Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 15, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #120,032 of 151,185
Jun 15, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #120,033 of 151,185
Giles Martin, too. His latest work: "Revolver" is great. Hoping for "Rubber Soul" next.
Yes indeed - I must add that a lot of 2022 and current recordings particularly from less mainstream acts seem to have got a handle on the compression levels ( yes some is necessary so you're not diving for the volume knob constantly )

Jun 15, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #120,035 of 151,185
Dilbert.gif

JC

Jun 15, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #120,037 of 151,185
Jun 15, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #120,038 of 151,185
I've often grumbled about the appalling standard of 'Final mastering ' of precious recordings , somehow the engineer feels compelled to destroy that wonderful music and it gets squished to death with heavy compression, all because ' its sounds good on a crappy MP3 player or Radio ' !!! Steven Wilson is excellent at un- squishing when he re- masters albums and frequently you end up hearing what the artist intended in the first place !!!:smirk:
I am reading Geoff Emerick's book about his time recording the Beatles at EMI in the late 1960s - Revolver, Sgt. Peppers, Abbey Road. The sound engineering and mastering were different functions / people, as they likely are still today. Geoff wrote that often the mastering added compression and volume to make a recording into the "house" sound. When they finished Sgt. Peppers, they realized it was so good that it didn't need any further massaging. He put a note on the tapes that said something like "please leave flat." That caused such an uproar at EMI that he thought he'd be fired. But, he wasn't fired, and was later able to resign on his own during recording of the White Album.

Jun 15, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #120,039 of 151,185
I have never really thought of or experienced a "house" sound with Schiit and many other products.
Blind testing here with several very high dollar amps against the OG JOT and the latest Jot I can find little or no differences.

When I go across topologies the differences can be greater but still all things being equal....no house sound here.

I think the house sound thing is more usable in a set of transducers from a vendor...
ie Sennheiser, Focal, Audeze etc...much more applicable IMO.

My gear and experience is at a level I can tell easily if source material is well recorded or not, compression there and at what magnitude.
Lots of compressed crap out there for sure.

Maybe more of a how the amp is output coupled or not and the filtering ?

End result is trust your ears and get the stuff that makes YOU smile.

:>)

Alex

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #120,040 of 151,185
I have never really thought f or experienced a "house" sound with Schiit and many other products.
Blind testing here with several very high dollar amps against the OG JOT and the latest Jot I can find little or no differences.

When I go across topologies the differences can be greater but still all things being equal....no house sound here.

I think the house sound thing is more usable in a set of transducers from a vendor...

My gear and experience is at a level I can tell easily if source material is well recorded or not, compression there and at what magnitude.

Alex
Agree on the transducers 100%. That's why I bought my LCD-4 cans - they got that Audez'e house bass. :)

Jun 15, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #120,041 of 151,185
I have never really thought f or experienced a "house" sound with Schiit and many other products.

Alex
I wonder if there is an output / input impendence mismatch causing the discussed compressed sound our friend is experiencing ? - my active Meridian speakers sound flat as heck if the tube buffer is off on my Saga amp and absolutely sing when its on ( no exaggeration ) , in a similar vein I had a musical fidelity X10d tube buffer years ago ( the funky barrel shaped one ) between the output of my Philips cd player and Audiolab amp and it significantly opened up the performance but did nada when i used a Pioneer cd/sacd/dvd uni player ?

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #120,042 of 151,185
okay I admit that I have not heard your Lyr+ and your new Folkvangr amp. As well as your Birforst2 and Ygg lim, A2.. But up to the Jot2 the compression is still there while all of my other brands cheaper amps have not. The magni3 and the Jot1 have it. The modi multibit v1 v2 modi 3 akm and the og Bifrost multibit have that compression effect too. Was they designed to sound that way? To my ears I hardly stand it. It is like singers just try the best to shout as loud as possible instead of singing. I dont know what is called sonic nirvana and if I do maybe I can’t afford it . But with some cheap audio devices I own now I can listen music for hours without feeling that loud effect.
PS: please don’t call me a Schiit hater because I bought and sold many its products. I am just fed up with the effort to find a Shiit MID TIER amps that have no irritation to my ears. Heck I feel the Piety sounds normal to some extent. Besides there are so many other popular brands nowadays. Maybe in the future I can regain my interest and go to try the new Lyr plus that is barely in my affordable range and I love its design.
No, there is no “house sound.” Pretty much impossible to design in compression unless you are deliberately using nonlinear devices that would not be used in any amp design, discrete or integrated.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 15, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #120,043 of 151,185
I would comment that the sound of the Schiit MB DAC technology is a "house" sound, in that it sounds quite better than other DACs I've heard. It uses Mike's proprietary filter and also unique (to the application) D/A converters. I know that, when I heard Gungnir was going away, I bought another one just in case.

Jun 15, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #120,044 of 151,185
okay I admit that I have not heard your Lyr+ and your new Folkvangr amp. As well as your Birforst2 and Ygg lim, A2.. But up to the Jot2 the compression is still there while all of my other brands cheaper amps have not. The magni3 and the Jot1 have it. The modi multibit v1 v2 modi 3 akm and the og Bifrost multibit have that compression effect too. Was they designed to sound that way? To my ears I hardly stand it. It is like singers just try the best to shout as loud as possible instead of singing. I dont know what is called sonic nirvana and if I do maybe I can’t afford it . But with some cheap audio devices I own now I can listen music for hours without feeling that loud effect.
PS: please don’t call me a Schiit hater because I bought and sold many its products. I am just fed up with the effort to find a Shiit MID TIER amps that have no irritation to my ears. Heck I feel the Piety sounds normal to some extent. Besides there are so many other popular brands nowadays. Maybe in the future I can regain my interest and go to try the new Lyr plus that is barely in my affordable range and I love its design.

These aren’t the amps you are looking for.

40A73779-1717-4FE7-B4F6-850B5CD00EDA.gif

Jun 15, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #120,045 of 151,185
Funny I finally read Jasons entire latest blurb..using 6 pin matched transistor packages (integrated ? ).
IMO to be fully discrete would mean ALL parts are individuals.
So even using packages with two transistors is really close to the purist definition of discrete its not.

Recently built a ACA + discrete amp from Pass (Nelsons Burning Amp Camp stuff).
In the DIY kit the included a set matched quad of Toshiba 2SJ74-GR JFETs.

A pain to hand select and match.

Using transistors in these 6 pin devices is easier to get things "matched" where its really needed.

Another good thing about having parts integrated in the same silicon.

That said I have noooo issue with using matched transistor packages and calling them discrete...
Splitting hairs here...but like Jason call me anal....

Fun to talk about....does it really matter??? Well. No.

Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back