Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 26, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #124,966 of 155,207
I might be wrong on this, but the Eversolo DMP A6 that has been getting a lot of attention lately seems to allow you to install Apple Music into it. I’m not sure whether there is bit perfect playback, but my impression is that it streams the music the way Apple Music would installed on a Mac. If you have a local hard drive with music files, it can stream those. If you want to stream from Apple‘s streaming service, you can do that too. (My assumption is that it is NOT using airplay in this case although you can use airplay if you like.). Disclaimer: I often have no idea what I’m talking about.

Been following this, and it looks like some Android OS based streamers are putting Apple Music on board, but still no equivalent to Spotify Connect (remote control), as far as I can tell. The Eversolo is also close to $900, so not in my world budget, especially when a ‘retired’ iPhone offers the same functionality.

I currently have an iPhone 8 in the main system and a 6 in my home office system. They just work, except for the inability to control them remotely.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2023 at 11:39 PM Post #124,968 of 155,207
I have been using (and still do) a spare Samsung Android phone as my source. I turn off Wifi, Bluetooth, NFC, Navigation, etc basically anything that can cause RFI/noise and put phone in Airplane mode with no sim card. Installed USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP) on the phone. Ripped my CDs to 44.1 khz WAV files on to large micro SD card into the phone. Upsample those wav files to 352.8 khz with UAPP player to my DAC via USB to go and have really good results. Good (cost effective too) alternative to using a PC. Maybe one day, I'll buy a nicer digital player/streamer. But for now, it does the job.
UAPP is really good. Worth the few bucks many times over. Now I'm tempted to dig up one of my older android phones and copy your approach...🤔

Aug 27, 2023 at 12:07 AM Post #124,969 of 155,207
I use an iPhone and an iPad but run windows for my work and personal pcs and a dedicated linux server and players for music so I am not sure I can answer those questions. But I do know Auralic systems are Apple Airplay friendly.

Aug 27, 2023 at 12:21 AM Post #124,970 of 155,207
UAPP is really good. Worth the few bucks many times over. Now I'm tempted to dig up one of my older android phones and copy your approach...🤔
Keep in mind the older the phone (with older cpu chipset/and less ram) may affect the sound and performance. I tried using my Samsung S4 (~10 years old) and that old phone struggled to upsample my wav files to higher resolution rates, skips during playback.

Another tidbit I found at least to my ears, phones from the same vintage like Samsung S7edge vs LG V20, sound a little different.The Samsung sounds a bit warmer while the LG sounds on the cooler side. My not so old Samsung S10 Plus sounds somewhere in the middle.

Aug 27, 2023 at 12:22 AM Post #124,971 of 155,207
I use an iPhone and an iPad but run windows for my work and personal pcs and a dedicated linux server and players for music so I am not sure I can answer those questions. But I do know Auralic systems are Apple Airplay friendly.

But AirPlay is a sub standard protocol.

If I were running Spotify, I could use a Node or Wiim or whatever and Spotify lives on the streamer, and my phone or tablet becomes a remote through Spotify Connect. I’ve never used Roon, but I gather it’s similar. AirPlay requires a phone or tablet to be the primary source, unless you’re running a Mac OS device as a server, which I could do, but isn’t really functional for my family use or life.

Goes back to the discussion from earlier this week, if there was a software upgradable, small form factor device, controllable from remote iOS devices, running AppleMusic in the same way something like the wiim runs Spotify, with USB or Coax out into a DAC, that just works, I’d be lining up to buy it, and I don’t think I’m the only one.

Basically what I want is an iPod Touch, with digital out, that is controllable from other iOS devices.

In the meantime, I get up to pick new music (and also to change volume, because my amp doesn’t have a remote either!)

Aug 27, 2023 at 12:25 AM Post #124,972 of 155,207
Keep in mind the older the phone (with older cpu chipset/and less ram) may affect the sound and performance. I tried using my Samsung S4 (~10 years old) and that old phone struggled to upsample my wav files to higher resolution rates, skips during playback.

Another tidbit I found at least to my ears, phones from the same vintage like Samsung S7edge vs LG V20, sound a little different.The Samsung sounds a bit warmer while the LG sounds on the cooler side. My not so old Samsung S10 Plus sounds somewhere in the middle.
Good Point. Think I have an LG G8 around here somewhere. Curious how well the quad DAC w built in phones jack holds up compared to a nice dongle DAC.

