Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 1, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #122,866 of 150,453
<<snip>>

On Schiit.com, Urd is now marked "Ships in October." Got me wondering how big the initial run was. 100? 1,000? 5,000? Bet Jason will never tell.

I suspect 100 is too small to get an initial order and have economy of scale, but what do I (we) know?

In his July 12 post introducing Urd, regarding parts procurement / availability, Jason said, "...It didn’t stop there. The custom IEC inlet we spec’d? Oh yeah only 140 of those on the planet. We finally found enough for the run by going to several resellers, some obscure."

so the initial run was probably at least 200-250, perhaps 500 units.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #122,867 of 150,453
"Come in?" Is that supposed to be "Come on," or am I missing something?
You're missing two things, actually.

First: We Schiitizens are generally a pretty welcoming bunch. So come in, have a seat, grab a beer, glass of wine, or a finger or two of Whiskey, and have a listen to our new Class A toy. Jason knows that, so he's simply including this fact into the documentation right out the gate.

Second: The bottom line in this post.

Aug 1, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #122,868 of 150,453
Hello all you wonderful Schiitheads,
I am dipping my toes into the Schiity water, and actually posting something for (I think) the first time on here.
I'm a long time reader and fan of this forum, and of Schiit products. I haven't so far post
I am one of the few lucky UK Schiitheads to have snagged an URD, which I picked up this morning. I'm glad I did, as I think it will be a while until they produce another batch.
@dstrimbu .... A question:
I have an Yggy OG A2 Unison and have yet to acquire a USB C to USB B cable. You mentioned that you swapped yours and all is good now. Could I ask which cable you are now using please?
I am purely CD (several thousand, mainly classical... far too many I think!), and I don't think I'll ever need to go down into the streaming rabbit hole.

Aug 1, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #122,870 of 150,453

I am dipping my toes into the Schiity water, and actually posting something for (I think) the first time on here.
I'm a long time reader and fan of this forum, and of Schiit products. I haven't so far post
I am one of the few lucky UK Schiitheads to have snagged an URD, which I picked up this morning. I'm glad I did, as I think it will be a while until they produce another batch.
I have an Yggy OG A2 Unison and have yet to acquire a USB C to USB B cable. You mentioned that you swapped yours and all is good now. Could I ask which cable you are now using please?
I am purely CD (several thousand, mainly classical... far too many I think!), and I don't think I'll ever need to go down into the streaming rabbit hole.

I find streaming to be extremely convenient, however, I also have quite a few CDs and some LP's
which is why I still use my Naim CDi and SYSTEMDEK IIX.

The URD makes sense because it allows for CD playback (with a separate dac) as well as the ability
to stream content. I also like that it functions as a USB to S/PDIF bridge (like Schiit EITR) so that you can use older dacs that don't have USB inputs, with the USB outputs of computers and tablets.

Aug 1, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #122,871 of 150,453
Hello and welcome, @Headcase88 !

My current USB cable is a 2M Canon USB-A to USB-B cable (that came with my photo printer), adapted on the USB-A end by using the AudioQuest DragonTail DAC adaptor... the DragonTail is USB-A female on one end, and USB-C male on the other. The printer cable is not ideal for this use, as it has a non-removable ferrite bead on the USB-B end. I will be replacing it with a good, mid-range / mid-price USD-C to USB-B cable soonest... but right now, this one is working perfectly!

I have both Tidal and Qobuz subscriptions, and I'm not planning to part with either in the near term. However, I can tell you that a "well-spun CD", converted to analogue by Yggy, sounds as good as any other media on my system - including my turntable.

You have a lot to look forward to with Urd! Congratulations and please keep us posted on your discoveries. /ds

Aug 1, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #122,872 of 150,453
i had Cardas make a custom usb A to usb C cable, i think it was 150, seems very well made.
Ohhh thanks for bringing up Cardas! I have a Cardas Blue USB-A to USB-B cable that currently connects my Lenovo P340T workstation to my OG Jotunheim's internal DAC card. Since I can't listen in both places at the same time, I can add the AQ DragonTail to the Cardas, and try it between Urd and Yggy this evening.

The large ferrite bead on the USB-B end of the Canon printer / AQ adaptor Franken-cable simply can't be good for a USB audio connection... it least I don't think it is. :)

BTW, the Cardas cable is very well made sounds great in the upstairs system. Good choice IMHO.

Aug 1, 2023 at 8:33 PM Post #122,873 of 150,453
Ohhh thanks for bringing up Cardas! I have a Cardas Blue USB-A to USB-B cable that currently connects my Lenovo P340T workstation to my OG Jotunheim's internal DAC card. Since I can't listen in both places at the same time, I can add the AQ DragonTail to the Cardas, and try it between Urd and Yggy this evening.

The large ferrite bead on the USB-B end of the Canon printer / AQ adaptor Franken-cable simply can't be good for a USB audio connection... it least I don't think it is. :)

BTW, the Cardas cable is very well made sounds great in the upstairs system. Good choice IMHO.

Aug 1, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #122,875 of 150,453
Many thanks for the info. @dstrimbu. I might just try an inexpensive USB C to USB B to start with. I am not a cable sceptic by any means, but I'd rather not shell out for a fairly expensive one, when the SQ benefit is marginal.
Anyway, please do let us know what you end up with?
Will do - I just swapped the Cardas Blue for the Canon printer cable... but got called away, so listening tests will have to wait a bit... <sigh>.

Promise to keep you posted. BTW, per Jason and Mike - any decent USB cable should work just fine. If you can find a cable without a ferrite bead, it'll be a better choice.

Aug 1, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #122,876 of 150,453
All this talk about the most eminent philosophers in human history … and no mention of me?
I'm hurt… 😒

😁
Yeah. It's almost like you're being kept at arms(chair) length. :sweat:

Aug 1, 2023 at 9:38 PM Post #122,877 of 150,453
Did you inadvertantly activate the Taylor Swift Filter again?
Did you ever hear Einstein's explanation on how radio works? Something like, "it's like a very long cat where you pull the tail here and sound comes out there. Except there's no cat."

That cat is transferring the bits from the platter to the DAC and sometimes, somewhere, someone steps on its tail...

Aug 1, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #122,878 of 150,453
In audio news, my child's gamer headphone has failed.

She has a Hel. Recommendations on good, Hel-compatible, mic-enabled gamer headphones?

Aug 1, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #122,879 of 150,453
Welcome! And as we're fond of saying here - sorry about your wallet. :smile_phones:

FWIW, I'm using a very cheap USB C - USB B cable with no issues other than having to re-seat the cable at first use. Cheers!

Aug 1, 2023 at 9:50 PM Post #122,880 of 150,453
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back