Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 28, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #122,566 of 150,493
This was my backyard today in Santa Barbara, which is close to the beach. That near-70F dewpoint definitely made it feel muggy. Inland temps, like where Schiit is, have been hitting triple-digit F this whole week.

Screenshot 2023-07-27 at 5.44.02 PM.png
This was my front yard this week. It's hot, but beer fixes that, mostly.

Beach.jpg

Jul 28, 2023 at 9:22 PM Post #122,567 of 150,493
Prisoner Wines - 'Cuttings' Cab is when I found that it's not that I didn't like wine - I just didn't like cheap wine. 😀

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2023 at 9:24 PM Post #122,568 of 150,493
Opinions requested: Are the Genalex Gold Pin Lion Reissue 6922/E88CC tubes worth the price for a Freya N?

Jul 28, 2023 at 9:25 PM Post #122,569 of 150,493
What tubes do you currently have?

Jul 28, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #122,570 of 150,493
My beer-snob credentials predate micro brews, but one of my favorite beer memories is one of those lighter varieties: My buddy and I arrived at our car after a sunny, sweaty, dusty Grateful Dead concert in Ventura in 1985. I pulled a bottle of Budweiser out of the slushy icewater in our cooler and drank half or more of it in one pull. My friend did the same, and we agreed it would have been good inspiration for a beer commercial.

Stay cool, people!

Jul 28, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #122,571 of 150,493
What tubes do you currently have?
2 pairs of Amperex Bugle Boys from 1962-1963 for the right hand pair, a pair of Soviet 6N23P Reflectors for the left; a pair of 1972 Japanese Raytheon 6FQ7/6CG7's for the right pair on the way, and another pair of Reflector silver-shields from 1974 for the left, also on the way.

Jul 28, 2023 at 9:39 PM Post #122,572 of 150,493
My beer-snob credentials predate micro brews, but one of my favorite beer memories is one of those lighter varieties: My buddy and I arrived at our car after a sunny, sweaty, dusty Grateful Dead concert in Ventura in 1985. I pulled a bottle of Budweiser out of the slushy icewater in our cooler and drank half or more of it in one pull. My friend did the same, and we agreed it would have been good inspiration for a beer commercial.

Stay cool, people!
I have had just the opposite experience - just to prove my snobbiness. After climbing all morning we walked the 30 minutes back to the car in 104 degree temps. We get to my friends car and he pulls out a cooler and hands me a Modelo that is icy cold. Thankful, I took a hearty swig. I immediately handed the can back to him. That schiit was completely undrinkable! Thirst was far preferable!!!

Jul 28, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #122,573 of 150,493
2 pairs of Amperex Bugle Boys from 1962-1963 for the right hand pair, a pair of Soviet 6N23P Reflectors for the left; a pair of 1972 Japanese Raytheon 6FQ7/6CG7's for the right pair on the way, and another pair of Reflector silver-shields from 1974 for the left, also on the way.
if you were replacing stock tubes I would say YES, but you've got some nice tubes there, so I'd say Nah to the Gold Lions. I have a set and rolled them into my Freya and while good - nothing spectacular. A pair of Brimar CV455s from Langrex along with adapters and you will have reached the pinnacle of tubedom, IMHO. 😉

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2023 at 9:50 PM Post #122,574 of 150,493
I have a se

if you were replacing stock tubes I would say YES, but you've got some nice tubes there, so I'd say Nah to the Gold Lions. I have a set and rolled them into my Freya and while good - nothing spectacular. A pair of Brimar CV455s from Langrex along with adapters and you will have reached the pinnacle of tubedom, IMHO. 😉
Cool! I appreciate your opinion. I may divert the cash to another set of headphones, or the Brimars. This one? https://www.langrex.co.uk/products/12at7-cv455-kb-fb-brimar-rare-triple-mica-1956-nos-valve-tube/

Jul 28, 2023 at 9:53 PM Post #122,575 of 150,493
Last edited:
Jul 28, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #122,576 of 150,493
Lol. It was my first beer. I was 16 and driving around on the beach (Wrightsville in NC) with a buddy in his dad's 4WD Range Rover when we ran across a dive bar on a lonely stretch of beach. It was 90+ degrees and we were hot and thirsty. Walked in and we were the only patrons at 3 PM. It was dark inside and the AC felt great. Sat at the bar and the bartender asked what we wanted. Behind him was a glorious neon sign for Schlitz beer, so not knowing schiit about beer, that's what we ordered. We are 16 and it was ice cold! Still ranks as one of the best beers I've ever had. Funny how memories work. 😄

Hahaha oh man....... My story is much different.....

I was between 13-15 in the mid 90's. My grandparents still lived on their dairy farm in north central MN. I came down in the summer during the middle of haying season to toss and stack hay bales... it was late july/early august (second cutting) and had been a loooong day out in the field and in the haysheds, lets say 85 degrees, 50 percent humidity... At the end of the day my grandpa asked if I wanted a "cold" beer...
I said sure, kinda excited, kinda nervous, not knowing if he was serious or not.... I expected him to go down to the basement and get an old milwaukee light out of the fridge, as thats what him, my dad, and my uncles drank while taking Finnish style saunas......

Nahhhh......

He goes out to the sweltering garage and grabs a Schlitz from the 12 pack sitting on the steps and hands it to me.....

Terrible beer, and not anywhere near "cold". I drank it though. It was my last beer for at least a couple of years, and maybe that was the point....

Good story though, and now I enjoy a number beers at cellar or colder room temp.

I haven't tried Schlitz at room temp since then.......Maybe I should.....

This story reminds me... I need to build a sauna... Feel like I am forsaking my heritage without one.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #122,577 of 150,493
Yes. Don't let the price fool you. They are HIGHLY REGARDED by many of us tubies here. They are the coveted Footscray factory versions.

You will need 6922 to 12AT7 adapters to use them with Freya N.
Thank you very much! I've added these to the top of my "to get" list!

Jul 28, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #122,579 of 150,493
I have had just the opposite experience - just to prove my snobbiness. After climbing all morning we walked the 30 minutes back to the car in 104 degree temps. We get to my friends car and he pulls out a cooler and hands me a Modelo that is icy cold. Thankful, I took a hearty swig. I immediately handed the can back to him. That schiit was completely undrinkable! Thirst was far preferable!!!

My experience with Modelo Especial lager has been similar to drinking cold n soapy bathwater.... I imagine its what cilantro tastes like to people who don't like cilantro...

Still...on a hot day, if its wet & its cold, down the hatchshegoes (intentional compounding).

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2023 at 10:57 PM Post #122,580 of 150,493
Prisoner Wines - 'Cuttings' Cab is when I found that it's not that I didn't like wine - I just didn't like cheap wine. 😀
yes! great wine. great wine doesnt have to be expensive. but great wine is a far better thing than no so great wine! im drinking Billecart Salmon Brut Rose at the minute and its DELICIOUS. its Dom Perignon without the marketing cost!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back