Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 7, 2023 at 11:17 PM Post #119,731 of 150,824
Tonight's Syn-full song recommendation:

House Of The Rising Sun...... The Animals

Jun 7, 2023 at 11:23 PM Post #119,732 of 150,824
To move the sine wave in a different direction - I tried watching the new Avatar tonight. God what an awful, hateful movie. I couldn't finish it. It just wasn't worth watching all the awful stuff to get to the end, which is just going to be more fighting. Loved the underwater stuff when they are learning and exploring but the rest just sucks. So much lost opportunity to do something special and instead he just produced another really bad and stupid movie. Just my opinion of course...

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #119,733 of 150,824
Damn! That's quite a collection as well. I will have to move everything to a more consolidated setup eventually, but loving my space now. I work predominantly in a DAW so I'm not really running side to side to twist knobs haha. I tried doing the whole live-jam/DAWless stuff, and while it was fun I hated having to midi sync/run midi cables in addition to usb and TS/TRS cables everywhere, it was a mess. I'm more productive with making actual music on the computer anyway.

I've always pondered purging a couple synths and springing for the Moog One. Keep convincing myself it's better to have more variety in individual synths (and a little more fun). I also had an OB-6 Module and and a Matriarch and miss both dearly. Having 4 moog voices in paraphonic mode with that delay on the Matriarch was an incredible sound. Also miss the fizziness of the state-variable SEM filter on the OB, I'll pick up another of each some day.

Matrixbrute has always tempted me. Sounds crazy, and I have a thing for paraphonic synths, they are just so unique and the Brute series matrix mod routing is genius. I'd like to demo a Super 6 as well.

Synths have been my main hobby over the last several years which lead to the audio/headfi stuff. I did my fair share of buy/sell/trade to get where I am, (Minilogue xd, Prophet 6, OB-6, Pro-3, 2 Sub 37s, Behringer Poly D (this one was a flop), Matriarch, Summit, Hydrasynth, Polybrute, Prophet 10 and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few) Turns out when you sell one, you just end up missing it.

I had LCD-X for a long time which i used for mixing/mastering, but eventually just moved to working with HD6xx/650s for comfort/weight. They do the job just fine for me.

Yeah, I end up 95% of the time coming up with a great idea on one of the synths, and then recreating it in software and doing the full song in my DAW. I'm not exaggerating when I say out of all the songs I've done, 3 actually have any of these synths on them. It sounds super wasteful, but this is my hobby so I'm not exactly motivated by profit, and the sound ideas I explore aren't happening when I use software, so the interface is most important to me. Interface is actually how I choose a lot of my synths now - hence the Moogs - I think you can argue for them having the best interfaces in synth design, the Matrixbrute I feel is an absolute revolution/icon in synth interface, same goes for the Osmose. The Super6/OB6 are the opposite with pure old school interface but with very different sounds for each.

I've only sold on a few things, and not a lot is on the chopping block right now. I had a Prophet Rev2 as my first synth, but I sold it when I got the Moog One because it's pretty hard to justify having a pair of 5-octave polyphonic analog synths within 10 feet of each other, I just made sure to recreate my favorite Prophet sounds on the Moog before it went. I had an Akai force for a bit, the idea being to handle drums/sequencing, but I found that I prefer just using FL Studio since I can do more and do it faster.

I was a head-fi member for years before I touched music (I had my first Schiit stack for at least a year before I started). I would talk so much about how I'd do X or Y differently from this or that artist with my friends that one day one of them handed me a cracked copy of FL Studio and told me to shut up and do something. 8 years of musical flailing later I started buying synths (after going legit with all my software). I guess that's why I've taken more to the mixing/mastering side of things, my music is OK but my mixes and masters have been described as "if THX made EDM".

Jun 7, 2023 at 11:48 PM Post #119,734 of 150,824
I saw her last year and it was a great show. But the real reason I bought tickets was to see the opening band - Lake Street Dive!

I listened to a bunch of Brandi Carlisle before the show and thought it would be an ok show. But live she brings and entirely different energy level to her songs. Well worth seeing and she's also quite funny with her banter with the crowd.

But still finally having the opportunity to see Lake Street Dive and Rachael Price whom I've followed for many years topped the evening for my wife and I.
Brandi Carlile appeared to me (so to speak) on one of those business-card sized free song downloads they used to have weekly at Starbucks. The song in question was “Follow” from her first (eponymous) album. Since then, I’ve purchased every album she’s released. She makes songs that tell stories, which I search for, and with her songs, I‘ve found.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2023 at 11:54 PM Post #119,735 of 150,824
Yes, I like Brandi Carlisle also, but yes, Rachel Price is on another level altogether: one few singers reach. She's one of my three favorite female singers these days along with Rhiannon Giddens and Imelda May.

If you dig Rhiannon Giddens (and boy, do I, going back to the The Carolina Chocolate Drops) check out both Amythyst Kiah and Adia Victoria. Kiah’s “Wary + Strange” and Victoria’s “Southern Gothic” are among my favorites of the last couple of years, and seeing Kiah live recently was stunning. She can wail, and plays a mean blues rhythm guitar.

Found both of those records from the Bitter South’s year end music review, which always has some gems. Weirdly, picked up the vinyl of Kiah’s record at the show and the mix is totally different than the streaming mix. Hits WAY harder.

Jun 8, 2023 at 12:06 AM Post #119,736 of 150,824
To move the sine wave in a different direction - I tried watching the new Avatar tonight. God what an awful, hateful movie. I couldn't finish it. It just wasn't worth watching all the awful stuff to get to the end, which is just going to be more fighting. Loved the underwater stuff when they are learning and exploring but the rest just sucks. So much lost opportunity to do something special and instead he just produced another really bad and stupid movie. Just my opinion of course...
I respect your opinion.

