Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 22, 2023 at 10:14 PM Post #118,831 of 150,458
Most of mine have done that. The later CD Walkman models will stop the spindle motor and won't move the laser sled, and then will resume from where you stopped. I don't really have any use for a pause function that leaves the spindle motor spinning.
If the Urd Stop would resume from the Stop location maybe, but then if one wants to replay from track 1 the Stop does not do that, as is the norm with every player I have used…

May 22, 2023 at 10:22 PM Post #118,833 of 150,458
The universal function control of all media devices is: Play, Pause, Stop, FF, RW, SkipForward, SkipReverse (see attached photo). ...
IMG_8489.jpeg
Neither my kids (young adults) or my older sisters (definitely not young adults) seem to know that. It's one of those things that has made me lose my hair...

May 22, 2023 at 10:39 PM Post #118,834 of 150,458
All this talk of "Stop""pause" "Go back to track 1" is making my head hurt. As my mom used to tell me, "Stop, just stop."

May 22, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #118,835 of 150,458
I bought my first CD player in 1983 and I've never used pause. I also wouldn't miss FF/FR. People are different.

But yeah, I suspect it's there.
People buy sports cars and never use all the horsepower and torque that is available to them. For some, having all that HP is bragging rights. For the hard working and now well off nerds that get them in hopes of (finally) "getting the girl" because they have a "cool car"? I dunno..."Shagging Rights".

Exempli Gratia: Some here question VU Meters if you are not actually "recording". Pffft! I like the looks and since I grew up with said "looks" it is a part of my memories and memories, like it or not, are important to a great many people. You know the old saying that "familiarity breeds contempt"? Well the truth is that more often than not it breeds "COMFORT".

I use the "Random Play" function all the time. You don't? Fine. No skin off my nose. But I would not buy a CD player that lacked that function. A "live" recording I always play in order because it was recorded "LIVE". Otherwise, it just depends upon my mood and I do not need a "Mood Ring" :ksc75smile: to tell me what order I want to listen to my CDs in. I have a Sister-In-Law that listens to the same playlist in the same order every single day. Why? She likes it that way.

So you are correct. People are different. :beerchug:

May 22, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #118,837 of 150,458
Tonight's Syn-full song recommendation:

Kid Charlemagne..... Steely Dan

May 22, 2023 at 11:30 PM Post #118,838 of 150,458
Actually, I'm not sure. I don't use pause. I didn't check it. I've been working on other things and haven't gotten back into it. If there's a logical way to do it with firmware changes, I'm sure we'll do it. Heck, it might be there and I didn't notice.

There are tons of errors in those images already being cleaned up--like the remote doing FF and FR as well as skip, not covered at all.

The good news is that first article production boards for Urd came in today. The bad news is that they don't program. Which mean Dave needs to have a look at them. This isn't unusual for new, complex products. That's why they do first articles--to make sure they're right.
Yeah sorry, I should have been more clear. I was just saying I don’t expect there to be any new buttons added at this point. And yes, I’d imagine the play button can/will function as pause. I always pause but that’s because I use my cd player to learn or figure out songs on the guitar. I have been doing it like crazy this weekend because of the new Paul Simon album. Highly recommend! It is one of his greatest works.

May 22, 2023 at 11:34 PM Post #118,840 of 150,458
Now all we need to do is demand a "pitch" control

May 22, 2023 at 11:59 PM Post #118,841 of 150,458
May 23, 2023 at 2:15 AM Post #118,842 of 150,458
Sure the stop does that it's called hitting stop 2x lol hitting stop once enables to resume from stop point. Hitting stop again clears memory so it starts at track one. I can't remember a CD player without these settings which is the norm for any player I've used.
I've only owned 3 or 4 CD players in my life but none of them had that behavior. The only conclusion is that there is no "norm".

Last edited:
May 23, 2023 at 3:00 AM Post #118,843 of 150,458
My Denon micro system, my Cyrus CD transport, my Naim Uniti and their relevant remotes each have a shared play/pause button as well as a combined ffw/next track button. I cannot recall ever having a separate pause button on any CD player I’ve owned. The only devices with separate pause buttons are my two DVD players. One is an Oppo and the other a Sony. Even my BT TV box has a combined play/pause button.

May 23, 2023 at 3:09 AM Post #118,844 of 150,458
This comment in a forum where free for all is the post of the hour most of the time? :)

Ar least my observation is on topic, is it not? :)
Yes, it is. Part of a disturbing trend.

The Cardboard Overlords will not be pleased. Nor our Feline Overlords of the Purrfect Sine Wave.

Touch the paws button at your own peril. 🤣

The-King-Observes.jpg

May 23, 2023 at 4:07 AM Post #118,845 of 150,458
The universal function control of all media devices is: Play, Pause, Stop, FF, RW, SkipForward, SkipReverse (see attached photo). That is a long learned and accepted standard; a good standard. Deviating from that is not good, IMHO. Love your products but media player functionality should not deviate from the norm. Lack of a Pause function is a show stopper, for me at least.

IMG_8489.jpeg

Here are play and pause on one control, an industry standard. :scream:

cue_environmental_grande-3592741741.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back