Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 8, 2023 at 8:21 AM Post #125,986 of 151,020
Respectfully disagree.
I still prefer the older USB legacy USB connectors. Just mechanically better IMO.
That said I used USB C in most of the new stuff...with millions of phones out there they seem to
be pretty solid as far as durability, insertions, with all the folks plugging and unplugging in all their
battery chargers a zillion times etc..

That said, still like the older USB just because of its mechanical properties. Yup old school for me.

One other thing that always made me smile and smirk...is the tiny size of the connector contacts...pretty small.
Buying USB cables for megabuck with larger gauge wiring only to be terminated with tiny, tiny contacts etc..hmmm does it matter ?
Reminds me the day I looked into the back of my 180 lb Mirage M1 speakers which I had water size hose speaker cables
with gold plated lugs silver soldered etc...seeing this internal flimsy solid 16 or 18 ga wire running from the crossovers to the speaker
elements, Heck this small gauge wire was running from the water hose speaker wire connections to the crossover inputs.

I asked myself why am I spending $xxx.xxx on BIG gauge cables when the speaker designer was putting this "puny" crap wire inside.

Not to start a cable war here...just discoveries along the way that makes one think and wonder sometime.
I like solid stuff, well built and likes great build quality.

Enjoy the music!!
While ya can!

Good AM from NC!

Alex

Sep 8, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #125,987 of 151,020
Wow!

One more day until the Central North Carolina Schiit Meet in Pittsboro NC!

One more day!

Hope many of you can attend. Will be nice to meet and socialize with other "weird" Schiit Heads!! LOL!

See ya in the morning !!

Drive safe!

Alex
:>)
Most likely I’ll be there

Sep 8, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #125,988 of 151,020
I still prefer the older USB legacy USB connectors. Just mechanically better IMO.
That said I used USB C in most of the new stuff...with millions of phones out there they seem to
be pretty solid as far as durability, insertions, with all the folks plugging and unplugging in all their
battery chargers a zillion times etc..

That said, still like the older USB just because of its mechanical properties. Yup old school for me.

One other thing that always made me smile and smirk...is the tiny size of the connector contacts...pretty small.
Buying USB cables for megabuck with larger gauge wiring only to be terminated with tiny, tiny contacts etc..hmmm does it matter ?
Reminds me the day I looked into the back of my 180 lb Mirage M1 speakers which I had water size hose speaker cables
with gold plated lugs silver soldered etc...seeing this internal flimsy solid 16 or 18 ga wire running from the crossovers to the speaker
elements, Heck this small gauge wire was running from the water hose speaker wire connections to the crossover inputs.

I asked myself why am I spending $xxx.xxx on BIG gauge cables when the speaker designer was putting this "puny" crap wire inside.

Not to start a cable war here...just discoveries along the way that makes one think and wonder sometime.
I like solid stuff, well built and likes great build quality.

Enjoy the music!!
While ya can!

Good AM from NC!

Alex
I had a pair of "water hose" size MHT 750+ speaker cables. I often thought the same about the thin gauge wiring used in the crossovers and terminals. To be fair, I bought these MRSP $750+ (in the 90s) for $75. They certainly looked impressive.

I agree with avoiding USB C on full size HiFi components. I don't constantly plug and unplug my Yggy, therefore I have no concern about the USB-B port wearing out. I'd rather have the larger contact size of the USB B connection.

Sep 8, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #125,989 of 151,020
I had a pair of "water hose" size MHT 750+ speaker cables. I often thought the same about the thin gauge wiring used in the crossovers and terminals. To be fair, I bought these MRSP $750+ (in the 90s) for $75. They certainly looked impressive.

I agree with avoiding USB C on full size HiFi components. I don't constantly plug and unplug my Yggy, therefore I have no concern about the USB-B port wearing out. I'd rather have the larger contact size of the USB B connection.
As usual being the doubting Thomas here, or I guess that ole "Missouri" 'Show Me' thing...I want to hear stuff in my own home with my own ears and stuff.

