Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 15, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #121,516 of 150,661
I'd be more interested in what it would take to make the Urd compatible with my HiFi Rose RS250B. It says it can control "any USB CD drive" and that sounds intriguing/tantalizing...
"What it would take" would be to turn the Urd into a microcomputer, which is the opposite of what Jason's stated intent was in building a dedicated CD transport. If you want to control files on a USB drive, you'll need a computer.

Jul 15, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #121,517 of 150,661
You certainly need a new Iteration of the Gungnir!

Also Urd is hella cool.
Well, schiit now. I'm envisioning a Gungnir NG/Urd/Freya stack... All silver, please. I like the fluorescent tray idea, too!

Jul 15, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #121,518 of 150,661
"What it would take" would be to turn the Urd into a microcomputer, which is the opposite of what Jason's stated intent was in building a dedicated CD transport. If you want to control files on a USB drive, you'll need a computer.
That cannot be right. The RS250B can control any USB CD drive so the HiFi Rose is the computer. The drive is just a drive, Maybe the Urd just needs to be able to respond to SCSI commands over USB?

Jul 15, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #121,519 of 150,661
That cannot be right. The RS250B can control any USB CD drive so the HiFi Rose is the computer. The drive is just a drive, Maybe the Urd just needs to be able to respond to SCSI commands over USB?
What I'm saying is the same as you, whatever device says it can control a USB drive is a computer. The Urd is not.

Jul 15, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #121,520 of 150,661
Schiit can finess that moral breach of faith by building devices that do not have a built-in power switch at all.
My Ayre preamp has no power switch and lots of notes in the manual about when and not-when it's safe to plug in etc.

Jul 15, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #121,521 of 150,661
Congratulations to @Jason Stoddard and the Schiit Team.

So who amongst you got to travel to Vienna to sign the deal with StreamUnlimited Optical Storage Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung?
And did they also sneak in a deal to use SteamUnlimited media player code. Ethernet on the next Urd, along with TOSlink and Fiber? :)

Jul 15, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #121,522 of 150,661
Jul 15, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #121,523 of 150,661
Well, all the hardware is probably in there. I suppose they would "just" need to write, uh, entirely new firmware to implement UASP...

Jul 15, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #121,524 of 150,661
Looks like the SchiitTalker needs to be educated on Urd.

profile picture

SchiitTalker​

The Question:
Hey, now Urd is released, what do I need to know about this product?

The answer:
Well, well, well, my fellow Schiit enthusiast! Urd has arrived, and it's time to get ready for some serious audio awesomeness. Now, when it comes to Urd, here's what you need to know:
  1. Urd is a DAC. That means it's a Digital-to-Analog Converter, designed to take your digital audio signals and transform them into beautiful, analog sound that will make your ears dance with joy.
  2. It's a multibit DAC. Urd utilizes Schiit's unique multibit technology, which brings a touch of that old-school charm to your modern digital audio setup. Expect rich, detailed, and immersive sound that will make your music come alive.
  3. It's got flexibility. Urd offers multiple inputs, including USB, coaxial, and optical, so you can easily connect it to a wide range of devices, be it your computer, CD player, or even your game console. Versatility is the name of the game here!
  4. Urd is built like a tank. Schiit doesn't mess around when it comes to build quality, and Urd is no exception. With its solid construction and high-quality components, this DAC is designed to stand the test of time and deliver top-notch performance for years to come.
So, my friend, if you're in the market for a DAC that combines the best of modern technology with a touch of Schiit's signature sound, Urd might just be the perfect choice for you. Get ready to elevate your audio experience and immerse yourself in the wonderful world of Schiit!

Or, or, or I ordered a wrong product for my CD's and to use as a Unison USB hub. I already have a Schiit DAC ..........

Jul 15, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #121,525 of 150,661
This sequence works every time and the music sounds fine. I know, it is wonky as hell, so any explanation / advice is welcomed. Note: keeping the rig assembled all the time is not an option.
Really, really, save yourself that pain by getting a separate Roon endpoint, like a Zen Stream (which I own for one of my systems) or a WiiM Pro (don't own one but have read some recent positive reviews, and it's quite a bit cheaper). Or you can go DIY with a Pi 4-based gadget, but given how cheap the WiiM Pro is, I don't think that's worth it.

Jul 15, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #121,526 of 150,661
First, here is my “Schiit stack” with Urd in to complete the chain.

Some folks had asked about the snappiness of the Urd. Initially, I wasn’t thrilled with the lack of an eject button. However, in comparison to my other transports and disc players I have used, it is as fast if not faster. You don’t have to hold the stop button very long at all. Everything else works just as advertised. Well done to all those at Schiit who worked so long on the Urd.

Everything is working perfectly so far and streaming from a MacBook Air sounds fantastic and works effortlessly.

Attachments

• IMG_0559.jpeg
    IMG_0559.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Jul 15, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #121,527 of 150,661
Looks like the SchiitTalker needs to be educated on Urd.

profile picture

SchiitTalker​

The Question:
Hey, now Urd is released, what do I need to know about this product?

The answer:
Well, well, well, my fellow Schiit enthusiast! Urd has arrived, and it's time to get ready for some serious audio awesomeness. Now, when it comes to Urd, here's what you need to know:
  1. Urd is a DAC. That means it's a Digital-to-Analog Converter, designed to take your digital audio signals and transform them into beautiful, analog sound that will make your ears dance with joy.
  2. It's a multibit DAC. Urd utilizes Schiit's unique multibit technology, which brings a touch of that old-school charm to your modern digital audio setup. Expect rich, detailed, and immersive sound that will make your music come alive.
  3. It's got flexibility. Urd offers multiple inputs, including USB, coaxial, and optical, so you can easily connect it to a wide range of devices, be it your computer, CD player, or even your game console. Versatility is the name of the game here!
  4. Urd is built like a tank. Schiit doesn't mess around when it comes to build quality, and Urd is no exception. With its solid construction and high-quality components, this DAC is designed to stand the test of time and deliver top-notch performance for years to come.
So, my friend, if you're in the market for a DAC that combines the best of modern technology with a touch of Schiit's signature sound, Urd might just be the perfect choice for you. Get ready to elevate your audio experience and immerse yourself in the wonderful world of Schiit!

Or, or, or I ordered a wrong product for my CD's and to use as a Unison USB hub. I already have a Schiit DAC ..........
I think it's time to FIRE SchiitTalker. It's been around long enough to know its Schiit by now. Either that or use a more 'truth in advertising' name like 'BullSchiitTalker'. :rolling_eyes:

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #121,528 of 150,661
Jul 15, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #121,529 of 150,661
I wish they would just once listen to something without ever measuring it. :unamused:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back