Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 10, 2023 at 9:07 PM Post #126,211 of 155,074
Did you test with music, or test tones? It is easier to hear differences with test tones or pink noise, where the overall sound is steady state.
Back then it was listening with music. No test tones. Music is complex. Test tones imo are well test tones..not Music. So listening to test tones imo is well not a great idea for what I was doing.

Tones are great for troubleshooting and peaking up circuits and alignment etc.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2023 at 9:50 PM Post #126,212 of 155,074
For what its worth I finally got to listen to the infamous HE6Se...terribly hard to drive cans at the meet.
83.5 db sensitivity!

Well using then on the MJ3 they worked very well...yup no issues here at all....

edit: for grins I tried the HE6Se in a Vali 2 + with a WE 396a tube!
Ha! They played loud, amazingly so...

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #126,213 of 155,074
For what its worth I finally got to listen to the infamous HE6Se...terribly hard to drive cans at the meet.
83.5 db sensitivity!

Well using then on the MJ3 they worked very well...yup no issues here at all....
Mj3 was really the best amp for HE6se. I've never heard them to punch that good. IMG_8926.jpg

Sep 10, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #126,214 of 155,074
I've done that quite a bit. I've bought a few via Bandcamp, too. In fact, I'll pay more there than it would cost from Amazon since the artist gets a greater share. Also, Bandcamp often makes a digital copy available, in your choice of formats, immediately after purchasing a CD.
And when they do Bandcamp Fridays, the artist gets 100% of the proceeds on that day. Plus, artists often have special releases and whatnot for Bandcamp Friday, too.

Sep 10, 2023 at 11:31 PM Post #126,215 of 155,074
Well, I for one am really disgusted with the NC Schiit meet.

Not with the food you’all had.
Not with the door prizes
Not with the storm that disrupted @ripper’s attempt to invade
Not with the nice photos that were posted
Not with the nice words about Kara..

But all this wild praise of MJ3?? Give me a break!
I already have plenty of headphone amps.
I already have the heat-blaster known as Folkvangr.
I don’t need another one of these crazy ideas from Jason and Mike.
but with all your silly words...
where are the notices on self-control??
(Actually Jason wrote one some yeas back, but don’t remind me.)

It’s all your guys fault that I now have an MJ3 on order!

So please, no more regional Schiit meets extolling their latest great product...
... unless the meet is near Denver.

Noah

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2023 at 11:39 PM Post #126,216 of 155,074
Well, I for one am really disgusted with the NC Schiit meet.

Not with the food you’all had.
Not with the door prizes
Not with the storm that disrupted @ripper’s attempt to invade
Not with the nice photos that were posted
Not with the nice words about Kara..

But all this wild praise of MJ3?? Give me a break!
I already have plenty of headphone amps.
I already have the heat-blaster known as Folkvangr.
I don’t need another one of these crazy ideas from Jason and Mike.
but with all your silly words...
where are the notices on self-control??
(Actually Jason wrote one some yeas back, but don’t remind me.)

It’s all your guys fault that I now have an MJ3 on order!

So please, no more regional Schiit meets extolling their latest great product...
... unless the meet is near Denver.

Noah
It’s extremely hard not to buy Mj3.

Sep 11, 2023 at 1:46 AM Post #126,217 of 155,074
And when they do Bandcamp Fridays, the artist gets 100% of the proceeds on that day. Plus, artists often have special releases and whatnot for Bandcamp Friday, too.
Yep. My last bandcamp friday purchase was this one. Very pleasant surprise. Not so much for audiophilic reasons, but just beautiful stuff. World affairs being what they are it's nice to get a little time capsule of Ukranian culture:

Sep 11, 2023 at 3:46 AM Post #126,218 of 155,074
Folkvangr repair sheet says I used bad tubes, or mismatched tubes and broke it. (Sadly they didn't mention which set was the problem).

Anyone have a suggestion as to buying a tube testing machine? I would greatly appreciate, as would the repair people at Schiit. I see one on ebay , says it takes a long time to set up. Should I just grab this?

Sep 11, 2023 at 4:06 AM Post #126,219 of 155,074
Back then it was listening with music. No test tones. Music is complex. Test tones imo are well test tones..not Music. So listening to test tones imo is well not a grest idea for what I was doing.

Tones are great for troubleshooting and peaking up circuits and alignment etc.
I suggest test tones because it proved to me that cables do change the sound that is transmitted, whether it's audible in music is another story.

Sep 11, 2023 at 6:38 AM Post #126,220 of 155,074
Folkvangr repair sheet says I used bad tubes, or mismatched tubes and broke it. (Sadly they didn't mention which set was the problem).

Anyone have a suggestion as to buying a tube testing machine? I would greatly appreciate, as would the repair people at Schiit. I see one on ebay , says it takes a long time to set up. Should I just grab this?
Unless you are looking for a side hobby, you can find matched tubes for reasonable prices from reputable sellers.

Jason stated the output tubes don't have to be matched, so it could've been the input tubes. Maybe the tube gurus will chime in.

Sep 11, 2023 at 7:33 AM Post #126,221 of 155,074
I suggest test tones because it proved to me that cables do change the sound that is transmitted, whether it's audible in music is another story.
Whatever works for you.
Personally I would use an O'scope and or analyzer to see if there is any differences etc...
Somethings we cant measure.
Makes this an interesting hobby eh?
Alex

Sep 11, 2023 at 7:36 AM Post #126,222 of 155,074
Looks like it was a great gathering. Forum names with photos would be nice...
Yeah it would but I heistated here, let each participant give away his identity if they want...

For me I was adydula ! lol!
Actually I dont think I am in any pix! Well at least now I dont have to worry about scheduling and autograph session!!

Alex
:>)

Sep 11, 2023 at 7:46 AM Post #126,224 of 155,074
Whats better than a single Gjallarhorn?
Answer:

1694432605335.png

I should have two (2) Aegirs here tomorrow and will do the last test of low power to high power back to Class A Aegir "low" power" speaker amps
with the A26's I just built.

I have written up the results so far this is the final piece of my puzzle...then I can decide what I will finally buy to update the amplification for my
2 ch stereo, upstairs over the garage small sized listening room..

Would love to see a higher power Class A Aegir!

Alex

Sep 11, 2023 at 8:07 AM Post #126,225 of 155,074
Whats better than a single Gjallarhorn?
Answer:

1694432605335.png

I should have two (2) Aegirs here tomorrow and will do the last test of low power to high power back to Class A Aegir "low" power" speaker amps
with the A26's I just built.

I have written up the results so far this is the final piece of my puzzle...then I can decide what I will finally buy to update the amplification for my
2 ch stereo, upstairs over the garage small sized listening room..

Would love to see a higher power Class A Aegir!

Alex
Thank you for doing this @adydula !
I'm currently using 2x Gjallarhorns in my home 2-channel (because B-Stock happened) and have really enjoyed the outcome.
- chain: Streamer (coax) --> Yggy OG A2 (xlr) --> Freya N (xlr) --> 2x G'horn --> Elac UB52

Looking forward to reading your impressions of 2x G'horns vs 1x Aegir and then vs 2x Aegir
I've looked at the Aegir as a potential upgrade, but do enjoy the "laziness" of leaving the G'horns powered on and ready to go without having to toggle a standby button
:beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back