Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 28, 2023 at 11:03 PM Post #122,581 of 150,484
Perfect reissue (remaster) for Friday night jazz-blues relaxation (full album on Qobuz):

Jul 29, 2023 at 12:30 AM Post #122,585 of 150,484
Well, Schiit.
Was sitting here minding my own business with some tunes, and "click" ... no more sound.
Hmmm, what's up? All the lights are on, but no-one is home.
Chain at that point was : Node 2i > Bifrost 2 > Freya+ > Syn > Lokius > Vidars > Tannoys

Shut everything down, restarted. Nada.
Bypassed Bifrost 2 with analog out from the Node 2i > Freya+, and sound came back.
Tried all inputs, and both outputs on Bifrost, nothing. It's recognised by my laptop, but that's all.
Took the lid off to see any magic smoke, but nothing.
Reseated the Unison and Output cards, tried again, nope.
Re-flashed the firmware, tried again, nope.

/SAD

Is there anything else I can try? - like some hard reset (but I assume power off/on does that)

Jul 29, 2023 at 12:39 AM Post #122,586 of 150,484
Excuse the squarish shape and lack of giant bubbles (spelt doesn't work entirely the same as wheat), but...this is what we usually do for pizza at our house:

IMG_2054.jpg
I do Spelt crusts as well (bleeping IBS), not as much gluten so not as much structure. We are pretty much Burrata devotees here…

Jul 29, 2023 at 12:42 AM Post #122,587 of 150,484
POINT OF ORDER, MR. SPEAKER! Pineapple on pizza was invented in Canada. In Chatham, Ontario, to be precise, by Sam Panopolous. For this, I apologize on behalf of the country of Canada and all Canadians (except those who actually like pineapple on their pizzas). While I'm here, I'll also apologize for Nickelback. I will not apologize for poutine, maple syrup, or the vocal styling of Geddy Lee in the early years of Rush (though, to be honest, I should).
So a Greek in Canada invented “Hawaii’an” pizza. Hmm. Beware of Greeks bearing pizza?

Jul 29, 2023 at 12:45 AM Post #122,588 of 150,484
Jul 29, 2023 at 12:48 AM Post #122,589 of 150,484
A question for those of you looking at using a pair of GHorns. Other than size, why would you choose this configuration instead of an Aegir which is pretty much guarantied to sound better?
With my setup and 96dB efficient MLs, I actually use either 1 Aegir or 1 Gjallarhorn. They sound amazingly similar, TBH.

Jul 29, 2023 at 12:56 AM Post #122,590 of 150,484
Best pizza in San Francisco? Escape From New York Pizza on Haight
Runner-up, but a bit too pricey for what it is: Tony's in North Beach

Best pizza around where I live? Pizza Guys. Not even kidding, it's actually pretty darn near perfect for cardboard box delivery pizza.

Best pizza I've ever had anywhere? The family-owned Tisene in Tisens, South Tyrol, Italy. The place doesn't look like much, but the pizzas and calzones their pizzaiolo makes in their wood-fired oven are truly mind-altering.
I’m VERY fond of Grimaldi’s in Scottsdale. Coal-fired ovens, oddly.

Jul 29, 2023 at 1:08 AM Post #122,591 of 150,484
Disagree! Coors out in Colorado is way better than anywhere else. I had “one” out in Colorado on a ski trip and it tasted unlike any Coors I could ever remember drinking. It was highly enjoyable 😁
Much like Newcastle (which ain’t what it used to be), Coors travels… poorly.

Jul 29, 2023 at 1:39 AM Post #122,592 of 150,484
Well, Schiit.
Was sitting here minding my own business with some tunes, and "click" ... no more sound.
Hmmm, what's up? All the lights are on, but no-one is home.
Chain at that point was : Node 2i > Bifrost 2 > Freya+ > Syn > Lokius > Vidars > Tannoys

Shut everything down, restarted. Nada.
Bypassed Bifrost 2 with analog out from the Node 2i > Freya+, and sound came back.
Tried all inputs, and both outputs on Bifrost, nothing. It's recognised by my laptop, but that's all.
Took the lid off to see any magic smoke, but nothing.
Reseated the Unison and Output cards, tried again, nope.
Re-flashed the firmware, tried again, nope.

/SAD

Is there anything else I can try? - like some hard reset (but I assume power off/on does that)
I would work your way down the chain, do you have anything else you can use as a source? If not, do you have another set of tubes?

Jul 29, 2023 at 1:41 AM Post #122,593 of 150,484
As a north-easterner who’s spent close to 25 years in Austin, I’m going to vouch for the usefulness of y’all and all y’all.
Try restarting the laptop. If the USB ports did something strange it looks JUST like that. I think I had that happen a couple of times with my old computer. With, btw, a Bifrost.

Jul 29, 2023 at 1:47 AM Post #122,594 of 150,484
I would work your way down the chain, do you have anything else you can use as a source? If not, do you have another set of tubes?
Thanks, but sorry, maybe I wasn't clear.
Everything works if I take the Bifrost OUT of the chain.
Normally my source is the Node 2, so when the sound stopped I thought I can easily check if I'm getting analog out from that - and I do, straight to Freya+ and the rest of the chain, no issues.

Optical, Coax out from the Node 2i to Bifrost I get nothing, nor do I get anything from my laptop via USB to Bifrost (except that the laptop knows it's connected to the Bifrost)

I really think the Bifrost Bit the Frost.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2023 at 1:58 AM Post #122,595 of 150,484
Negra Modelo is my go-to Mexican beer. I assume that’s what you meant. 🤠🍺
I like Modelo Negra, and I like Dos Eqis Ambar as well. Oh, and Moose Drool, but it’s from Montana. Probably doesn’t count as Mexican….

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back