Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 18, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #124,097 of 150,250
How do others handle having many amps 'in use'? I find myself needing a balanced switch with at least 4 outputs (preferably 5), as I'm wary of over-splitting the output from my Loki Max, but finding nothing that exists.

I've ended up settling into specific amp/headphone pairings and my setup is not conducive to swapping XLR cables at the back of amps every time I want to switch headphones.

Two weeks ago, my setup had 'just' 3 amps connected via XLR and I was comfortable using splitters. But I just got a DSHA-3FN (fantastic) and my MJ3 should be here tomorrow, which puts me at 5 amps 'in use'.

Setup:
  • Yggy LIM
    • Loki Max
      • Folkvangr via RCA
        • ZMF Atrium
      • Formula S via XLR
        • DCA Stealth
      • DSHA-3FN via XLR
        • ZMF Verite Closed or Verite Open
      • iHA-6 via XLR
        • Any other headphones I want to throw on, the iHA-6 is my master-of-none amp
      • Freya+ via XLR w/ dual Aegirs
        • Abyss AB-1266 TC (though hoping MJ3 can take the 1266s and free up the Aegirs for speakers, we'll see)
      • Mjolnir 3 via XLR
        • Who knows what headphones I'll like best with it

Anybody have recommendations for a splitter or other ways to handle this? I don't need them all on at once, so a switch is fine, just not finding one that exists.

@Jason Stoddard if you ever want to make a Kara-sized balanced switch with a ton of outputs, you'd have my money. Unless you think a Loki Max can handle its XLR out split 5 ways.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2023 at 11:00 PM Post #124,099 of 150,250
How do others handle having many amps 'in use'? I find myself needing a balanced switch with at least 4 outputs (preferably 5), as I'm wary of over-splitting the output from my Loki Max, but finding nothing that exists.

I've ended up settling into specific amp/headphone pairings and my setup is not conducive to swapping XLR cables at the back of amps every time I want to switch headphones.

Two weeks ago, my setup had 'just' 3 amps connected via XLR and I was comfortable using splitters. But I just got a DSHA-3FN (fantastic) and my MJ3 should be here tomorrow, which puts me at 5 amps 'in use'.

Setup:
  • Yggy LIM
    • Loki Max
      • Folkvangr via RCA
        • ZMF Atrium
      • Formula S via XLR
        • DCA Stealth
      • DSHA-3FN via XLR
        • ZMF Verite Closed or Verite Open
      • iHA-6 via XLR
        • Any other headphones I want to throw on, the iHA-6 is my master-of-none amp
      • Freya+ via XLR w/ dual Aegirs
        • Abyss AB-1266 TC (though hoping MJ3 can take the 1266s and free up the Aegirs for speakers, we'll see)
      • Mjolnir 3 via XLR
        • Who knows what headphones I'll like best with it

Anybody have recommendations for a splitter or other ways to handle this? I don't need them all on at once, so a switch is fine, just not finding one that exists.

@Jason Stoddard if you ever want to make a Kara-sized balanced splitter with a ton of outputs, you'd have my money. Unless you think a Loki Max can handle its XLR out split 5 ways.
Goldpoint splitter for the XLR?

Aug 18, 2023 at 11:11 PM Post #124,100 of 150,250
Aug 18, 2023 at 11:16 PM Post #124,101 of 150,250
I'm not seeing any XLR that are any more than 1 > 2. Do they have an XLR 1 > 5 (or even 4) I'm not seeing?

Aug 18, 2023 at 11:29 PM Post #124,102 of 150,250
I never understood why it’s so hard to make a simple preamp. 99% of people don’t need balanced connections. I’ve never been a fan of passives because they always seem to rob dynamics. These days 5 stereo inputs is overkill. Most people need 2, maybe 3. Dual outputs are handy for those with powered subs. So all that’s really needed is 3 inputs, 2 outputs, a buffer option and a voltage gain option. You already have a cool and unique volume control (although a balance option would still be nice for those of us with unbalanced hearing). My $0.02.

Jotunheim is a good compromise in that it has the headphone out and upgrade option but it trades more ins and outs for balanced connections and it still uses a pot.
Lyr is another good option but could use a second output and it’s expensive.

I also think a one box preamp with phono pre, unison dac, cool volume, and maybe a Loki mini+ and/or loudness button would be a killer option. I can see how it would be extremely challenging but do a small run and see.
First time poster. Hello All.
I have an Asgard 3 with ESS DAC driving Sennheiser HD 600. Really enjoy and recommend the Asgard. But amy time possible I prefer listening to my main rig, which is a 2.1 setup with Salk Song3-A speakers. It’s my good fortune that they are almost the same as the demo speakers at the Schittr (Song3). When I get a chance to stop by, it’s perfect for listening demos due to my familiarity with the speakers! Those Tyrs are awesome!

Anyway, adding to the quoted post, I’d love to see bass management, ie a crossover or smarter Schiit idea, added to the Kara. The only reason I cling to my Parasound Halo P5 pre is the crossover function for mains and subs. Really seems to be a rare but useful feature for non-home theater listening rigs.

Aug 18, 2023 at 11:36 PM Post #124,103 of 150,250
Edgar Winter- The Song.jpeg

Aug 18, 2023 at 11:42 PM Post #124,104 of 150,250
Aug 18, 2023 at 11:57 PM Post #124,106 of 150,250
Unless the Mini C is a bad match for the MJ3
The Eta Mini C has been a really good match for anything I've used it with: Chord Hugo 2, Nitsch Piety, iFi Diablo, A&K SP1000M. Currently in work office service with iFi Diablo. The best match I've heard with Hugo 2, which otherwise sounds kind of sterile. Lovely with Piety, as you probably know since you have that combo. Good for travel with SP1000M. I can't see any reason it would not match the MJ3.

Aug 19, 2023 at 12:03 AM Post #124,107 of 150,250
Would need to cascade them to go 1>2>4>... Not cheap. When I had 3 amps in one place, I asked Goldpoint whether they make custom switches with more outputs, they recommended cascading the 2-output ones.

Aug 19, 2023 at 12:04 AM Post #124,108 of 150,250
Aug 19, 2023 at 12:11 AM Post #124,109 of 150,250
I'm not seeing any XLR that are any more than 1 > 2. Do they have an XLR 1 > 5 (or even 4) I'm not seeing?
Kramer makes a 4x1 XLR switch.

Aug 19, 2023 at 12:20 AM Post #124,110 of 150,250
Anyway, adding to the quoted post, I’d love to see bass management, ie a crossover or smarter Schiit idea, added to the Kara.
What I was doing briefly was using these passive high pass/low pass filters: https://www.hlabs.com/products/crossovers/
worked fine but then I got a new amp which was even better :). I missed the return window so you're welcome to them.

I was using them at 150Hz high pass and 200 Hz low pass or something.

Since the Kara has 3(?) outputs, one set full range, then the others low-passed with the Harrison Fmod and bob's your uncle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back