Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 29, 2023 at 2:09 AM Post #122,596 of 150,484
Thanks, but sorry, maybe I wasn't clear.
Everything works if I take the Bifrost OUT of the chain.
Normally my source is the Node 2, so when the sound stopped I thought I can easily check if I'm getting analog out from that - and I do, straight to Freya+ and the rest of the chain, no issues.

Optical, Coax out from the Node 2i to Bifrost I get nothing, nor do I get anything from my laptop via USB to Bifrost (except that the laptop knows it's connected to the Bifrost)

I really think the Bifrost Bit the Frost.
Well I think you have your answer, if everything works but the bifrost then it’s the culprit. Call Schiit, hope it’s under warranty.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2023 at 2:18 AM Post #122,597 of 150,484
Thanks, but sorry, maybe I wasn't clear.
Everything works if I take the Bifrost OUT of the chain.
Normally my source is the Node 2, so when the sound stopped I thought I can easily check if I'm getting analog out from that - and I do, straight to Freya+ and the rest of the chain, no issues.

Optical, Coax out from the Node 2i to Bifrost I get nothing, nor do I get anything from my laptop via USB to Bifrost (except that the laptop knows it's connected to the Bifrost)

I really think the Bifrost Bit the Frost.
Wonder if it's possible for the muting relay to get stuck on. Do you have bit perfect playback from the Node 2i such that you could try alternating between sample rates on the material you're feeding the bifrost? Wonder if the relay would click at all.

Jul 29, 2023 at 2:21 AM Post #122,598 of 150,484
@Timster

have you tried another usb cable?

also, assuming the re-flashing was performed using the new firmware (compatible with both the OG and /64 Analog Cards), have you also tried enabling NOS mode?

does the relay click when changing input sample rate (or when disconnecting / reconnecting an s/pdif source with corresponding input selected)?

if you are "lucky" the failure may be in the analog card, and perhaps you could get schiit to send out a replacement (or purchase a /64 one to try out)

is there a service depot in Aus (similar to Sonority??? in Europe)?

Jul 29, 2023 at 2:22 AM Post #122,599 of 150,484
Wonder if it's possible for the muting relay to get stuck on. Do you have bit perfect playback from the Node 2i such that you could try alternating between sample rates on the material you're feeding the bifrost? Wonder if the relay would click at all.
Thanks @theeclone

Interesting thought ... hmmm, I can probably do that as have some high res material that I can feed from the PC in my office.
On the list to test in the morning.

Jul 29, 2023 at 2:37 AM Post #122,600 of 150,484
@Timster

have you tried another usb cable?

also, assuming the re-flashing was performed using the new firmware (compatible with both the OG and /64 Analog Cards), have you also tried enabling NOS mode?

does the relay click when changing input sample rate (or when disconnecting / reconnecting an s/pdif source with corresponding input selected)?

if you are "lucky" the failure may be in the analog card, and perhaps you could get schiit to send out a replacement (or purchase a /64 one to try out)

is there a service depot in Aus (similar to Sonority??? in Europe)?
Thanks @tincanear

I'll try another USB cable, but at the time I was using the system it was Node 2i via Coax to the Bifrost.
I'll try swapping source cables when active to check for relay click, as well as NOS mode.

I bought it 18 months ago from the OG owner, who got it from Schiit anyway, so the local distributor wont be much help.
If I have to send it back, then I will, just want to rule out as much as I can before then.

Jul 29, 2023 at 4:37 AM Post #122,601 of 150,484
I’m building a “gaming corner” with a TV, and few gaming consoles connected to it. So far it works fine but the audio from the TV is beyond “meh”, so I’m thinking of a Rekkr with some small speakers. Like 10 inches tall tops, wall-mounted beside the TV.

Any tips on small speakers that the Rekkr will drive well? Thanks!

Jul 29, 2023 at 5:01 AM Post #122,603 of 150,484
Lol. It was my first beer. I was 16 and driving around on the beach (Wrightsville in NC) with a buddy in his dad's 4WD Range Rover when we ran across a dive bar on a lonely stretch of beach. It was 90+ degrees and we were hot and thirsty. Walked in and we were the only patrons at 3 PM. It was dark inside and the AC felt great. Sat at the bar and the bartender asked what we wanted. Behind him was a glorious neon sign for Schlitz beer, so not knowing schiit about beer, that's what we ordered. We were 16 and it was ice cold! Still ranks as one of the best beers I've ever had. Funny how memories work. 😄
Yeah, Schlitz. Made right here in Winston-Salem, at least up until the 90’s or so. Not one of my favorites I must say, but it did fit the underaged drinker’s budget.
Another blast from my misspent past is Pabst Blue Ribbon. Nasty stuff, but now a cult favorite with the younger crowd.

Jul 29, 2023 at 6:21 AM Post #122,605 of 150,484
You may need some more ventilation--I'm currently redoing the manual to include provisos like "if you think 85 degrees F/30 degrees C is comfortable, you may need to put a fan on Mjolnir 3." Truly not for everyone.

Aaaand, you're gonna kill me: no silver on Mjolnir 3. We need the black for heat dissipation. Seriously.

Remind me again why we're introducing this in the summer? Ah well, timing...
This is absolutely right ... I've got a competitor Class A amplifier (only because I get local, French, support) and that gets truly hot as well ... cannot touch the case !!

Jul 29, 2023 at 6:53 AM Post #122,606 of 150,484
Jul 29, 2023 at 7:03 AM Post #122,607 of 150,484
If you want to go old school, try a couple of these.
IMG_1436.JPG

Jul 29, 2023 at 7:04 AM Post #122,608 of 150,484
Excuse the squarish shape and lack of giant bubbles (spelt doesn't work entirely the same as wheat), but...this is what we usually do for pizza at our house:

IMG_2054.jpg
When you're testing the MJ3 ?? Ha !

Jul 29, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #122,609 of 150,484
If you want to go old school, try a couple of these.
My current favorite beer comes from the oldest brewery in the world. According to their website this brand dates back to 1040.

3076945D-CEEB-4680-A9E1-BE08151AB503.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back