Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 25, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #124,741 of 154,467
Brilliant Pebbles, of course. How can any serious audiophile not have a room full of these things?
http://machinadynamica.com/machina31.htm
(if you're only LOL at this point, read the "white paper" and you'll be ROTFLYAO. http://machinadynamica.com/machina17.htm ) 🤣
Maybe it's just me, but I've always read this site as a deliberate parody of the more dubious sorts of tweaks, and I have a lot of difficulty taking it at face value. Perhaps that's "Poe's law" in action.

Aug 25, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #124,742 of 154,467
Maybe it's just me, but I've always read this site as a deliberate parody of the more dubious sorts of tweaks, and I have a lot of difficulty taking it at face value. Perhaps that's "Poe's law" in action.

I knew one guy who bought these. He had monoblock tube amps and swore that placing one bag of pebbles on each power transformer did something positive for the sound.

To test his theory, I removed and replaced the pebbles while he listened (he couldn't see what I was doing). He was convinced that he could tell whenever the pebbles were in position on top of the transformers. He couldn't.

JC

Aug 25, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #124,743 of 154,467
I would like to know how Mjolnir 3 perform with power demanding pieces like HE6se V2 or Susvara. Any owner here with these?
How does Mjolnir 3 differs from Jot 2 or Lyr 3 soundwise? I was waiting for Mjolnir 3 and now it is only 110V. Meh...
I'm currently running the Mjolnir 2 and driving a pair of Dan Clark Ether 2's (22 ohm). Listening to Loreena McKennitt's 'The Mummers' Dance'. The opening to that song has come pretty heavy deep bass and no problem when even when pushed louder than I would ever listen.

Aug 25, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #124,744 of 154,467
I believe the concept is all the good stuff rolled into one
Great, succinct encapsulation.

adias said:
Being a fairly newcomer to this thread... what's the origin/meaming of MF's 'burrito filter' designation with its mega/combo variations.

https://www.schiit.com/products/yggdrasil

Unique True Multibitâ„¢ Performance
All Yggdrasil+ versions use our True Multibit architecture, a unique combination of our proprietary time- and frequency-domain optimized digital filter and integrated, medical/defense grade multibit D/A converters. Yggdrasil’s DSP-based digital filter has a closed-form solution—it retains the original samples, performing a true interpolation. Only this digital filter gives you the best of both NOS and upsampling designs.

Specs
Digital Filter:
proprietary Schiit time- and frequency-domain optimized digital filter implemented on Analog Devices SHARC DSP processor

FAQ
What’s this bullschiit about a unique time- and frequency-domain optimized digital filter, and why does it matter?

Most digital filters destroy the original samples in the process of upsampling. They’re just like sample rate converters or delta-sigma DACs. We’re all about the original samples, so we created a unique digital filter that performs a true interpolation, which means it retains all the original samples. This is a major difference between Schiit True Multibit DACs like Yggdrasil and every other DAC in the world.

I don't believe you!
Then ask Mike Moffat, the father of audiophile digital playback, about his 5-year quest to perfect this digital filter, involving 1917 Western Electric papers on pulse-code modulation, a professor emeritus of mathematics who devised a way to get around the divide-by-zero problem, a RAND corp mathematician to implement it, and a master programmer to get it to run on our SHARC processor engine. In his words:

"The below are the claims of the digital filter/interpolator/sample rate converter in Yggy:

