Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 30, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #125,266 of 150,790
Aug 30, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #125,267 of 150,790
And now for something completely different...

BrewDog also has some AF beers that taste good as well -- 20 Calories and 2.3 Carbs

1693396860468.png
I like the BrewDog beers too! Athletic Brewing makes decent NA beer too. The NA beer market has really been growing lately. I typically order from Proof No More for my NA beer (I don't drink alcohol anymore). They have a good variety of beers, wine and other "spirits".

Aug 30, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #125,268 of 150,790
I like the BrewDog beers too! Athletic Brewing makes decent NA beer too. The NA beer market has really been growing lately. I typically order from Proof No More for my NA beer (I don't drink alcohol anymore). They have a good variety of beers, wine and other "spirits".
I may have to check those out, I am trying to reduce carbs and I try to average no more than two drinks per day containing alcohol. Very little bread, pasta, or beer has allowed me to lose ten lbs in two weeks.

Aug 30, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #125,269 of 150,790
I've often wondered what it would sound like if Tom Waits, Neil Young, and Bob Dylan tried to sing in harmony. Without the aid of the Autotune safety net.
Don't forget, Neil Young did sing in harmony with Crosby Stills and Nash.

Aug 30, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #125,270 of 150,790
I have the mjolnir 3 and I was considering using it as a pre amp and getting two vidar 2 speaker amps and run them in mono mode for the susvara and abyss ab 1266 phi tc. Is this insane or worth a shot?

How do you think the mj3 would compare to other pre amps? Am I better off getting the kara to attempt this?

Anything I should be aware of if I attempt this?

Aug 30, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #125,271 of 150,790
I've tested the built in headphone amp as well and it has plenty of power but I much prefer the sound of the MJ3 or Tyrs to it. It's nice to have but I wouldn't buy it to use as your only headphone amp.

I've barely used the MJ3 but it sounded very similar to the Tyrs overall, just a bit warmer and slower with a smaller stage size. Once I have less gear on loan / demo I'll be spending more time with that amp and adding some more detailed impressions.

Are you using the Tyrs for listening to headphones?

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #125,272 of 150,790
Aug 30, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #125,276 of 150,790
I'm really enjoying the Kara and it's been a nice tool to have with the dacs I've been comparing and being able to cycle through the inputs to do those comparisons. I haven't done comparisons to my Holo Serene or Freya + yet although I'm planning on that soon but I can say that I didn't feel like I made a downgrade when I put the Kara in place of the Serene. It actually sounded a bit punchier and more textured.

My friend got a Kara too and sent me some impressions so I'll include those here since they are more specific then mine:
"Really clear, layered, strong, I think it beats Bliss as preamp and better than built in Meitner volume at least when headphones like tungsten are concerned"
"Being able to run passive is a great way to evaluate just the dac"

I've tested the built in headphone amp as well and it has plenty of power but I much prefer the sound of the MJ3 or Tyrs to it. It's nice to have but I wouldn't buy it to use as your only headphone amp.

I've barely used the MJ3 but it sounded very similar to the Tyrs overall, just a bit warmer and slower with a smaller stage size. Once I have less gear on loan / demo I'll be spending more time with that amp and adding some more detailed impressions.
The mj3 has slower and had a smaller soundstage than tyrs?

How would you compare kara vs mj3 as a pre amp?

I was considering trying mj3 as a pre for two vidar 2s in order to power susvara.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #125,277 of 150,790
Soon I will be running a listening test between a single Vidar vs 2 G-horns with 8 ohm, 88db 2 way Seas "Dynaco" A26s'....
VS a hefty 160 watt RMS amp and a 35 Watt RMS Tube amp...

Will the Vidar have enough power to please my ears and or with a single G-horn or 2 G-horns in monoblock mode be "better"..

Gear is on its way!

:>)
Alex

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #125,278 of 150,790
The mj3 has slower and had a smaller soundstage than tyrs?

How would you compare kara vs mj3 as a pre amp?

I was considering trying mj3 as a pre for two vidar 2s in order to power susvara.

Sheesh, I'd try the MJ3 as an HP amp first....

It powers my HE6se (non v2) with absolute ease.... Low gain, single ended, no feedback.. I hear no distortion, no strain, no collapsed soundstage, everything sounds fantastic.

I got to about 2 o'clock on the knob and I was easily at 95+ average DB. It was super loud, controlled, clean..

The HE6se's are 83.5 db/mw (I looked it up).

Susvaras are 83db/mw

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #125,279 of 150,790
Will check Proof No More out!

Yes...Athletic Brewing makes some good NA beer. I usually go with BrewDog given the high taste and low carb/calorie combo.

That said, I just tried Athletic Brewing Fest Beer and thought it was worth 'spending' the extra calories/carbs (70 / 16) :wink:

1693424464092.png

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #125,280 of 150,790
Yep! But I can take a piss and hit Canada...
Wow, you must have an impressive.....amount of pressure. Yeah, that must be it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back