Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 8, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #119,746 of 151,178
Oh wow I haven't heard that name in years. I lived in Breckenridge in the 70's and we'd go to Denver every other month or so and visit Casa Bonita while we were there. I wasn't a picky eater as a pre-teen so I don't have negative memories of the food. I did like the sopapillas, tho, but what kid doesn't.
I'm not familiar with Casa Bonita. Was it an analog of Pancho's here in Texas? Fond Pancho's memories of raising the little Mexican flag on our table to signal that it was time for the endless sopapillas! 🇲🇽 :D

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #119,747 of 151,178
RIP, George.

First Piano LP I ever bought was his December album, followed shortly by Winter into Spring in 1984.
Darn . I knew the name sounded familiar. I too have and enjoyed those albums. :frowning2:

Jun 8, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #119,748 of 151,178
Casa Bonita is known for it's very tropical environment including a small lagoon with a fake cliff and they actually had a cliff diver who would dive every 15-20 min IIRC.

Jun 8, 2023 at 9:02 AM Post #119,749 of 151,178
To move it in another completely random direction, does anybody who lives in Colorado plan on visiting the newly restored Casa Bonita restaurant now that the South Park guys brought it back from the dead? 😃
Absolutely, I grew up going to Casa Bonita in the 90s! It really is a fun place to take the family. My daughter (now 12 year old) always loved the indoor cliff diving, gorilla suit they had running around, and all the other fun stuff. We just had a new addition to the family (a boy!) and I'm glad we'll get to take him too. Its about the fun - Colorado natives usually understand, but transplants typically think we're weird.

I heard it was purchased but now need to look into their reopening plans! I'm just over by Green Mountain in Lakewood.

Jun 8, 2023 at 9:02 AM Post #119,750 of 151,178
Casa Bonita is known for it's very tropical environment including a small lagoon with a fake cliff and they actually had a cliff diver who would dive every 15-20 min IIRC.

LOL!!! A multi-faceted culinary adventure! I gotta go there sometime!! :D

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #119,752 of 151,178
As stupid as it might sound to some, but Yggy OG into Piety? Yum! ☺️👌

Yep! My Yggy OG feeds a Folkvangr and a Piety. It's fun to switch back and forth between them. I'm finding I tend to prefer the FV more for things like Jazz and vocal-driven music, and the Piety more for Rock and Metal.

Jun 8, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #119,753 of 151,178
To move the sine wave in a different direction - I tried watching the new Avatar tonight. God what an awful, hateful movie. I couldn't finish it. It just wasn't worth watching all the awful stuff to get to the end, which is just going to be more fighting. Loved the underwater stuff when they are learning and exploring but the rest just sucks. So much lost opportunity to do something special and instead he just produced another really bad and stupid movie. Just my opinion of course...
The first one was "Outer Space Pocahontas in Blue" but still viewable. It is difficult to be "original" these days.

Thank you for the heads up as now if I watch it I will be prepped. I will probably decide to watch "My Fair Lady" again and wait a few months before this one. Thanks again! :beerchug:

Jun 8, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #119,754 of 151,178
I remember going to Casa Bonita as a young kid. My grandparents lived just outside of Denver. Probably around 1980. I don’t recall the food but the cliff diver left an impression. But I do remember a saying my parents had about the place. “Casa Bonita, where the food is terrible but the prices are high.” Oh, good times.

Jun 8, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #119,756 of 151,178
Absolutely, I grew up going to Casa Bonita in the 90s! It really is a fun place to take the family. My daughter (now 12 year old) always loved the indoor cliff diving, gorilla suit they had running around, and all the other fun stuff. We just had a new addition to the family (a boy!) and I'm glad we'll get to take him too. Its about the fun - Colorado natives usually understand, but transplants typically think we're weird.

I heard it was purchased but now need to look into their reopening plans! I'm just over by Green Mountain in Lakewood.
Congrats on the new addition to the family!

Yeah I've been kind of obsessed ever since I read about the reopening. I'm almost tempted to use some airline miles for a Colorado trip 😂 Plus a certain Colorado-based audio company has opened their doors to the public again 🙂

Jun 8, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #119,758 of 151,178
To move it in another completely random direction, does anybody who lives in Colorado plan on visiting the newly restored Casa Bonita restaurant now that the South Park guys brought it back from the dead? 😃
It's by invite only right now, high demand. Food was always bad, they were just poorly run and unprepared for the pandemic. It's a fun place for kids, I went over 30 years ago and now looking forward to taking my boy.

Jun 8, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #119,760 of 151,178
Thanks! Rhiannon Giddens and Amethyst Kiah with Leyla McCalla and Allison Russell have been in a group together, Our Native Daughters, which I've been meaning to explore more. But this video is electric:

Another track from the same concert:

Allison Russell’s solo album, Outside Child, is pretty damn good too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back