Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 23, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #124,532 of 152,122
Yes - but try finding one that converts 50 hz to 60hz -- had a look on Amazon UK and that aspect is very vaguely referred too but I am not convinced the mains freq is converted too !
Indeed, that's the problem. It's a sine wave synthesizer at that point--basically a power amp made to drive an AC socket.

With respect to the 50Hz problem, consider the amount of magnetics (transformers and chokes) we have in the chassis. It's not simple or easy to deal with. 50Hz is a lot rougher than 60Hz, and results in more field (and heating) than 60Hz. Of course the target for our transformers is 50/60 compatibility, and 98% of the time we hit it (Lyr 3/+ uses different transformers for 230V, all other products don't). This one misses, like Lyr.

Now, if you're running off a switching supply, you don't have this problem at all. You have tons of other problems, but not this one. Open up the analyzer to 1MHz and you'll quickly see where the problems are, and why we're not a fan of switchers, unless they are unavoidable due to packaging constraints.

Again: this amp isn't for everyone. We'll see how it goes. If it goes well, maybe there'll be a second run for 230V.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 23, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #124,533 of 152,122
Indeed, that's the problem. It's a sine wave synthesizer at that point--basically a power amp made to drive an AC socket.

With respect to the 50Hz problem, consider the amount of magnetics (transformers and chokes) we have in the chassis. It's not simple or easy to deal with. 50Hz is a lot rougher than 60Hz, and results in more field (and heating) than 60Hz. Of course the target for our transformers is 50/60 compatibility, and 98% of the time we hit it (Lyr 3/+ uses different transformers for 230V, all other products don't). This one misses, like Lyr.

Now, if you're running off a switching supply, you don't have this problem at all. You have tons of other problems, but not this one. Open up the analyzer to 1MHz and you'll quickly see where the problems are, and why we're not a fan of switchers, unless they are unavoidable due to packaging constraints.

Again: this amp isn't for everyone. We'll see how it goes. If it goes well, maybe there'll be a second run for 230V.
Just synthesize a 60Hz with a SMPS and filter with the choke :D Best of both worlds!

Aug 23, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #124,536 of 152,122
Yes - but try finding one that converts 50 hz to 60hz -- had a look on Amazon UK and that aspect is very vaguely referred too but I am not convinced the mains freq is converted too !
Did that for Sol.
Use a single phase in, single phase out VFD and a step down transformer.
VFD $ 60,00 - $ 100,00. Transformer $ 30,00 - $ 50,00.

Aug 23, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #124,537 of 152,122
**cough, cough** :L3000:

Would have to be painted black on the inside for heat dissipation, and even then marginal. Or have a fan.

Did that for Sol.
Gonna be a bit more expensive for Mjolnir, which draws at least 10x the power of Sol. 100W would technically do it. I'd personally want something bigger.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 23, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #124,538 of 152,122
Too early to give impressions (other than WOW!!), but mine has finally landed as well :)

mj3.jpg

I say finally because the past two days have been super stressful.
FedEx "delivered" the MJ3 on Monday to my office building, but not my office suite ... The signature which I believe to be fake was simply signed as "TTT" (3x capital T's), and the package had been AWOL until this morning.
I finally located it this morning next to our building's outgoing FedEx dropbox on the ground floor.

Thanking my lucky stars that I happened across it when I did because I was at wits end with FedEx's lack of accountability or willingness to explain how a package with a clearly labeled suite number was handled.

My experience with FedEx is also less than stellar. Schiit might consider other shippers. UPS, maybe?

Aug 23, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #124,540 of 152,122
Did that for Sol.
It sounds like trying to do the same for Mjolnir 3 would be considerably more expensive, just a quick look online shows that to handle the kind of power Jason is talking about would go into the several hundreds.

Aug 23, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #124,541 of 152,122
Would have to be painted black on the inside for heat dissipation, and even then marginal. Or have a fan.

Gonna be a bit more expensive for Mjolnir, which draws at least 10x the power of Sol. 100W would technically do it. I'd personally want something bigger.
The VDF mentioned is 750W
The transformer mentioned is 300W

Huge overkill for Sol, but the smallest wattage I could find, so it will work fine for MJ3 I guess :relaxed::rolling_eyes:

Aug 23, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #124,543 of 152,122
With respect to the 50Hz problem, consider the amount of magnetics (transformers and chokes) we have in the chassis. It's not simple or easy to deal with. 50Hz is a lot rougher than 60Hz, and results in more field (and heating) than 60Hz.
After spending 4+ (wonderful) hours with Mjolnir 3 last night... I can tell you that it actually physically vibrates - gently. You can feel the vibration when you touch the case, but it's most prominent when you grasp the volume control. The vibration is inaudible unless I press my ear up to the case... which you don't want to do because it's quite warm...

I can only imagine that the vibration issue would be exacerbated on 50Hz mains.

Aug 23, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #124,544 of 152,122
........................right.........so if I want a Schiit product I can just buy another external transformer that I have to be sure is of high quality to not impact the sound, dopuble up on mains cables and also make sure the frequency matchs, which the base does not. All because Schiit a popular online(international) audio company in 2023 cant wind transformers for the rest of the world when even the smallest chinese company can.

A single limited run product, not the entire company. Jason explained that a 220V version causes the device to not perform up to Schiit's standards. If it sells well enough to go into full-time production they'll revisit the issue. In the meantime you can buy one of their many (if not all other?) 220V products or as @Jason Stoddard has said many times, you can buy something that fits your needs elsewhere.

Good luck!I

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #124,545 of 152,122

To me a quiet fan would not be unreasonable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back