1. The filter is absolutely proprietary.
  2. The development tools and coefficient calculator to derive the above filters are also proprietary.
  3. The math involved in developing the filter and calculating has a closed form solution. It is not an approximation, as all other filters I have studied (most, if not all of them). Therefore, all of the original samples are output. This could be referred to fairly as bit perfect; what comes in goes out.
  4. Oversimplified, however essentially correct: The filter is also time domain optimized which means the phase info in the original samples are averaged in the time domain with the filter generated interpolated samples to for corrected minimum phase shift as a function of frequency from DC to the percentage of nyquist - in our case .968. Time domain is well defined at DC - the playback device behaves as a window fan at DC - it either blows (in phase) or sucks (out). It is our time domain optimization that gives the uncanny sonic hologram. (It also allows the filter to disappear. Has to be heard to understand.) Since lower frequency wavelengths are measured in tens of feet, placement in image gets increasingly wrong as a function of decreasing frequency in non time domain optimized recordings - these keep the listener's ability to hear the venue - not to mention the sum of all of the phase errors in the microphones, mixing boards, eq, etc on the record side. An absolute phase switch is of little to no value in a non time domain optimized, stochastic time domain replay system. It makes a huge difference with an Yggy.
  5. This is combined with a frequency domain optimization which does not otherwise affect the phase optimization. The 0.968 of Nyquist also gives us a small advantage that none of the off-the shelf FIR filters (0.907) provide: frequency response out to 21.344KHz, 42.688KHz, 85.3776KHz, and 170.5772KHz bandwidth for native 1,2,4, and 8x 44.1KHz SR multiple recordings - the 48KHz table is 23.232, 46.464, 92.868, and 185.856KHz respectively for 1,2,4, and 8x. This was the portion of the filter that had the divide by zero problem which John Lediaev worked out, to combine with #4 above AND retain the original samples.

This is what other DACs typically offer: frequency domain optimization FIR filters with Parks-McClellan optimization. Any avoidance of the Parks-McClellan pablum requires a lot of original DSP work. Am I a prophet who received the tablets from God or some other high-end audio drivel. Hell, no. I was the producer and director of this project and worked with Dave Kerstetter (hardware-software), John Lediaev (Math), Tom Lippiat (DSP Code), Warren Goldman (Coefficient Generator and development tools) for a total of 15 or so man years. These folks either taught math at The University of Iowa, Computer Science at Carnegie-Mellon University, worked at think tanks like the Rand Corporation – you get the idea. We did this for no money - What we all had in common was that we loved audio. All other audio pros were interested in Parks-McClellan and pointed and laughed at us. That's the way it happened. It was worth it, every hour, day, and year."

Aug 25, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #124,746 of 154,467
Aug 25, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #124,747 of 154,467
...Mike has long referred to our unique digital filter, based on our own proprietary algorithm and topology as the "megacomboburrito" filter, as it is optimized in both the time and frequency domains. There's probably a lot more info on it in his thread, search for posts from baldr.
Hmmm...Have you given any thought to turning Mike loose on a surface mount MicroVU Meter with a digital light pipe to magnify and project it onto a ceiling. With, of course, the off/on switch on the back of the device for a DSR®! The Double SchiitReacharound®.

Probably knot, huh? :beerchug:

Aug 25, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #124,748 of 154,467
Great, succinct encapsulation.

https://www.schiit.com/products/yggdrasil

Unique True Multibitâ„¢ Performance
All Yggdrasil+ versions use our True Multibit architecture, a unique combination of our proprietary time- and frequency-domain optimized digital filter and integrated, medical/defense grade multibit D/A converters. Yggdrasil’s DSP-based digital filter has a closed-form solution—it retains the original samples, performing a true interpolation. Only this digital filter gives you the best of both NOS and upsampling designs.

Specs
Digital Filter:
proprietary Schiit time- and frequency-domain optimized digital filter implemented on Analog Devices SHARC DSP processor

FAQ
What’s this bullschiit about a unique time- and frequency-domain optimized digital filter, and why does it matter?

Most digital filters destroy the original samples in the process of upsampling. They’re just like sample rate converters or delta-sigma DACs. We’re all about the original samples, so we created a unique digital filter that performs a true interpolation, which means it retains all the original samples. This is a major difference between Schiit True Multibit DACs like Yggdrasil and every other DAC in the world.

I don't believe you!
Then ask Mike Moffat, the father of audiophile digital playback, about his 5-year quest to perfect this digital filter, involving 1917 Western Electric papers on pulse-code modulation, a professor emeritus of mathematics who devised a way to get around the divide-by-zero problem, a RAND corp mathematician to implement it, and a master programmer to get it to run on our SHARC processor engine. In his words:

"The below are the claims of the digital filter/interpolator/sample rate converter in Yggy:

