Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 24, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #124,636 of 151,001
I have two questions ...

1. Kara, at the description, it mentioned about tube power .... but it is not sound like tube, right?

2. Freya N, compare with Valhalla 2, is Freya N hotter? cooler? or roughly the same?
Freya N is definitely hotter than a Valhalla 2, in fact it's the hottest Piece of Schiit I own. Word is that FV, MJ3, and the EQ stuff is hotter still, but I don't own any of those.

Aug 24, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #124,637 of 151,001
Hey all, I'm pulling out and dusting off my old account here from the days when I was researching, then purchasing, my ZMF Vibro MkII 'phones (itself one of the most pleasurable buying experiences I've ever had thanks to Zach's amazing friendliness and enthusiasm).

I did this for other reasons but I wanted to chime in a bit on the recent streamer talk from the last handful of pages, specifically as it relates to WiiM's form factor versus some of the other brands like Bluesound and whatnot - some fascinating conversations here from you all! I ended up purchasing a Cambridge Audio MXN10 because I wanted an actual Hi-Fi component rather than a Plastic-Fi desktop device. I also had no desire to DIY a Pi-type device, I simply wanted a well engineered plug-n-play solution and the MXN10 fits the bill very nicely.

My primary use case is for Qobuz playback with occasional Apple Music use. Cambridge's StreamMagic app solves some of the issues I had with Chromecast but still has a few niggles of its own; generally, it is just fine, though, and receives a steady stream of updates.

New companies like WiiM and EverSolo don't interest me because who knows if they'll even survive their own warranty period? I know Cambridge is solid. So, the MXN10 costs just double what the new WiiM Pro+ does but I feel like I got at least 4x the engineering and component quality with my purchase, so there's that, too. Oh, and nary a microphone either. [That we know of... 🤫]

[Edited for paragraph clarity]

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #124,638 of 151,001
Double posting right now because the real reason I'm unearthing my account here is because I'm starting to plan out a big upgrade to my system, moving on from the AudioEngine A5+ I've been using for about 9 years. I've somewhat mostly landed on Zu DW6 speakers and am looking at what to drive them with.

I've ready many enthusiastic reviews and comments about the Rag 2 and also the Freya+ / Aegir combo. Rag is a one-box solution with plenty of power and joyous headphone output (not often used but still nice) but counters with more limited upgradability beyond the phono pre and dac card slots. The Freya/Aegir offers more modular upgradability, plus the ability to play with tubes (probably fun, eh!?), but offers no headphone output.

Well now the Kara has released and I'm faced with a new option. So, in an overall synergistic sense, which of these three routes (Rag2, Freya+/Aegir, or Kara/Aegir) does the collective wisdom here think will marry the best with the DW6? I listen at about 80-90db as a reference in a medium sized room, and to a gob of different genres. If a system has god-tier midrange that does glorious acoustic guitar and cello, cool, but if it doesn't do good bass that's a bummer. I'm looking for best full-range synergy, I guess.

Stoked to hear the thoughts of those who have run Zus with Schiit! 😀

[Edited for paragraph clarity]

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #124,640 of 151,001
IMG_5588.JPG

First impressions: this thing fricken rocks. Thank you Jason!

Excuse the mess during testing phase (which has concluded, and the MJ3 is staying). New rack shelf coming in from Amazon later today and will have everything nice and tidy. Favorite headphone amp I've gotten my hands on yet. Will be posting my full impressions in the Mjolnir 3 Impressions thread later tonight.

Aug 24, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #124,642 of 151,001
There shouldn't be FOMO with respect to MJ3 (or anything we do).

Here's the reality: there's always something else coming. Hopefully something better. We shoot for better every time. When we don't hit it, we tell you (like the Yggdrasil flavors). As far as I know, nobody else does this. But I don't know everything.

We try not to promote FOMO or nervosa in anything we do. That's why we don't do 5 different grades of cables, 80 different filters/reclockers, 3 types of isolation feet, super quantum fuses, optional add-on power supplies, Schumann resonance tuning applications, green pens, hologram stickers, cryogenically treated clocks, grounding clips for your clothing, cable elevators, extension flaps for your ears made out of goat leather, or any number of the crazy things I've seen in the course of my time in audio. I understand if you don't agree with this, and would rather tweak until the end of time and space. But it's not what we do.

So, if you miss MJ3, don't despair. We'll do something else. Eventually.

