Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 18, 2023 at 4:29 AM Post #118,636 of 150,463
Absolutely. Unfortunately, all you've mentioned (along with many other greats) have passed. :frowning2:

Let's also add Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa.
I was fortunate to see the Buddy Rich big band perform twice - the guy blew my mind !! ( I was around 17 yrs old at the time )

May 18, 2023 at 7:43 AM Post #118,638 of 150,463
I was fortunate to see the Buddy Rich big band perform twice - the guy blew my mind !! ( I was around 17 yrs old at the time )
Saw Buddy Rich and his band perform once as a young teen. I was absolutely gobsmacked!!

May 18, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #118,639 of 150,463
Hello all. I am looking for some advice regarding Tyr and preamp selection. I watched the review video of the Tyr and he mentioned that a Freya N held back the Tyr config. Anyone have another point of view? Current setup is Ls50 metas through a Rag 2 (nearfield) with sub. If I were to add the Tyrs to my setup, would the rag2 acting as a pre be better than a Freya N or +? Is this overkill? Thank you

May 18, 2023 at 8:25 AM Post #118,640 of 150,463
Hello all. I am looking for some advice regarding Tyr and preamp selection. I watched the review video of the Tyr and he mentioned that a Freya N held back the Tyr config. Anyone have another point of view? Current setup is Ls50 metas through a Rag 2 (nearfield) with sub. If I were to add the Tyrs to my setup, would the rag2 acting as a pre be better than a Freya N or +? Is this overkill? Thank you
In a near-field setup Tyrs are very much overkill. Not to mention they’re bulky, heavy and they add more cables into the mix.

On the other hand, I haven’t heard Ragnarok but I have a similarly powered integrated amp and there’s no question that Tyr provides a more muscular grip on the speakers. Their choke input power supply does add some dynamic pizazz that I haven’t heard in other lower cost amps.

Are you curious what Tyr would bring or are you feeling like something is missing from your current setting?

May 18, 2023 at 8:42 AM Post #118,641 of 150,463
Virgil Donati?
Nope, but Donati is quite good! I tried a number of searches to find the drummer I'm thinking off, but no luck. I do know he's highly regarded. I'll keep searching as it's bugging me. I watched a number of his performances about a year ago.

Last edited:
May 18, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #118,642 of 150,463
I've been playing drums for 48 years now. I literally cried when Buddy Rich died. He was a very important part of my early education and probably so to all drummers who take lessons.

May 18, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #118,643 of 150,463
In a near-field setup Tyrs are very much overkill. Not to mention they’re bulky, heavy and they add more cables into the mix.

On the other hand, I haven’t heard Ragnarok but I have a similarly powered integrated amp and there’s no question that Tyr provides a more muscular grip on the speakers. Their choke input power supply does add some dynamic pizazz that I haven’t heard in other lower cost amps.

Are you curious what Tyr would bring or are you feeling like something is missing from your current setting?
FWIW,
I'm driving Harbeth P3's nearfield with Tyrs and the combo is real nice.

May 18, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #118,644 of 150,463
Nope, but Doanti is quite good! I tried a number of searches to find the drummer I'm thinking off, but no luck. I do know he's highly regarded. I'll keep searching as it's bugging me. I watched a number of his performances about a year ago.
Steve Ferrone has been called a human metronome. He was the drummer for Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers after Stan lynch left the band.

May 18, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #118,645 of 150,463
This is for the cable-interested. I’m a mechanical engineer and a mild cable denier. I do value well made versus cheapest possible. I just doubt exotica. Anyway at work (I test big loud machines) a bunch of the electrical experts were screwing around with some ground issues. I asked if the cables were shielded and how were they grounded? One cable had two shields. One shield was grounded at both ends, the other was grounded at only one end. I forgot to ask which shield was inside the other. Also the ground in our test control room was two volts different than the ground at the machine. More info - we bring in commercially produced electricity at 60 cycles and chop it up into other frequencies and variable voltages. So I’m sure there is lots of noise. So if any of you are looking for a more complicated cable you might consider two shields. I am not in any way recommending this. Remember I’m a doubter.

May 18, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #118,646 of 150,463
At least for early records, like Cosmic Hippo, Futureman provided the "percussion" for Bela Fleck, with his synth-ax drummitar.
Right you are ... I listened to their early studio albums yesterday, and his e-drums sounded quite good. Still, not as crisp as real drums, my only slam on the Flecktones.

Thanks for the fun drummer discussion. As for old jazz drummers, don't forget Art Blakey. And, for modern ones, how about Marcus Gilmore ... grandson of the legend Roy Haynes. Agree 100% about Vinnie Colaiuta - he's great, and he seems to be everywhere. Check out Jeff Beck's "Live at Ronnie Scott's." One of the fastest drummers ever is Billy Cobham - he could lead with either hand. I think jazz drumming is more difficult because it requires more controlled strikes, and doing a controlled roll softly is tougher than a loud one. Would like to get weigh-in from our drummer friend @emorrison33 on those comments. :)

Last edited:
May 18, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #118,647 of 150,463
Right you are ... I listened to their early studio albums yesterday, and his e-drums sounded quite good. Still, not as crisp as real drums, my only slam on the Flecktones.

Thanks for the fun drummer discussion. As for old jazz drummers, don't forget Art Blakey. And, for modern ones, how about Marcus Gilmore ... grandson of the legend Roy Haynes. Agree 100% about Vinnie Colaiuta - he's great, and he seems to be everywhere. Check out Jeff Beck's "Live at Ronnie Scott's." One of the fastest drummers ever is Billy Cobham - he could lead with either hand. I think jazz drumming is more difficult because it requires more controlled strikes, and doing a controlled roll softly is tougher than a loud one. Would like to get weigh-in from our drummer friend @emorrison33 on those comments. :)
Love Art Blakey. Just outstanding all around, even with his tuning, which we have discussed before. Stick control is an early part of a drummers education, so leading with either hand just becomes second nature, although depending on what you are trying to do, you have to think about which hand your starting with and what hand your finishing with (i.e. does your fill end with a crash? If your crash cymbal is on the right hand side of your set, then end the fill, roll, etc. with the left hand to use your right hand for the crash). Jazz is tough to play because of the dynamics you mention. Drums isn't all about banging away on the skins. One of my favorite drummers is John Bonham becasue he can play with such power, but he's also very intricate...even delicate in his playing, with power. He hits those skins just right to make the most power, but he's not doing it at a break the skin kind of force, if that makes sense. It is harder to do a soft roll than a loud one. You are using the bounce of the stick from the skin to "control" that roll. Beginner's have difficulty with that, but practice makes perfect!

May 18, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #118,650 of 150,463
I've been playing drums for 48 years now. I literally cried when Buddy Rich died. He was a very important part of my early education and probably so to all drummers who take lessons.
I remember when he was a guest on Parkinson ( UK chat show ) in the eighties - the section with Roy Castle and Sammy Davis Jnr - - its sheer joy to watch and on You Tube

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back