Aug 27, 2023 at 12:37 AM Post #124,973 of 155,207
In other worlds, this is one of the better modern jazz records I’ve heard for those who are fans of classic jazz…

Tenor sax, drums and bass, with some really expressive sax playing from Max Ionata
Nice! It's on Qobuz too, which -- for whatever reason -- generally sounds less processed and more analog in my system than does Apple Music.

https://open.qobuz.com/album/qr5cfqk8t9rzb

This is worthy listening as well. Very nicely recorded and rendered.

fgz20q1qo2mgb_600.jpg

https://open.qobuz.com/album/fgz20q1qo2mgb

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #124,974 of 155,207
Here is an iOS streaming solution.

Older iPhone running streaming apps with a ‘Camera phone adapter’ with a charging ‘lightning’ port.

1 - Connect the camera adapter charging port to a charger.

2 - Connect the camera adapter to the iPhone.

3 - Connect the camera adapter USB-A to a DAC or URD.

Pros: This runs in an Apple device all streaming apps at the highest bit rates and maintains the iPhone charged.

Cons: connected device without remote control.

Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter with Charging Port, USB 3.0 OTG Cable for iPhone/iPad - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09YQF43Q9?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

IMG_8757.jpeg
Exactly as mine.

Aug 27, 2023 at 1:12 AM Post #124,975 of 155,207
But AirPlay is a sub standard protocol.

If I were running Spotify, I could use a Node or Wiim or whatever and Spotify lives on the streamer, and my phone or tablet becomes a remote through Spotify Connect. I’ve never used Roon, but I gather it’s similar. AirPlay requires a phone or tablet to be the primary source, unless you’re running a Mac OS device as a server, which I could do, but isn’t really functional for my family use or life.

Goes back to the discussion from earlier this week, if there was a software upgradable, small form factor device, controllable from remote iOS devices, running AppleMusic in the same way something like the wiim runs Spotify, with USB or Coax out into a DAC, that just works, I’d be lining up to buy it, and I don’t think I’m the only one.

Basically what I want is an iPod Touch, with digital out, that is controllable from other iOS devices.

In the meantime, I get up to pick new music (and also to change volume, because my amp doesn’t have a remote either!)
An iPhone 6 streams 192kHz 24 bit without a hiccup.

Aug 27, 2023 at 1:55 AM Post #124,976 of 155,207
Last edited:
Aug 27, 2023 at 2:36 AM Post #124,977 of 155,207
Brilliant Pebbles are good, there's no doubt, but these cables will "bestow the feeling of luxury and exclusivity in the hands of its beholder. Featuring beautifully alternating spirals of rose gold and bright, light gold patterns, the cables will work as a classy conversation starter or head turner. These patterns further allow for the beauty of the pure and majestic silver to shine forth. But these materials do not just exude exotic elegance. Our insistence in the inclusion of rare and precious metals such as the Gold was primarily set for the purpose of ensuring specific sonic targets that, to us, conveys the feeling of luxury and exclusivity, providing you with the most luxurious of leisures as you experience the exotic release of smooth natural timbres."

"These cables elevate the divine form to a whole new level. A result of hours of research, these cables further boast a unique ergonomic advantage over our previous cables. This level of flexibility and comfort will have you wrapped around its fingers while listening to your favorite anthems."

speaker-cables01.jpg

cables01.jpg

:scream::scream_cat::astonished::fearful::flushed::open_mouth::no_mouth::poop:

Aug 27, 2023 at 3:23 AM Post #124,979 of 155,207
Nice set up, Mike!

Is that a Linn arm on your SL-1210?
Thanks! It’s a Linn Akito, that I fitted a few years ago. I prefer the sound over the standard arm.

Aug 27, 2023 at 3:43 AM Post #124,980 of 155,207
It's an annoyingly shortsighted solution on Apple's part because I don't want to hear every single other sound my phone makes through my hifi! 😤
But AirPlay requires your source to be a phone or tablet that is, often, used for other things.
If using AirPlay into a dedicated streamer and my phone rings…
I'm confused by these comments. If I send Qobuz to AirPlay, I only hear Qobuz output at the receiver. How are you sending all phone audio to AirPlay? Are you thinking of Bluetooth?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back