Until then, I hope you can sit back, relax, and enjoy the music.
Been doing this for a long long time....before Jason was born....yup that old.
Used to chase and want all the new stuff ASAP.

Not anymore...spend more time relaxing and enjoying the music.
Even though new stuff is often technical "different" its not always better in the end listening experience...more so with ones ego and ones wallet!

Do I desire to use the new stuff, for sure, is it necessary? No.

The state of audio stuff IMO is pretty decent over a wide variety of products from a lot of vendors.

What I like about Schiit they always seem to come up with things that are technically interesting, some simple, some complex. but stuff that just
makes u smile and enjoy the music..

Having just bought a close out Freya N, and seeing Kara come out for a similar price do I feel FOMO...absolutely not.
Just because a new thing comes out doesn't negate the older things brilliance...

Its akin to a photographers, put down the camera and just enjoy the sunset...

A great time to be in this crazy hobby!

Alex

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #124,644 of 151,001
URD feed:

1983 Soundstream/JVC recording.

IMG_8749.jpeg

Every generation has "their" rendition of Bach's Unaccompanied Cello Suites, and this is mine. First in (grandpa's gen) was Pablo Casals. Next up (dad's gen) was Janos Starker. Yo-Yo Ma's sprightly and nuanced approach was mine. Love, love, love this recording. I have that exact CD. No Urd ($$$ 😣😣) but it's sounded great on every CD player I've owned.

Aug 24, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #124,645 of 151,001
Every generation has "their" rendition of Bach's Unaccompanied Cello Suites, and this is mine. First in (grandpa's gen) was Pablo Casals. Next up (dad's gen) was Janos Starker. Yo-Yo Ma's sprightly and nuanced approach was mine. Love, love, love this recording. I have that exact CD. No Urd ($$$ 😣😣) but it's sounded great on every CD player I've owned.
I've always been partial to Rostropovich's CD on the EMI label. Probably not everyone's cup of tea as the acoustics are rather exaggerated having been recorded in a church, but I just love it. His Prelude of the 6th is just about the greatest piece of music I've heard performed.

Aug 24, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #124,646 of 151,001
I think

I think comparing Mike's moonshot DAC- which was, as he said, the best DAC he knew how to make- with the MMB2 which is an excellent DAC at that price point is like having a welterweight fight a heavyweight. The fight will not last long.

I saw that happen IRL once. One punch and it was over. You expect speed from a welterweight, but the heavyweight's punch was just a blur. I didn't really see it, and then the little guy was out cold.

Aug 24, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #124,647 of 151,001

Even though new stuff is often technical "different" its not always better in the end listening experience...more so with ones ego and ones wallet!

The state of audio stuff IMO is pretty decent over a wide variety of products from a lot of vendors.

What I like about Schiit they always seem to come up with things that are technically interesting, some simple, some complex. but stuff that just

Having just bought a close out Freya N, and seeing Kara come out for a similar price do I feel FOMO...absolutely not.
Just because a new thing comes out doesn't negate the older things brilliance...

Alex
Agreed. I have decided that I will no longer upgrade components in my systems unless they have an issue that needs fixing. I am tempted by lots of gear but because I am happy with the way they are I have been resisting the urge. I decided that the only way I can get a new piece of equipment is by selling something else. So far so good.

Aug 24, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #124,649 of 151,001
We try not to promote FOMO or nervosa in anything we do. That's why we don't do 5 different grades of cables, 80 different filters/reclockers, 3 types of isolation feet, super quantum fuses, optional add-on power supplies, Schumann resonance tuning applications, green pens, hologram stickers, cryogenically treated clocks, grounding clips for your clothing, cable elevators, extension flaps for your ears made out of goat leather, or any number of the crazy things I've seen in the course of my time in audio. I understand if you don't agree with this, and would rather tweak until the end of time and space. But it's not what we do.

That's a pretty good list of audiophile woo-woo from over the decades. What do you think he's left out?

Aug 24, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #124,650 of 151,001

Alex
Because you brought up photography, it reminded me that the old saying "the best camera is the one you have with you" is also true for audio. Say what you will, but the latest generation of Apple's AirPods Pro are seriously impressive (a huge leap even over the last generation Pro, in my opinion). If I'm in my home office, of course I'm going to the Schiit stack, but when out n' about the AirPods deliver. Plus, they're so easy to use, lightweight, etc., that I sometimes find myself able to relax and enjoy the music more than with headphones. If Apple could only figure out the non-replaceable battery / e-waste issue...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back