I do remember taking home (3) sets of 'large diameter" speaker cables from my local hi-fi store and testing with them. Using my wifes critical ears as an arbitrator.
Quality of build was exceptional, commensurate with the price.

Sonic-ally well...YMMV. Wound up building my own cables!

Funny how things go..

Sep 8, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #125,990 of 151,020
While I agree that the legacy connector is a more durable than usb-c I despise the mini and micro versions of usb so the change is welcome to usb-c.

The usb-c connector and cable standard is also as confusing as HDMI. Since is covers anything from charge only cables to Thunderbolt 4 the industry has done themselves a disservice with the standard with the messaging.
IMG_0140.jpeg

Sep 8, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #125,991 of 151,020
As usual being the doubting Thomas here, or I guess that ole "Missouri" 'Show Me' thing...I want to hear stuff in my own home with my own ears and stuff.

I do remember taking home (3) sets of 'large diameter" speaker cables from my local hi-fi store and testing with them. Using my wifes critical ears as an arbitrator.

Funny how things go..
I ended up with six foot pieces of some 14 awg two conductor cable in a flexible yellow jacket that I use in my shop. It always sounded great no matter what other cable I used for comparison.🤪 On my main system I run Canare 4S11 with locking banana plugs, and I have had access to most any cable made.

I hear some difference between headphone cables, less with speaker cables. I use high quality cable and connectors for interconnects but nothing boutique.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #125,992 of 151,020
Wow!

One more day until the Central North Carolina Schiit Meet in Pittsboro NC!

One more day!

Hope many of you can attend. Will be nice to meet and socialize with other "weird" Schiit Heads!! LOL!

See ya in the morning !!

Drive safe!

Alex
:>)
I hope you have similar weather to what Finnegan and I are experiencing this morning. 65 degrees F here and 70’s later today.🤪
C86E49C7-7646-4A05-8061-6D9FA26D791B.jpeg

Sep 8, 2023 at 9:25 AM Post #125,993 of 151,020
As much as I like USB-C for phones, I don't think it is nearly as durable a connector as USB-B.

I like my Bifrost the way it is.

(Flame On)
Have you ever plugged a real Apple USB-C cable (i.e., not purchased on Amazon) into an Apple device? It's a very solid connection with almost zero play...not sure what they do differently to a supposedly universal spec'd connector.

Sep 8, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #125,994 of 151,020
Have you ever plugged a real Apple USB-C cable (i.e., not purchased on Amazon) into an Apple device? It's a very solid connection with almost zero play...not sure what they do differently to a supposedly universal spec'd connector.

As I do not have an Apple device, I can't say that I have. Evidently your experience shows Apple manufacturing their USB-C connections to tighter tolerances which is good.

Sep 8, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #125,996 of 151,020
I hope you have similar weather to what Finnegan and I are experiencing this morning. 65 degrees F here and 70’s later today.🤪
C86E49C7-7646-4A05-8061-6D9FA26D791B.jpeg
Did he trip and fall over the door sill and now he can't get up?

Sep 8, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #125,997 of 151,020
Is there a Finnegan Day that I don't know about?

(Similar to Ground Hog Day)
Pretty much every day. He comes in and wakes me up if I sleep in, he loves to be outside first thing in the morning rain or shine. Snow will slow him down a bit.

Sep 8, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #125,998 of 151,020
Did he trip and fall over the door sill and now he can't get up?
He tends to roll onto his back and put his paws up to look cute.🤪

Sep 8, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #126,000 of 151,020

Funny how things go..
I can assuredly say that MHT 750+ sounded much better than my buddy's home made cables using solid core braided thermostat wire. To be fair, I think a coat hanger would've sounded better. Harshly bright and thin sound. He did much better in his mark II and mark III cables. The MHT had a brick sized box in the middle of the cable that supposedly aligned the frequencies to the transducer to arrive at the same time. So, they were more than just thick cables. Well worth the $75.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back