path of maximum controversy." These'll be fun!

I'll get with Denise and figure out when we're doing the next Schiitrmeet, and what we'll be doing. A blind listening may be in the works, or I may just do an "ask me anything, but not about audio" deal.

All the best,
Jason

Sep 11, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #126,235 of 155,140
"Bonkers in terms of value."

Please, do tell!

Sep 11, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #126,237 of 155,140
These may have been answered before- but what determines Corpus vs Cali products? The SchiitTalker couldn't answer me. Are the higher-end products made in California or is it chassis size or something else entirely?
Internal transformer--as in, it has a power cord, not a wall-wart.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 11, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #126,238 of 155,140
These may have been answered before- but what determines Corpus vs Cali products? The SchiitTalker couldn't answer me. Are the higher-end products made in California or is it chassis size or something else entirely?
Wall Wart = Texas
Power Cord = California

Sep 11, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #126,239 of 155,140
Thank you for doing this @adydula !
I'm currently using 2x Gjallarhorns in my home 2-channel (because B-Stock happened) and have really enjoyed the outcome.
- chain: Streamer (coax) --> Yggy OG A2 (xlr) --> Freya N (xlr) --> 2x G'horn --> Elac UB52

Looking forward to reading your impressions of 2x G'horns vs 1x Aegir and then vs 2x Aegir
I've looked at the Aegir as a potential upgrade, but do enjoy the "laziness" of leaving the G'horns powered on and ready to go without having to toggle a standby button
:beerchug:

Super! Its fun to test and play.
Pain in the axx to crawl around and connect and dis-connect cables....ha!
Fedex tells me they will be here tomorrow!
Need a break from working on the old 1976 SX1250....245 parts to replace!
PNP, NPN, substititions...check and re-check...u know what happens when u put a transistor in incorrectly?
Ooops!
And the fun of troubleshooting when Schiit goes wrong!!
Well its a self inflicted excercise here....and ya gotta do something in retirement except drinking RED OAK!

:>)
Alex

Sep 11, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #126,240 of 155,140
I'll get with Denise and figure out when we're doing the next Schiitrmeet, and what we'll be doing.

Corpus!

This response is totally not prejudiced by user's proximity to said location. No punctuation was harmed in the making of this response. If you or someone you know is allergic to very short responses to things posted on the internet, stop using Papyrus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back