Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 20, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #120,271 of 155,080
Yeah, it's an OG Gumby, so it's surely A1, though it was never marketed as such at the time. I love it's sound signature, so that's the real problem. I'd love two of them and it's not an option anymore. So I'm stuck with the decision of whether to buy a size smaller for the desk, or buy a size larger for 2 channel. From a few comments on here, it sounds like maybe Yggy OG would sound closer, but that's a good bit of change more than LIM.

Still torn.
I own a BF 2/64, one of the last Gungnir's made, and an OG Yggy w/Unison, but I cannot answer your original question since they all sit in their own rigs and I have never made direct comparisons.

I can say they are all excellent, and I am very happy with all three. I cannot believe that the BF 2/64 would hold the ZMF's back in any way.

Jun 20, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #120,272 of 155,080
For those planning to purchase Mjolnir 3: which headphones are you looking forward to trying in combination?

All of them.

My brain immediately heard that in the voice of Chuck Norris :ksc75smile:

IMG_3466.jpeg

Jun 20, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #120,273 of 155,080
I've owned a gumby, a BF2 (later upgraded to a 2/64), and an yggy LIM. In my experience, the TI chips are a bit of a different animal than the AD chips. To me the TIs tend more toward neutral tonality whereas the AD tend more toward warm. In terms of texture I found TI to be smoother with AD having more grit. Both seem about the same in terms of dynamics to me. Based on distant memory the yggy OG (AD chips) might have had better sound staging than the LIM.

Interesting. My experience is based on Yggy OG vs Yggy LIM.

I'd say:

AD is more neutral, TI is warmer
AD is more detailed, TI sounds a tad muffled
Draw on dyanmics
AD has better sound staging

Obviously, IMO, AD chipset smokes TI chipset.

Of course, YGGY OG A2 is fully discrete analog section, whereas LIM uses OPAMPS, so who knows what the real cause of those differences is.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #120,274 of 155,080
Interesting. My experience is based on Yggy OG vs Yggy LIM.

I'd say:

AD is more neutral, TI is warmer
AD is more detailed, TI sounds a tad muffled
Draw on dyanmics
AD has better sound staging

Obviously, IMO, AD chipset smokes TI chipset.

Of course, YGGY OG A2 is fully discrete analog section, whereas LIM uses OPAMPS, so who knows what the real cause of those differences is.
The yggys are where I haven't had a lot of opportunity to compare in depth, but I don't know that I would have described my LIM as warm, after years of working my way up through the Schiit multibit offerings. I would describe the MM1, OG BF, BF2, and gumby as fairly warm though.

But lots of folks have described the BF2 (which used op amps) as warmer than the 2/64, and if I'm not mistaken have also described the gumby as warm sounding.

To me warm is about how the lower mids/upper lows present themselves. If there is some weight and meatiness there without sounding muddy I consider it a warm sound. But maybe I'm not fully capturing the meaning of that term.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #120,275 of 155,080
While I normally resist doing subjective comparisons, here is my opinion: Yggdrasil OG is the most analog and neutral sounding. Gungnir MB OG is the warmest, and Bifrost 2/64 is the brightest and most dynamic. I once called the Yggdrasil as like a Martin acoustic guitar being played by a flamenco master and the Bifrost 2/64 as like a Stratocaster being shredded by a rock guitarist. Gungnir MB is somewhere in between. YMMV.

Jun 20, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #120,276 of 155,080
Yeah, I would not describe my A2 gumby as warm sounding, at least not compared to my A2 yggy or my Bif 2 OG model.

I would agree with @Ableza assessment of Yggy A2 and Bif 2 OG.

For me the Gumby A2 has really detailed, almost hot treble compared to Bif 2 and yggy OG.

Now keep in mind alot of that is HP specific. Gumby A2 and any of my amps is quite nice with HD6XXs, HE6se, Zu Omen DW.

I only found Gumby to be a bit hot in the treble with my Focal Clears and Magnepan LRSs. At higher volume levels. Think 85-88 db on up. Lower level listening was great.

Yggy has sounded great with everything, same with BiF2

Synergy amongst components really has an impact, IMO.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #120,278 of 155,080
Interesting how nobody seems to agree 100%. Sometimes this hobby makes me question my sanity 🤪
All audio is subjective. No two people will hear the same things in exactly the same way. It's why measurements are only good to let a designer know that their design is functioning properly, and why reading other's opinions should always be taken with a grain of salt. Or five. :wink:

Jun 20, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #120,279 of 155,080
All audio is subjective. No two people will hear the same things in exactly the same way. It's why measurements are only good to let a designer know that their design is functioning properly, and why reading other's opinions should always be taken with a grain of salt. Or five. :wink:
Sometimes I have an imaginary conversation in my head with an objectivist where they ask, "Do you really think you'd be able to reliably tell the difference between ______ and _____ in a blind test in laboratory conditions?"

To which I answer, "Probably not! I hate tests and I don't like to listen to music in laboratory conditions."

Yeah, like I said, my sanity is questionable at this point 🙂

Jun 20, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #120,280 of 155,080
Oh excuse me, I meant to say the Hel2E. Amazon reviews are terrible; Head-Fi reviews are terrible, reddit reviews are terrible, and Audioscience reviews are terrible.

Now I know people with problems are the ones posting, not the people without, but everywhere I look it seems nuts. Also referenced are awful RMA support, which for dropping 200$+20$ shipping is scary.
I saw those same negative reviews on Amazon (especially when compared to the Amazon reviews for the Fulla), but I took a chance on the Hel 2E anyways, and I'm glad I did. Great sound, variable mic control, small package - love it. The one and only problem I had with it was that the the USB power supply didn't work from the get-go. I emailed support, and they shipped out another one right away, and I got it 2 days later. So, yes, my initial experience with my Hel 2E wasn't 100% perfect, but sometimes Schiit happens. The important thing is that they set things right as fast as could be reasonably expected, which is the kind of service that helps keep me as a customer. I feel 100% confident that if you get a Hel from them and it fails within the warranty period, they'll do right by you, just as they did with me.

I also have a Magni and a couple of Modis - one for work, and one for home (I plan to upgrade the home one to to Bifrost at some point). Zero problems with any of them.

(Edit: Sorry, I replied to the incorrect original post, so I cut and pasted from the correct Mkilbride's post.)

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #120,282 of 155,080
While I normally resist doing subjective comparisons, here is my opinion: Yggdrasil OG is the most analog and neutral sounding. Gungnir MB OG is the warmest, and Bifrost 2/64 is the brightest and most dynamic. I once called the Yggdrasil as like a Martin acoustic guitar being played by a flamenco master and the Bifrost 2/64 as like a Stratocaster being shredded by a rock guitarist. Gungnir MB is somewhere in between. YMMV.
Thanks. Really helpful analogy. Sliding that down the product line, would it be fair to say the Modi multibit 2 as like a Martin acoustic guitar, the Modius like a shredding stratocaster, and Modi+ somewhere between?

Jun 20, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #120,283 of 155,080
Thanks. Really helpful analogy. Sliding that down the product line, would it be fair to say the Modi multibit 2 as like a Martin acoustic guitar, the Modius like a shredding stratocaster, and Modi+ somewhere between?
Modi + would be like a Banjo. A Deering Maple Blossom 19-fret Tenor Banjo. :grinning:

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #120,284 of 155,080
I have no idea as I've never heard any of those. Check them out and see what you think!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back