Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 27, 2023 at 4:47 AM Post #124,981 of 150,816
I haven’t tried this with any of my Schiit DACs, but to my ears iFi ZEN Stream via usb into the matching ZEN Dac sounds superior to running iPhone via cck into the same input, using Qobuz and Tidal. I don’t use Apple Music.

Aug 27, 2023 at 5:06 AM Post #124,982 of 150,816
Serious question… if you’re locked into the Apple ecosystem for whatever reason(s), what are the options if AirPlay isn’t what you want to use for reasons of both SQ and functionality?

The phone I use as a streamer has no sim card, it’s just connected to wifi and the only apps on it are streaming apps.

If there’s a dedicated streamer with Apple Music on board, I haven’t found it.
I’m amazed that Apple hasn’t filled that gap with something similar to Apple TV+

Aug 27, 2023 at 7:08 AM Post #124,984 of 150,816
But AirPlay requires your source to be a phone or tablet that is, often, used for other things.

If using AirPlay into a dedicated streamer and my phone rings…
Airplay is "meh".

When I upgraded my old iPhone 12 to an iPhone 14, I kept the 12 and have used it for streaming, a video call camera, a security camera, etc. Regardless if you have a spare phone or not, you can get long lightning cables that you can tuck away while streaming, and pull out when you want to take a call. Or unplug the phone for the call and plug back in when the call is finished. Either of these options take single-digit seconds. Or, if you have a spare Mac or older phone or iPad, plug it in and make it your streamer. I bought an M1 Mac Mini and when the Mac Studio Max came out, I bought that and moved the Mini into a permanent spot in my headphone stack along with a 15" portable display. You can buy Intel-based minis on the cheap these days. Same with older i-devices.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2023 at 7:34 AM Post #124,986 of 150,816
Aug 27, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #124,989 of 150,816
I haven’t tried this with any of my Schiit DACs, but to my ears iFi ZEN Stream via usb into the matching ZEN Dac sounds superior to running iPhone via cck into the same input, using Qobuz and Tidal. I don’t use Apple Music.
I use it into Bifrost 2/64, sounds pretty good.

Aug 27, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #124,991 of 150,816
Been following this, and it looks like some Android OS based streamers are putting Apple Music on board, but still no equivalent to Spotify Connect (remote control), as far as I can tell. The Eversolo is also close to $900, so not in my world budget, especially when a ‘retired’ iPhone offers the same functionality.

I currently have an iPhone 8 in the main system and a 6 in my home office system. They just work, except for the inability to control them remotely.
I use an Apple Watch to control my IPhone when using it as you describe. Only basic functions but still.

Aug 27, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #124,992 of 150,816
I use it into Bifrost 2/64, sounds pretty good.
I’ve tried that too, and it does sound pretty good, it’s just more practical for me to have the two ZEN pieces together, as they are in a totally different room. I’ve got Node 2i through the BF2, and it sounds great. I think I preferred the ZEN, but the Bluesound is so much easier to use for the whole family.

Aug 27, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #124,994 of 150,816
I’ve tried that too, and it does sound pretty good, it’s just more practical for me to have the two ZEN pieces together, as they are in a totally different room. I’ve got Node 2i through the BF2, and it sounds great. I think I preferred the ZEN, but the Bluesound is so much easier to use for the whole family.
Have you tried it via USB from the Node? Actually think that is better than the Zen Stream.

Aug 27, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #124,995 of 150,816
Have you tried it via USB from the Node? Actually think that is better than the Zen Stream.
My Node doesn’t have USB out. It’s not the latest version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back