Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 28, 2023 at 12:02 AM Post #125,071 of 150,879
Well 🤓:

Our Bourbon and Rye carry 4-year age statements and our Wheat whiskey ages for 5 years. We use Kelvin Cooperage barrels from Kentucky [We were one of their first customers.] in 53gal size, Char 3 (medium char). We actually get a lot of hot-cold-hot cycles here so we get a lot of maturation action a relatively short time period -- our proof goes up in the barrel versus the general downward trend in more humid climates like Kentucky. Our Bourbon is a four grain mash bill (corn, rye, wheat, barley), our Wheat Whiskey is wheat, rye, and barley, and our Rye is 100% rye grain. All of these are surprisingly complex with a lot of things going on on the nose and palate.
I didn't realize you guys did gin as well... Hmmmm... Is that something that will be hitting Total Wine shelves?

Also, also... Am I the only one that noticed that Schiit named the Mjolnir 3 gain stage after an anabolic steroid?

Aug 28, 2023 at 12:05 AM Post #125,072 of 150,879
Toroidal chokes, the best ones for tight spaces, are difficult to craft. I've two to make for a matched pair of Utah coaxial two-ways for the Conference Room, OMS Japanese Christian Church of Walnut Creek (CA, USA), which is underserved by the pair of Radio Shack® 40-2054's (better known as the Realistic™ Minimus-77) on site.

Aug 28, 2023 at 12:16 AM Post #125,073 of 150,879
I didn't realize you guys did gin as well... Hmmmm... Is that something that will be hitting Total Wine shelves?

Also, also... Am I the only one that noticed that Schiit named the Mjolnir 3 gain stage after an anabolic steroid?
Yep! Total Wine definitely gets our gin. It's my second favorite thing we make. :)

Total Wine

Aug 28, 2023 at 7:04 AM Post #125,075 of 150,879
Aug 28, 2023 at 7:26 AM Post #125,077 of 150,879
Did we ever get an official number of total units made for the first (and possibly only) run of the Mjolnir 3?

I believe the Folkvangr was limited to only 250 units.
yep because of the tubes ... beautiful design - in all manners!

Aug 28, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #125,078 of 150,879
My bad! It's Oregon Spirit Distillers Single Barrel Bottled-in-Bond Bourbon, bottled at 100 proof. I am Lead Blender at this distillery and we are a farm-to-glass distillery -- all Oregon-sourced grains and all of our whiskies are milled, mashed, fermented, double-distilled, matured, and bottled by us in Bend. Cheers!
ooooo, Ms Jody's elder daughter lives in Salem. Pretty close........

Aug 28, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #125,080 of 150,879
The Kudu is one of the best pieces of outdoor cooking kit I own. Hella versatile, and, with the travel pack, ours has traveled over 4,000 miles, making delicious meals all along the way.

Now if only the burn ban we’re under could get lifted so I could use it at home…
Kudu is the best meat i've ate so far!

Aug 28, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #125,081 of 150,879
I don't know if the author took this into account (or if it makes any difference in regard to what he experienced): First, on a Mac, you have to go into the "Audio MIDI Setup" app and make sure the output format/bit-rate matches the specs of what is being streamed. Second, Apple being Apple, whenever there's an update to the OS, the values selected on the MIDI app go back to defaults, 44,100Hz I believe, and 32-bit

Maybe someone with more knowledge on this than me can chime in?

Aug 28, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #125,082 of 150,879
RTi9’s are 90dB/W so 100W per channel theoretically yields 110dB “twice as loud” as 90dB

A (unique) suggestion to try for better mid & upper range clarity— Bi-amping.

Since you have two Vidars, a Freya, and Bifrost 2/64 source (presumably all connected via xlr balanced interconnects) you can try bi-amping with just an extra pair of speaker cables:
Power down the vidars,
Keep the xlr interconnects in place (bifrost-to-freya, and freya to each Vidar),
Remove both jumpers on the back of each Polk,
Disconnect speaker cables from Vidar,
Connect Vidar “Right half” (as viewed from the front) red/blk output pair to Polk bass (lower??) terminal pair,
Connect Vidar “Left half” red/blk output pair to Polk upper mid/treble terminals using extra speaker cable, but swap red/black connections at “left half" Vidar binding posts, match red & black polarity at all Polk binding posts.
XLR cabling between Freya and each Vidar drives both halves of each amp, "right half" with positive xlr phase, left half with negative (inverted) xlr phase. (as mid/treble amp receives audio via xlr negative phase, one end of that speaker cable needs polarity swapped)

A second recommendation (because recordings / masterings vary a lot): Lokius / Loki Max
Using small adjustments from neutral detents on Lokius / Loki Max will help you dial-in both newer and older recordings to your preferences.
a drawing is so much easier to 'read'

Aug 28, 2023 at 8:52 AM Post #125,083 of 150,879
My daughter has lived in Bend for 7 years now and loves it too. Though she has found it financially less painful there than Frisco where she ended up right after college.

I'm excited to go visit her end of September.
Frisco? The town in Texas?

Aug 28, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #125,084 of 150,879
Aug 28, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #125,085 of 150,879
I don't know if the author took this into account (or if it makes any difference in regard to what he experienced): First, on a Mac, you have to go into the "Audio MIDI Setup" app and make sure the output format/bit-rate matches the specs of what is being streamed. Second, Apple being Apple, whenever there's an update to the OS, the values selected on the MIDI app go back to defaults, 44,100Hz I believe, and 32-bit

Maybe someone with more knowledge on this than me can chime in?
This is true - which is why it is so much easier to use an iPad for bit perfect streaming. The iPad (or iPhone) automatically switches the output to match the format. AirPlay ignores all of this and should be avoided for best quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back