Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 18, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #124,036 of 150,811
I got an Aegir in July 2020; if I bought a second now, what are the chances of the two channels sounding noticeably different?
If the older unit still meets specs there should be no difference. I don't remember reading anything that indicated any changes to Aegir that would be audible. For a long time I mulled over using Aegir with SR1a so I followed all posts about it. But by the time I was going to investigate (purchase) my hearing issue had come to light and didn't make sense to keep up with the hardware. Maybe Jason can address this question.

Aug 18, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #124,037 of 150,811
It's hard for me to think of a solid use case for the Sagas, and I bought one back in February, and really like it (though it's on sabbatical at the moment). Here is how my thinking evolved on this.
  • You need a preamp for a full two channel rig. The other items are mostly rack width or similar, so Saga doesn't quite 'fit'. Plus, more outputs are better than fewer, so Freya gets the call (or Kara now).
  • You are building a desktop 2 channel rig, so you need the smaller size, but it's also nice to have a HP output. Here the choices are endless - Lyr, Jot 2, Asgard, Magnius, Valhalla, etc.
  • You are building a 2 channel TV rig, and may want to go 2.1 later, or even full HT at some point. Syn for the win here.
  • So what's left? Compact 2 Channel rig that's not going on a desk, with more than two sources and no headphones? OK, but how big is that market?
Saga is a great product, but there are so many other great Schiit products on offer that just seem to fit the need a little better, at least to me, at least if you have more than $299 to spend.

What would make Saga more attractive would be to add a slot for a phono stage or Multi Bit or D/S DAC , where fewer boxes are needed.
Yes please. I would jump on a Mani/Modi/Saga combo. For people like me that are "amp curious" this would be awesome. Or just a great way to dip your toe into separates without breaking the bank and keeping the cables clean/spouse happy.

I actually bought the Syn for this reason. its just missing the phono pre.

Aug 18, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #124,039 of 150,811
I never understood why it’s so hard to make a simple preamp. 99% of people don’t need balanced connections. I’ve never been a fan of passives because they always seem to rob dynamics. These days 5 stereo inputs is overkill. Most people need 2, maybe 3. Dual outputs are handy for those with powered subs. So all that’s really needed is 3 inputs, 2 outputs, a buffer option and a voltage gain option. You already have a cool and unique volume control (although a balance option would still be nice for those of us with unbalanced hearing). My $0.02.

Jotunheim is a good compromise in that it has the headphone out and upgrade option but it trades more ins and outs for balanced connections and it still uses a pot.
Lyr is another good option but could use a second output and it’s expensive.

I also think a one box preamp with phono pre, unison dac, cool volume, and maybe a Loki mini+ and/or loudness button would be a killer option. I can see how it would be extremely challenging but do a small run and see.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #124,041 of 150,811
Alas, if this "never" ends up becoming a reality (I'm looking at you Black Friday Sale :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)...please consider ordering extra silver tops for those original Mj3 owners to purchase/swap!
I believe Jason said previously that they will only be available in black because of heat dissipation needs.

Aug 18, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #124,042 of 150,811
I am pretty set on audio gear but I would love to see a tube phono preamp one day. Maybe a limited run?

Aug 18, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #124,044 of 150,811
Especially on a Friday
Yeah usually everything breaks on a Friday so you can obsess about it all weekend. Thankfully, I can start the brisket tonight without any lingering "what if we tried..." questions.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 18, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #124,045 of 150,811
Yeah usually everything breaks on a Friday so you can obsess about it all weekend. Thankfully, I can start the brisket tonight without any lingering "what if we tried..." questions.
:laughing:

Aug 18, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #124,046 of 150,811
Bought a Saga S not long ago. I plan on biamping my vintage Snell Type EII’s with a Vidar for the woofers and an Aegir for the tweeters. The Saga S will go between Freya+ and Vidar to balance the gain between the two amps (relay stepped attenuator should be a major improvement over a standard pot for this use case, at least that’s my theory). Loki Max in front of the Freya for EQ…

Aug 18, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #124,047 of 150,811
Mmmmm....brisket. Are you still using your Cookshack Amerique as your smoker? I recently got into that crazy hobby but went the completely opposite way - a charcoal Weber Smokey Mountain. Amazing taste but I still have not found a way of making a rack of ribs without all my clothes smelling like smoke even after going through a washer several times :) Sometimes, I think going full electric smoker would have been simpler.

Aug 18, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #124,048 of 150,811
Mmmmm....brisket. Are you still using your Cookshack Amerique as your smoker? I recently got into that crazy hobby but went the completely opposite way - a charcoal Weber Smokey Mountain. Amazing taste but I still have not found a way of making a rack of ribs without all my clothes smelling like smoke even after going through a washer several times :) Sometimes, I think going full electric smoker would have been simpler.
Cookshack Fast Eddy in Corpus, Americue in CA. Both have upsides and downsides. Fast Eddy is a bit better taste, but it takes a ton of pellets to run, and temperatures are a bit more variable. Americue--one chunk of wood and done. Both get Texas Crutch after about 6-7 hours (with butcher paper). Definitely full electric is easier and less expensive to run.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 18, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #124,049 of 150,811
Saga S is still in the line, as is Saga+.

The Saga of Saga is an interesting one, to be honest, with not a lot of good answers and some (perhaps) very weird choices if we want to do an update on that one.

Here's the thing: Saga is expensive to make. And it doesn't sell that well. And it doesn't have any voltage gain, which some people like. All of those don't bode well for its future, either in S or + form. But if we try to address the lack of voltage gain, it gets more expensive, bringing it closer to Kara. Probably not a winning idea. If we want to cut cost, it's gonna end up in a Syn-like chassis with a wall-wart. Again maybe not the right idea. And then there's the whole question of I/O, as in there's super-limited space for balanced I/O if we want to think about adding that--and, if you increase chassis size, you end up at Kara again.

I'll keep playing with it, but we have both Saga+ and Saga S right now, and I'm pretty sure we have good stock of both. So there's that.
Thanks Jason. It says a lot actually. For what its worth as a single opinion, I'd prefer the size of Saga S (and price to be honest) and don't want/need the Balanced circuitry.

Klara isn't outrageous, I've certainly spent more on a component.

I get that in manufacturing if you had a Saga or Modius Sized enclosure with just RCAs and it cost 80% of Klara then it makes no sense to build. Well I could see where it may struggle to sell..

I also get that LYR+ gets you there without a tube in it, from the size factor.

Thanks again for all that you do.

Aug 18, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #124,050 of 150,811
I know. I mean only passive.
Only passive probably can’t support a remote. Saga S is as close as you can get and still have a remote. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back