Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 8, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #126,031 of 155,195
Contact resistance is important too. Periodically cleaning contacts is a good thing.
It is not a bad thing, try measuring that resistance sometime. :ksc75smile: I would be more concerned about my test probes than I would a gold plated surface.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #126,032 of 155,195
Also, maybe relatively speaking, monster cables ain't that great and coat hangers ain't that bad. IIRC back in the day a good number of people used to run solid cables from their receivers to their speakers and preferred the sound.

I've experimented w solid copper cables to my speakers, though only to the low end drivers when bi-amping, keeping stranded cable in place for the high end. Thought it sounded pretty good that way, but I think I stopped bc it kind of messed with the adcom amp that was driving the low end at the time, causing the distortion light to come on.

Sep 8, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #126,033 of 155,195
Contact resistance is important too. Periodically cleaning contacts is a good thing.

Funny that you mention cleaning contacts. I did that very thing once, with our Sony 1630 processors at Nimbus Records. Cleaned all the edge finger contacts on all the daughter boards. Well, the other engineers were shocked at the difference in sound...! Wanted to know what I did? They didn't believe me when I said "I cleaned the contacts with a pencil eraser and Isopropyl alcohol"...! 🤣

Sep 8, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #126,034 of 155,195
My wife cut her finger while cooking and needed a couple stitches, I was at work and they asked her if she was safe at home.🤪🤪

Our (large corporate) medical provider asks that question at every visit for every person. I am not sure if it is state law or provider policy or what. But it would not surprise me if this is a thing that the medical community as a whole is starting to do more and more since abuse at home is a very real issue.

Sep 8, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #126,035 of 155,195
Also, maybe relatively speaking, monster cables ain't that great and coat hangers ain't that bad. IIRC back in the day a good number of people used to run solid cables from their receivers to their speakers and preferred the sound.

I've experimented w solid copper cables to my speakers, though only to the low end drivers when bi-amping, keeping stranded cable in place for the high end. Thought it sounded pretty good that way, but I think I stopped bc it kind of messed with the adcom amp that was driving the low end at the time, causing the distortion light to come on.
This is a lazy day for me so I will stay out of more cable discussions. :ksc75smile: I am dead in the water on a knife build until some 24 hour epoxy sets. You all have a great day, I need to take advantage of this nice weather. I should be making one more door prize for the NC meet once a winner is selected so I best prepare my shop.

Sep 8, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #126,037 of 155,195
Sep 8, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #126,038 of 155,195
Why don't HVAC installers make use of absorption refrigeration, which actually makes use of external heat? Absorption refrigeration makes use of a two-part refrigerant that requires heat rather than compression (contrasted to one-part refrigerants such as the Opteron® R-12xx series).

Heat pumps require more electricity than desirable in this heat wave affecting the SCHIIT® Texas factory.

Cost. Most accounting is not product whole-life based. Purchase and installing comes from a different budget than maintenance and operation.

In other words the HVAC installers are working down to a price, because they're bidding for your business. Anything fancy costs more.

It's not until that stuff makes it into the building codes that real changes happen.

Sep 8, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #126,039 of 155,195
As usual being the doubting Thomas here, or I guess that ole "Missouri" 'Show Me' thing...I want to hear stuff in my own home with my own ears and stuff.

I do remember taking home (3) sets of 'large diameter" speaker cables from my local hi-fi store and testing with them. Using my wifes critical ears as an arbitrator.
Quality of build was exceptional, commensurate with the price.

Sonic-ally well...YMMV. Wound up building my own cables!

Funny how things go..

I've always found that the first step up makes the biggest difference. Going from lamp cord to a "proper" larger gauge speaker cable nets the biggest difference. After that going from $100 cables to $1000 cables is such an incremental change it's seldom worth the $900.

And reviews touting "night and day" difference, "incredible soundstage", "much better bass" etc. Well, if you hear that much difference it's probable that you had an impedance mismatch before. Subtle, incremental, minor, those are much more believable terms. If a minor improvement is worth it to you, then go for it. I'd rather spend the money on more music.

YMMV as always of course.

Sep 8, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #126,041 of 155,195
As I mentioned, speaker cable differences were easily heard. But, I don't think I've ever heard any significant differences when trying various brands of interconnect. I've always wondered why, as I am normally pretty good at hearing subtle changes in sound??? 🤔
Probably because most interconnects are just variations of a coax cable or twisted pair in a sheild. Sort of like how so many speaker cable comparisons used variations of zip cord.
IMG_3816.jpeg

Cable geometry makes more of a difference on midrange and higher frequencies. I found other variations to be more detailed and spacious and some more dynamic.

Sep 8, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #126,042 of 155,195
Probably because most interconnects are just variations of a coax cable or twisted pair in a sheild. Sort of like how so many speaker cable comparisons used variations of zip cord.
IMG_3816.jpeg

Cable geometry makes more of a difference on midrange and higher frequencies. I found other variations to be more detailed and spacious and some more dynamic.

Cable geometry AND dielectric material. The E and H fields are as important as the current.

JC

Sep 8, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #126,043 of 155,195
My wife cut her finger while cooking and needed a couple stitches, I was at work and they asked her if she was safe at home.🤪🤪
My wife is on blood thinners, which means that she bruises easily and requires a CT scan to check for brain bleeds if she hits her head. She fell a while ago, and I took her to the ER. In treating her, they noticed some black and blue bruises from the fall. They then took photos of those bruises and grilled her about our relations and possible spouse abuse. Fortunately, she defended me and assured them that they should not call the police, which they were about to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back