I enjoyed it (tonight in fact!), but different strokes for different folks.

As an ex once said, "one person's trash 🗑️ is another's treasure".

Jun 8, 2023 at 12:24 AM Post #119,737 of 150,824
If you dig Rhiannon Giddens (and boy, do I, going back to the The Carolina Chocolate Drops) check out both Amythyst Kiah and Adia Victoria. Kiah’s “Wary + Strange” and Victoria’s “Southern Gothic” are among my favorites of the last couple of years, and seeing Kiah live recently was stunning. She can wail, and plays a mean blues rhythm guitar.

Found both of those records from the Bitter South’s year end music review, which always has some gems. Weirdly, picked up the vinyl of Kiah’s record at the show and the mix is totally different than the streaming mix. Hits WAY harder.
Thanks! Rhiannon Giddens and Amethyst Kiah with Leyla McCalla and Allison Russell have been in a group together, Our Native Daughters, which I've been meaning to explore more. But this video is electric:

Another track from the same concert:

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2023 at 12:42 AM Post #119,739 of 150,824
To move it in another completely random direction, does anybody who lives in Colorado plan on visiting the newly restored Casa Bonita restaurant now that the South Park guys brought it back from the dead? 😃

Nope, If a restaurant can't survive on its own merits I certainly won't visit it over a cartoon. Good food and good products speak for irhemselves, everything else needs a gimmick.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2023 at 12:50 AM Post #119,740 of 150,824
Nope, If a restaurant can't survive on its own merits I certainly won't visit it over a cartoon. Good food and good products speak for irhemselves, everything else needs a gimmick.
Part of why it failed was that the food sucked. They've totally redone the kitchen. In the process they discovered that originally all the food was steamed 😂 No wonder. They were also hit by covid, which was the nail in the coffin.

I've never been, but from what I understand it's kind of an institution and the community is really happy to have it back, with food that's actually edible. I think they said it will bring in like 500 jobs, and the new chef is pretty respected IIRC.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2023 at 1:07 AM Post #119,742 of 150,824
Since when?! 🤔

Innnnnteresting…

I've never heard an OG Jot myself. But I do own a Jot 2 — and have some … uhm … rather strong opinions about it.
Would be interesting to hear your thoughts if and when you get a chance to compare the two.

What can I say, any philosophers worth their salt have to have their footnotes.*

* Even if they just play one on the internet.
So, I have the Jotunheim OG, 2 and Piety.

I'm not going to lie, the Jot 2 has more detail and punch than the OG.... But I could never quite bring myself to sell the OG. I use it in my office with my LCD-2C that seem to pair well tho I do use the Audeze EQ preset in Roon. I feel the OG is a little warmer than the 2.

I was blown away by the Piety, love it and still don't quite know what to do with it, it's sitting with my Jot 2, Valhalla 2 hooked up to my Bifrost 2/64. It's not quite as good as the Jot 2, or the Valhalla with careful listening, but damn, if I only had this with my Arya Stealth, I could be content. I've not compared it to the OG directly, but suspect that is quite close.

Jun 8, 2023 at 4:42 AM Post #119,743 of 150,824
Very nice setup. I love the palm rest for your typing keyboard that matches the wood on the Prophet. As my studio comes together I find it's all those little things that are hard to really nail. In my case, close to 100 velcro cable ties and collectively probably 200-300 feet of cable manages to make this not look bad, but it isn't as inviting as your setup. My setup is more strictly funtional, though the custom cables on my headphones add a bit of personal flair.

And because it's a headphone forum, I'll call out that it's Audeze LCD-X with custom shorter cables for mixing and mastering. I find them too heavy to wear while standing and walking around playing the synths, so I keep the AKG Q701 and their long cord for that. The Sennheiser HD280s were my first headphone - the right channel doesn't work on them pretty regularly, the pads are getting worn out again, but I do still sanity check the occasional song on them, plus it lets me check true mono compatibility. Not pictured is the THXAAA 789 and Schiit Modius that I use with my laptop for mixing/mastering, the pictured interfaces are for jamming/recording only.IMG_0123.jpgIMG_0124.jpgIMG_0125.jpg
OMG - im in synth heaven !!

Jun 8, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #119,744 of 150,824
To move it in another completely random direction, does anybody who lives in Colorado plan on visiting the newly restored Casa Bonita restaurant now that the South Park guys brought it back from the dead? 😃
Oh wow I haven't heard that name in years. I lived in Breckenridge in the 70's and we'd go to Denver every other month or so and visit Casa Bonita while we were there. I wasn't a picky eater as a pre-teen so I don't have negative memories of the food. I did like the sopapillas, tho, but what kid doesn't.

Jun 8, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #119,745 of 150,824
Back sometime around '85 a girl I was dating turned me on to George Winston, a piantist. Great themed albums to relax to, and we did. We even went to see him at the Fox in Atlanta. I was working 2 jobs and was so damn tired I fell asleep a few songs in, abruptly waking up with her elbow in my ribs. The girlfriend didn't last but I always remembered his music. To the point I was thinking about him a few months ago and downloaded six of his songs.
George Winston died this past weekend and I've been listening to him on my headphone set-up tonight.
Here's to George, great music in headphones and memories of good times with past girlfriends. Cheers!
RIP, George.

First Piano LP I ever bought was his December album, followed shortly by Winter into Spring in 1984.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back