Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 26, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #120,482 of 151,555
All I am hearing is head to not-CA for winery tours...
I would say, if you're not a) completely into wine or b) don't feel compelled to visit the prime US wine producing area, then... yeah.

And if you are coming to NorCal and want to hang with people who make wine bc they love it, come to the Sonoma Valley AVA - around Glen Ellen / Kenwood (my alma mater) Benziger Family Winery (winemaker Lisa Amaroli is wonderful); also Imagery Estate Winery (my friend Jamie Benziger is the winemaker), B.R. Cohn, Little Family Winery, St. Francis, Chateau St. Jean, Landmark Vineyards (best Chardonnay ever, BTW). I'm sure that I missed a couple.

Jason mentioned the Russian River Valley AVA: a lot of grapes produced here go into other wineries' bottles, but noted brands are Kendall-Jackson and Rodney Strong. BTW, while both of these companies produce large quantities of wine that are sold into distribution, they also make some low-volume bottled magic. Recommended, especially Rodney...

Dry Creek AVA: Rafanelli, Amista, Quivera (biodynamic!), Mazzocco (a Zinfandel mecca) and my favorite, Dutcher Crossing Winery. Dry Creek is very chill and one of the most relaxing places in Sonoma, IMHO.

No clue how good they are, I was more interested in the breweries nearby but Mission Peninsula seemed to have a few vineyards in Michigan, and I know I plan on screwing around with the scuppernongs in my backyard.

Edit: Also if you had access to a 50% Ste Michelle employee discount for "14 Hands, Northstar, Columbia Crest and Spring Valley Vineyard" minus a couple sub-brands but would have to pay for transcontinental shipping are any of their wines worth it for someone who normally goes beer/liquor because of how unfriendly wine seemed to someone who knows nothing about them?
I would go to Chateau Ste Michelle's website and see what's in distribution vs. limited production... then start out with a bottle that you can get in a local liquor / wine shop. If you like it, go for an assorted six-pack of some of their non-distribution wines, and pay for the temp-controlled shipping. The Columbia Valley Kraken Reserve Cab is stunning; their Columbia Valley Malbec is also amazing, and then there is IMPETUS. At 50% off, I'd buy a case of IMPETUS, just because... but I'm weird. <g>

Have fun!

p.s. - why temp controlled shipping? Because, unlike Schitt gear, wine can't live for more than an hour or two above 85F.

p.p.s. - 50%-off is the general "friends and family" discount at most Sonoma wineries, but don't expect to get that in Napa.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2023 at 9:16 PM Post #120,483 of 151,555
.... The Columbia Valley Kraken Reserve Cab is stunning; their Columbia Valley Malbec is also amazing, and then there is IMPETUS. At 50% off, I'd buy a case of IMPETUS, just because... but I'm weird. <g>
What's IMPETUS?

I need some of the Kraken Reserve Cab to go with my Kraken Rum. Any suggestions for other Kraken spirits to fill out my Kraken-themed bar?

Jun 26, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #120,484 of 151,555
What's IMPETUS?
https://www.ste-michelle.com/chatea...ed-release/2016-impetus-red-wine/5637166342.p

TASTING NOTES​

A visionary wine showcasing three varieties that are stellar in our growing region, but not traditionally blended together. This unique combination provides a mélange of structure, fruit and complexity that represents the pinnacle of excellence in Columbia Valley grape growing and Washington state winemaking.

WINE ANALYSIS​

Blend:
54% Cabernet Sauvignon, 27% Malbec, 19% Syrah
Aging:
Aged for 24 months in 100% new French oak.
Alcohol:
14.9%
TA:
0.58 g/100 mL
F:
Fermented in small lots for maximum flexibility during blending.

Jun 26, 2023 at 10:26 PM Post #120,485 of 151,555
I would say, if you're not a) completely into wine or b) don't feel compelled to visit the prime US wine producing area, then... yeah.

And if you are coming to NorCal and want to hang with people who make wine bc they love it, come to the Sonoma Valley AVA - around Glen Ellen / Kenwood (my alma mater) Benziger Family Winery (winemaker Lisa Amaroli is wonderful); also Imagery Estate Winery (my friend Jamie Benziger is the winemaker), B.R. Cohn, Little Family Winery, St. Francis, Chateau St. Jean, Landmark Vineyards (best Chardonnay ever, BTW). I'm sure that I missed a couple.

Jason mentioned the Russian River Valley AVA: a lot of grapes produced here go into other wineries' bottles, but noted brands are Kendall-Jackson and Rodney Strong. BTW, while both of these companies produce large quantities of wine that are sold into distribution, they also make some low-volume bottled magic. Recommended, especially Rodney...