1. The filter is absolutely proprietary.
  2. The development tools and coefficient calculator to derive the above filters are also proprietary.
  3. The math involved in developing the filter and calculating has a closed form solution. It is not an approximation, as all other filters I have studied (most, if not all of them). Therefore, all of the original samples are output. This could be referred to fairly as bit perfect; what comes in goes out.
  4. Oversimplified, however essentially correct: The filter is also time domain optimized which means the phase info in the original samples are averaged in the time domain with the filter generated interpolated samples to for corrected minimum phase shift as a function of frequency from DC to the percentage of nyquist - in our case .968. Time domain is well defined at DC - the playback device behaves as a window fan at DC - it either blows (in phase) or sucks (out). It is our time domain optimization that gives the uncanny sonic hologram. (It also allows the filter to disappear. Has to be heard to understand.) Since lower frequency wavelengths are measured in tens of feet, placement in image gets increasingly wrong as a function of decreasing frequency in non time domain optimized recordings - these keep the listener's ability to hear the venue - not to mention the sum of all of the phase errors in the microphones, mixing boards, eq, etc on the record side. An absolute phase switch is of little to no value in a non time domain optimized, stochastic time domain replay system. It makes a huge difference with an Yggy.
  5. This is combined with a frequency domain optimization which does not otherwise affect the phase optimization. The 0.968 of Nyquist also gives us a small advantage that none of the off-the shelf FIR filters (0.907) provide: frequency response out to 21.344KHz, 42.688KHz, 85.3776KHz, and 170.5772KHz bandwidth for native 1,2,4, and 8x 44.1KHz SR multiple recordings - the 48KHz table is 23.232, 46.464, 92.868, and 185.856KHz respectively for 1,2,4, and 8x. This was the portion of the filter that had the divide by zero problem which John Lediaev worked out, to combine with #4 above AND retain the original samples.

This is what other DACs typically offer: frequency domain optimization FIR filters with Parks-McClellan optimization. Any avoidance of the Parks-McClellan pablum requires a lot of original DSP work. Am I a prophet who received the tablets from God or some other high-end audio drivel. Hell, no. I was the producer and director of this project and worked with Dave Kerstetter (hardware-software), John Lediaev (Math), Tom Lippiat (DSP Code), Warren Goldman (Coefficient Generator and development tools) for a total of 15 or so man years. These folks either taught math at The University of Iowa, Computer Science at Carnegie-Mellon University, worked at think tanks like the Rand Corporation – you get the idea. We did this for no money - What we all had in common was that we loved audio. All other audio pros were interested in Parks-McClellan and pointed and laughed at us. That's the way it happened. It was worth it, every hour, day, and year."
Thanks for that. But actually my question was about the name ‘burrito’ used.

Aug 25, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #124,749 of 154,467
Being a fairly newcomer to this thread... what's the origin/meaming of MF's 'burrito filter' designation with its mega/combo variations.

A few thousand pages ago:

Ahhhccctuallllyyy...there is technically both a MegaComboBurrito filter and a ComboBurrito filter.

The "Mega" was what Mike came up with for the very long, 8X filter used in Yggdrasil and Gungnir, to differentiate it from a shorter implementation in less capable DSPs in past products from his previous companies, and then the "plain-ol Combo" he used for the shorter 4X filter in Bifrost and Modi Multibit.

All in all, yeah, messy and confusing, and I'll be talking to Mike about what to call it going forward (one name, thanks, we're not going to do "regular, mega, and lite" versions, oh hell no, sorry, life is too friggin short). Mike probably has ideas of his own, some of which may be much better than mine.

Aug 25, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #124,752 of 154,467
Ragnarok 2 Fully Loaded compatible streamer?

I’m looking to use the internal Schiit DAC. The streamers I’d like to use (either Wiim or Bluesound Node) only have Toslink outputs. Is there a way to use those devices as only a streamer into the USB input Schiit DAC?

Aug 25, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #124,753 of 154,467
I’m looking to use the internal Schiit DAC. The streamers I’d like to use (either Wiim or Bluesound Node) only have Toslink outputs. Is there a way to use those devices as only a streamer into the USB input Schiit DAC?
The current Node models have Toslink, coaxial SPDIF, and USB output.

Aug 25, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #124,754 of 154,467
Thanks for that. But actually my question was about the name ‘burrito’ used.
According to Mike Moffat, "Jason began referring to it [the filter mathematics] as the megaburrito as that was far simpler and less stilted than "time and frequency domain optimized preserving all original samples" - it ended up sticking."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back