Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 18, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #124,051 of 150,832
Saga OG is passive with Tube buffer and remote - I have one.

Aug 18, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #124,052 of 150,832
Cookshack Fast Eddy in Corpus, Americue in CA. Both have upsides and downsides. Fast Eddy is a bit better taste, but it takes a ton of pellets to run, and temperatures are a bit more variable. Americue--one chunk of wood and done. Both get Texas Crutch after about 6-7 hours (with butcher paper). Definitely full electric is easier and less expensive to run.
Can't you just leave them out in the sun in TX? Passive grilling is the new summer trend.

Aug 18, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #124,053 of 150,832
It's hard for me to think of a solid use case for the Sagas, and I bought one back in February, and really like it (though it's on sabbatical at the moment). Here is how my thinking evolved on this.
  • You need a preamp for a full two channel rig. The other items are mostly rack width or similar, so Saga doesn't quite 'fit'. Plus, more outputs are better than fewer, so Freya gets the call (or Kara now).
  • You are building a desktop 2 channel rig, so you need the smaller size, but it's also nice to have a HP output. Here the choices are endless - Lyr, Jot 2, Asgard, Magnius, Valhalla, etc.
  • You are building a 2 channel TV rig, and may want to go 2.1 later, or even full HT at some point. Syn for the win here.
  • So what's left? Compact 2 Channel rig that's not going on a desk, with more than two sources and no headphones? OK, but how big is that market?
Saga is a great product, but there are so many other great Schiit products on offer that just seem to fit the need a little better, at least to me, at least if you have more than $299 to spend.

What would make Saga more attractive would be to add a slot for a phono stage or Multi Bit or D/S DAC , where fewer boxes are needed.
Personally my use case is limited space and I'd like a half width components. It's just me, But I'm using a Turntable (obviously full width) on my top shelf. 2nd shelf is a half width Phono Stage and Sys (Which I'd like to replace with an active remote preamp), Bottom shelf is my Raspberry pi based streamer with my 1/2 chassis Naim Unitiqute (used a integrated amp with only 1 analog input)..

Visually the half components work for me, I don't want to go more shelves in the stand.
I'll most likely suck it up and go Lyr+ as it would fit the need, with an extra headphone amp and the ability to try tubes.

Aug 18, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #124,055 of 150,832
Can't you just leave them out in the sun in TX? Passive grilling is the new summer trend.
At least you guys get to use your smokers all year round. In my part of Canada, we have snow and below zero celsius for at least 5 months, so it is usually a no go for me. I know some people here BBQ in their garages, but somehow I feel running a charcoal smoker in a garage would be a really bad idea :)

Some people here continue to BBQ outside in subarctic temperatures and knee-deep or worse snow, but I am too much of a European wimp to do so.

Aug 18, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #124,056 of 150,832
@Jason Stoddard so how about a Kara + Vidar2 = an integrated amplifier that blows away something like the NAIM Supernait 3?

Aug 18, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #124,057 of 150,832
At least you guys get to use your smokers all year round. In my part of Canada, we have snow and below zero celsius for at least 5 months, so it is usually a no go for me. I know some people here BBQ in their garages, but somehow I feel running a charcoal smoker in a garage would be a really bad idea :)

Some people here continue to BBQ outside in subarctic temperatures and knee-deep or worse snow, but I am too much of a European wimp to do so.

I lived well north of the arctic circle for several years and I BBQd year-round. With charcoal.

Now, I'm older and wiser (and a lot further south) and tend to stick to warmer days for BBQing.

:beerchug:
JC

Aug 18, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #124,058 of 150,832
Saga may not be the best of values from the manufacturer perspective. From a consumer perspective, it makes tremendous sense and value to have something this good for someone new getting into the hobby.

For me, the 9x6 form factor is my favorite so it's difficult for me to imagine schiit without saga in the product line. Cheers.

Aug 18, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #124,059 of 150,832
Very tempting! I am wondering whether the MJ3 can properly drive an Abyss 1266 TC.

Aug 18, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #124,060 of 150,832
Oh, so you've met Uncle Bumblef#ck, Mister AvE, the eminent poet and tool whisperer from the Great Canadian Wasteland that is the British Columbia hinterlands?

Aug 18, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #124,061 of 150,832
@Jason Stoddard -- Received my MJ3 and Kara announcement e-mail. Underneath Kara is a "See Gjallarhorn" link description (as opposed to "See Kara") that actually takes one to Kara.

1692393915062.png

Don't get me wrong -- I love the GHorns and thought it was a move to entice folks to pair a mono-block pair with Kara to get an EXECPTIONAL system for an insanely low price. :D

** A Nexus SS balanced preamp with relay volume, remote control, and a discrete HP amp paired with 2x mono-block 30w Class AB discrete amps featuring Continuity S -- all for less than $1,300!? What a farkin' deal!!

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #124,062 of 150,832
She sounds sweet, but I bet she’s really not.
….think I oughta see myself out. way out…
It's like the Girl Next Door movie, starring Speed Racer, whatever that actor's reel name is.

Aug 18, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #124,063 of 150,832

Users who are viewing this thread

Back