Dry Creek AVA: Rafanelli, Amista, Quivera (biodynamic!), Mazzocco (a Zinfandel mecca) and my favorite, Dutcher Crossing Winery. Dry Creek is very chill and one of the most relaxing places in Sonoma, IMHO.

I would go to Chateau Ste Michelle's website and see what's in distribution vs. limited production... then start out with a bottle that you can get in a local liquor / wine shop. If you like it, go for an assorted six-pack of some of their non-distribution wines, and pay for the temp-controlled shipping. The Columbia Valley Kraken Reserve Cab is stunning; their Columbia Valley Malbec is also amazing, and then there is IMPETUS. At 50% off, I'd buy a case of IMPETUS, just because... but I'm weird. <g>

Have fun!

p.s. - why temp controlled shipping? Because, unlike Schitt gear, wine can't live for more than an hour or two above 85F.

p.p.s. - 50%-off is the general "friends and family" discount at most Sonoma wineries, but don't expect to get that in Napa.
Yep, sounds like poking around Publix and the local Piggly Wiggly first before paying for a shipment using the internal discount. Now poking around the different types, I thought craft beer was bad but wine is a whole new level.

Jun 26, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #120,486 of 151,555
Tonight's Syn-full song recommendation:

Mona.......Quicksilver Messenger Service

Jun 26, 2023 at 10:50 PM Post #120,487 of 151,555
We lived in Sonoma County for ~6 years in the '90s. On a tight (student) budget, we tended to visit wineries only when guests were in town. Fond memories of riding the tram at Sterling (Calistoga), the pipe organ at Christmas time at Johnson's (Alexander Valley), Mazzocco for Zin (with a 50% locals coupon!), bocce and Barbera at Preston (Dry Creek) on a brilliant Fall day, and multiple pours on a slow morning at Korbel on our way out to the beach.

The one "fine wine" anecdote that comes to mind: my wife worked some catering jobs at wineries, and some of her compensation was food and wine from the event. We had the most amazing picnic on the bluff atop Bodega Head with gourmet food, Joseph Phelps Insignia(!), the view south to Pt. Reyes, and a pod of humpbacks that crossed Bodega harbor and breached right below us. We could hear them breathe!

Jun 27, 2023 at 12:30 AM Post #120,488 of 151,555
We had the most amazing picnic on the bluff atop Bodega Head with gourmet food, Joseph Phelps Insignia(!), the view south to Pt. Reyes, and a pod of humpbacks that crossed Bodega harbor and breached right below us. We could hear them breathe!
I love this, we drive through Bodega Bay to the North Sonoma coast frequently, where one of the highlights are the humpbacks feeding just offshore when the anchovies are running, like early August last year.

Jun 27, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #120,489 of 151,555
You sure can, and you should. The brewery in Windsor is a great place to visit, but I personally prefer their brewpub in Santa Rosa.

Or, just stop by my desk most days after ~4PM...

Pliny_001.jpeg
Life is terrible!

Jun 27, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #120,490 of 151,555
I thought craft beer was bad but wine is a whole new level.

Oh gawd you have no idea...

...just remember, the ultimate question is whether the wine goes down your neck...or down the sink.

As long as you stick to what you like and don't buy for label or price, you'll be fine. If you have a local retailer that does winetasting events, especially educational ones, that's a fantastic place to start.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 27, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #120,491 of 151,555
Screenshot_20230627_080637_Instagram.jpg

Jun 27, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #120,492 of 151,555
As long as you stick to what you like and don't buy for label or price, you'll be fine. If you have a local retailer that does winetasting events, especially educational ones, that's a fantastic place to start.
Well-stated, Mr. Stoddard.
Also - if you don't like drinking a specific wine, don't "save it to cook with".
Always cook with wines that you'd drink.
(OK, OK, maybe not Phelps Insignia - but next time I open a bottle, I might save an ounce for my spaghetti gravy...)

Jun 27, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #120,493 of 151,555
Jun 27, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #120,494 of 151,555
Are you sure he thought that it was an IPA? He might be one of those people who likes kettle sours...
A big thing in Texas are pickle beers. Some are really neat (think Gose with a bit of pickle spice) and some are so salty and sour that, well, might as well mix some tequila in the pickle jar. Which is also a thing...

Urd assembly has commenced. We may not launch this week, but looks like next week if we don't make it by Friday. In the meantime, here's the final manual, which should address any questions about pause/skip/ff/etc:

Urd Manual

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back