Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 23, 2023 at 11:38 PM Post #124,606 of 153,407
Wood is where it is at if you want the best flavor. I grill and BBQ over wood exclusively. Woodfire pizza and smashed grilled potatoes dang near require wood to reach thier full potential.

Agreed as the different charcoals all impart there own flavor and heat characteristics. The generic brands typically burn less hot and the charred wood charcoal burns much hotter with the Kingsford variant in between in terms of heat. Indirect and a smoke tube with real wood pellets is where I usually end up.

Aug 24, 2023 at 12:48 AM Post #124,607 of 153,407
Note: this was posted on the MMB2 thread, but I would appreciate hearing from those who post here.

Yiggy vs MMB2...

Question for those owning any of the Yggy forms and also having significant MMB2 listening time.

The MMB2 is quite good; very neutral presentation, offering (in a good system) wide stage and separation.

What does a Yiigy $2k+ differential offer over the MMB2? I am sure there are differences. What are they?

Those differences may be noticeable with a quick A/B comparo, but do they last? Say, we listen to a CD on Yiigy and we appreciate it. A couple of days later we listen to the same CD on MMB2, do we immediately notice the difference?
I a/b from Urd to BiFrost 64 coax vs Yggy GS AES and barely hear a difference. Some thicker bass from the Yggy.

Aug 24, 2023 at 2:52 AM Post #124,610 of 153,407
I
I already invested $120 for the Pi. It works well enough. Not perfect but well enough. The next step up is the Node but I find them overpriced. The Pi does pretty much the same thing for 1/6 the price.

I’m intrigued about Urd despite the price. I can plug both my Mac and my Pi into it and play cds and seamlessly run each one through my Yggy. I like the dedicated cd drive. I also have lots of respect for Mike and team for being bold enough to make it happen. If someone can recreate the same performance and feature set for 1/6 the price I might go there. But probably not. It’s more money than I’d like to spend but then again, it just feels like the better value. To each their own. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I used to run a Node 2, but then I installed picoreplayer with Soundcheck’s settings and it blew the Node away. I sold the Node.

Andrew

Aug 24, 2023 at 3:12 AM Post #124,611 of 153,407
Help needed.... How in the heck do you get the knobs off the Lokius to change them over from Black to Silver?
I can get the Black outside sleeve off, but that inner plastic that attaches to the shaft of the pot is held on with the force of a Norse God.
I don't want to apply too much pressure, as the pots are directly on the PCB ... Any suggestions?

Aug 24, 2023 at 3:13 AM Post #124,612 of 153,407
If there are more crazy people who want Mjolnir 3 than expected, however, I will keep the door open for a second run, where we can plan for 230V. Don't get too excited. We're in a "wait and see" mode on this for now.
This is the thing ... tell people that a product "is not for everyone" and that anyone who wants one must be "crazy" ... and what do you get ??

Unprecedented demand ! Brilliant !!

There must be a marketing term for this phenomenon !

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2023 at 3:21 AM Post #124,613 of 153,407
Help needed.... How in the heck do you get the knobs off the Lokius to change them over from Black to Silver?
I can get the Black outside sleeve off, but that inner plastic that attaches to the shaft of the pot is held on with the force of a Norse God.
I don't want to apply too much pressure, as the pots are directly on the PCB ... Any suggestions?
Apply more pressure, and then you'll be ready for the EXTREME pressure needed to get on the Silver ones. Mine didn't break, at least, not anything I can hear ....

Aug 24, 2023 at 3:39 AM Post #124,614 of 153,407
Apply more pressure, and then you'll be ready for the EXTREME pressure needed to get on the Silver ones. Mine didn't break, at least, not anything I can hear ....
Hmmmm... Definitely needed some outside assists to leverage them off (solid plastic kitchen tool as a lever!). Thanks for the info, all done.

Aug 24, 2023 at 6:24 AM Post #124,615 of 153,407
While you have it fixed already, I love bearing pullers - grabs the shaft and the sleeve only. Example -

1692872658919.png

Aug 24, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #124,616 of 153,407
As a Central Texan, I'm obligated to have a good bbq game. Pellet on the left, stick burner on the right. I mostly use the stick burner side with hickory. It even has a propane starter to make it easy to light the logs. I've got the electric fan for oxygen control to regulate temp. It's great for brisket, turkey, pork butt, etc. I can use the pellet side and throw on 6-8 spatchcocked chickens when I just want smoked meat in the freezer. Bonus, my wife is excellent at taking the smoked carcasses and turning them into stock, so I've almost always got some sort of smoked soup starter.

20221225_100312.jpg

Aug 24, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #124,617 of 153,407
Some sort of heat pipe maybe, lining the interior case?

Tell you what, you make the silver (and Vantablack knobs :wink: ) with a disclaimer about heat management and we'll figure it out.
As a thermal management expert I could design many ways to do it. But not too many ways to do it cost-effectively. :)

Aug 24, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #124,618 of 153,407
This is the thing ... tell people that a product "is not for everyone" and that anyone who wants one must be "crazy" ... and what do you get ??

Unprecedented demand ! Brilliant !!

There must be a marketing term for this phenomenon !
Sometimes "limited production" is a ruse to drive demand, sometimes it is real and driven by economics or supply chain availability. If Schiit was a genuinely capitalistic company running a ruse they would simply keep raising the price until the supply/demand ratio became sustainable at whatever run rate they were targeting. Meaning if they were run like my company. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back