Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 2, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #125,582 of 155,069
That is a very cool render!

2. Things are changing on the Yggdrasil side. OG is not super long for this world, because the AD5791 DACs have gone so high in price it's not worth making them anymore (even if we could get them, which so far is iffy). As in, OG might have to go well above $3K in order to continue with AD5791s. So, if you want an OG, don't wait too long. In addition, we'll be doing a short run of "MIB," or "More is Better," using the DAC10011B. This is not the DAC10011A. This is a whole new thing that improves performance at 20kHz by 45 dB. Yes, that's forty-five, not a misprint. It's a different league. A few protos have been circulating and people seem to like them. Look for that late this month or early next month.
Sounds great. Will upgrades be available to YGGY GS owners?

If so, are the cards an option, or does it require Yggy+ update?

I wasn't thinking of changing flavors, but 45 db? If only for bragging rights.

Sep 2, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #125,583 of 155,069
I've always enjoyed this version:

Callie liked your post. 🤣

Callie Computer.jpg

Sep 2, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #125,584 of 155,069
Fair point — I realize off-loading the off-topic stuff would not have suddenly increased the volume of Kara commentary. And I know search is my friend. I'm just offering my impression of checking in every few days over the past couple of weeks and wading through what feels like about a 5-to1 ratio of unrelated to Schiit-related discussion.
Now there's the root cause. You can't just simply check in every few days. You need to live here. :beerchug:

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #125,586 of 155,069
...Every time I see someone talking about Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor I have to think back to a former neighbor of mine who was one of the organists at Saint Stephan's cathedral in Passau, Germany. He once told me that he's absolutely sick and tired of people asking for that piece. He compared it to people (non-ironically) yelling "Freebird!" at rock concerts...

Sorry to hijack your thought but my wife has had the same exercise playlist for several years now.
I frequently walk out of my office and shout "Freebird!!" while she has it playing.
Nobody should have to hear Katrina & The Waves with that kind of frequency. Nobody. (Not a dig at Katrina. "Walking On Sunshine" is a lovely song...)

6:07...

Sep 2, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #125,587 of 155,069
Callie says, "Not Marilyn Manson. I likes." 🤣
She's back at her post now guarding Folkvangr. Word on the street is that @Ripper2860 was sighted in the area, probably out pilfering tubes. :smile:

Callie Amp.jpg

Sep 2, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #125,588 of 155,069
Just noticed your sig... :thumbsup::thumbsup:
"in stereo where available" ? --- used to hate that. In Phoenix, late 80's when stereo TV was emerging, a favorite was Star Trek - The Next Generation. They would have this phrase at the start of every stereo program. Our local TV station was (of course) mono. Annoyed that the show was audio useless on my first generation Pioneer A/V receivers with dolby pro logic and surround sound. No surround... Blah. Years later, after TNG had concluded, the station became stereo.

Thanks for the nostalgic reminder :)

Sep 2, 2023 at 9:04 PM Post #125,589 of 155,069
She's back at her post now guarding Folkvangr. Word on the street is that @Ripper2860 was sighted in the area, probably out pilfering tubes. :smile:

The cat does not look happy! Are you torturing the poor thing with your janky musical choices???FCFC2A33-E6E0-4BA6-91A9-7DD2FB89FE97.jpeg

This is a happy cat waiting for me to play sublime selections.🤣🤣

Sep 2, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #125,590 of 155,069
Sorry to hijack your thought but my wife has had the same exercise playlist for several years now.
I frequently walk out of my office and shout "Freebird!!" while she has it playing.
Nobody should have to hear Katrina & The Waves with that kind of frequency. Nobody. (Not a dig at Katrina. "Walking On Sunshine" is a lovely song...)
she does let you buy lots of Schiit though...

Sep 2, 2023 at 9:16 PM Post #125,591 of 155,069
So, in the interest of variety, may I recommend Oliver Latry's album Midnight at Notre-Dame?
That Prokofiev is great! I'll listen to the rest of that album soon. There is a lot of great organ music out there. I've always enjoyed Christopher Bowers-Broadbent's work on the ECM New Series label, particularly an album with works by Gorecki, Satie, Milhaud, and Bryars. These are definitely somber works but the organ work is nonetheless powerful.

IMG_4860.jpeg

And for more organ fun, follow Anna Lapwood on Instagram. She is the organist at the Royal Albert Hall and does MUCH to expand awareness of this awesome instrument to a new generation. For instance, when major electronic artist Bonobo was setting up in the Hall for his show the next day, some of his crew heard Anna playing late at night and asked her to play Bach's Tocatta; they were stunned. Bonobo decided he just had to get her to perform with him the next day so he wrote music for her to play, and with little actual practice she absolutely brought the house down to close out the show!

Anna Lapwood and Bonobo

Sep 2, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #125,592 of 155,069
Requiem aeternam.

My favorite margarita with sea salt foam.

627E3D05-B26C-42F2-9B91-D03D069FCECA.jpeg
My riff on a Paloma, which I call a Prickly Ginger. Tequila, prickly pear syrup, lime juice and ginger beer. Cheers! RIP Jimmy!

Sep 2, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #125,593 of 155,069
The cat does not look happy! Are you torturing the poor thing with your janky musical choices???
A couple hours of GWAR at 115db will do that to you. And to your cat as well. Would be amazed if she knows the difference between poop and Purina after that.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #125,594 of 155,069
She's good!

Every time I see someone talking about Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor I have to think back to a former neighbor of mine who was one of the organists at Saint Stephan's cathedral in Passau, Germany. He once told me that he's absolutely sick and tired of people asking for that piece. He compared it to people (non-ironically) yelling "Freebird!" at rock concerts.
And I guess I can't really blame him. It's a fantastic piece. And if you are ever lucky enough to hear it played live at a place like St. Stephan's cathedral and have your intestines jumbled up beyond recognition by that mother of all gut-punching baselines, it sure is hard to go back. But the catalog of solo pieces for organ is massive and goes far beyond just Bach's Toccata.

So, in the interest of variety, may I recommend Oliver Latry's album Midnight at Notre-Dame? Many of the pieces on it easily out-Bach Bach. Prokofiev's Toccata, Opus 11, for example, is just as awe-inspiring as Bach's T&F in D minor. That track's final bar alone always leaves me with a lump in my throat. Hearing that bit live might actually kill me, I'm not even kidding. The way it grows in its atonality into that final, wonderfully tonal chord and then immediately just fades out into nothingness is what I imagine being hit by a (literal and figurative) freight train must sound and feel like.

And if you're a sucker for bass, Rachmaninoff's Prélude on the same album will put your system to a test. As a matter of fact, it is the actual track I always use to evaluate a system's ability to render room-filling sub-bass without droning or drowning out all that amazing amount of detail that's going on at the same time higher up on the frequency spectrum. If nothing drones and you can still hear the movements of each and every single valve, and you can still make out the overall shape of Notre-Dame's interior and the rough positioning of the different organ cases in use, you know you've got yourself a monster setup. It's also one of my favorite organ pieces, and it's perfectly rendered by Mister Latry.
I would add: Saint Saens organ symphony, Widor toccata, Poulenc: Concerto for organ, timpani and strings.

Sep 2, 2023 at 9:31 PM Post #125,595 of 155,069
A couple hours of GWAR at 115db will do that to you. And to your cat as well. Would be amazed if she knows the difference between poop and Purina.
I am not sure about Bill’s cat but Finnegan is a male and is sitting there waiting in the sweet spot as my audio system warms up. We are most likely to listen to West Coast jazz tonight.😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back