Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 13, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #118,336 of 155,137
Several years ago, when Siri was kind of new, my brother-in-law and his wife asked a bunch of random questions just to see what would happen. After a while, that got boring, so b-i-l cursed at Siri. Siri replied something like, "<b-i-l's name?! I'm shocked, I would never speak to you that way." We were kind of impressed. Of course, that's too vanilla for a Schiit-bot, a bit of return fire snarkiness is what we all expect (and will applaud).
I can remember the early days of Siri when you could ask where to hide a dead body and it would answer with “a quarry” and such. They fixed that rather quickly.😁

May 13, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #118,337 of 155,137
Is Mjolnir 3 going to look any better than the previous two generations. Yes, I know that looks are subjective and I also know that it will never be totally toadish, i.e., VU Meters. But perhaps something will be done by the Schiit All-Father (aka: Sir Jason of Stoddard) to improve it's visual presentation because reality is I will see it far more than just listen to music through it.

Think "Maschinenmensch" as in the film "Metropolis". Art Deco come to life. For those that claim to not care about looks in audio equipment or any thing? *SNICKER* :beerchug:

May 13, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #118,338 of 155,137
Is Mjolnir 3 going to look any better than the previous two generations. Yes, I know that looks are subjective and I also know that it will never be totally toadish, i.e., VU Meters. But perhaps something will be done by the Schiit All-Father (aka: Sir Jason of Stoddard) to improve it's visual presentation because reality is I will see it far more than just listen to music through it.

This was the last prototype. Probably some slight differences in the final production version though. :laughing:

1683997035814.png

May 13, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #118,339 of 155,137
I’m in the camp of liking how the previous Mjolnirs looked. I do hope it keeps the same chassis size, regardless of how it looks.

May 13, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #118,340 of 155,137
I've been trying to correct SchiitTalker, like so:

Jotenheim 2 has what kind of volume control?

Answer:
Well howdy there! The Jotunheim 2 features a fully discrete, motorized, relay-switched stepped attenuator for volume control. This type of volume control provides precise and accurate channel matching, as well as low distortion and noise. The motorized potentiometer can be controlled either by the front panel knob or by the included remote control, and it changes smoothly and silently to match the selected volume level. This means you can adjust the volume to your desired level without any pops, clicks, or other unwanted noise. If you have any further questions or concerns, I'm happy to help!

To which I replied:

That is incorrect. The Jotenheim 2 doesn't use a relay-switched stepped attenuator, it uses an Alps RK27114 potentiometer.

Answer:
Oh, my apologies pardner! I must have gotten my wires crossed there. You are absolutely right that the Jotunheim 2 does not use a relay-switched stepped attenuator, but instead features a high-quality Alps RK27114 potentiometer for volume control. This potentiometer is known for its smooth and precise tracking, and is the same one used in Schiit's higher-end Jotunheim and Jotunheim R amplifiers. I hope this clears up any confusion, and please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

So, I asked again:
Jotenheim 2 has what kind of volume control?

Answer:
Howdy there, partner! The Jotunheim 2 features a high-quality Alps RK27114 potentiometer for volume control. This potentiometer is known for its smooth and precise tracking, and is the same one used in Schiit's higher-end Jotunheim and Jotunheim R amplifiers. I hope this answers your question, and please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

How about that?! I'm wondering if human intervention was involved to make this change.

Question:
Thank you for your answer regarding the Jotenheim volume control, it is now correct. Was human intervention involved, or did you learn by yourself?

Answer:
Well howdy there, partner! I'm glad to hear that my answer was correct this time around. As an AI language model, I don't have the ability to learn on my own, but I do rely on the information that's been programmed into me to provide accurate responses. In this case, it seems that my initial response was incorrect, but I was able to correct it thanks to your feedback. I'm always happy to learn and improve, so please don't hesitate to let me know if you spot any other errors or inaccuracies in my responses. Thanks for chatting with me!
When I read this I thought ChatGPT is much more patient than I would be as a support person. But... it doesn't have to be!

1683998082693.png

7lnpjn.jpg

May 13, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #118,341 of 155,137
Unlearning is the best way to put it. What I have come to realize is that it seems to subjective to the size of your room.

After using the Gjallerhorns, I think it goes something more like this:

More "room" = likely need for more watts to reach a desired volume with the same set of speakers; therefore more watts = better sound

It is just clicking in my head that this is probably why we use the word "volume" and not "level" when talking about reproduction of sound (and we use "level" when recording and mixing)

How many watts are needed to get these speakers to sound their best in the room in which they will be listened to? Then, what amp is best suited to handle that workload that also sounds the way you want it to sound.
Nail. Head. I have a pretty large space (there’s a 9’ pool table in the middle), with a 10’ ceiling. GJ does a great job making this space sound amazing. And when I stick it outside with my $60 home depot DIY speakers (wife thinks they’re an eyesore - wonder what that’s all about?), it’s equally good (for the great outdoors). Amazing piece of kit, this is…

May 13, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #118,342 of 155,137
Seems reasonable but how old is current Ragnarok 2 and might depend on how much time is left until there's a Ragnarok 3. (or maybe an additional 'input' on a future Ragnarok 3)
A toslink card in lieu of phono might mean the toslink to be a daughter card to the DAC card, which might mean a new DAC card. If you were going to do a new DAC card, you'd probably want to consolidate on just one card and keep your phono option. So maybe the question is, does Schiit want to do a new DAC card w/toslink for the Ragnarok?
[edit] Current Ragnarok 2 ~4 yrs. old

I got a schiit email advertising the Ragnarok 2 and I thought they released a new version. Almost swallowed my tongue. Schiit emails are pretty far and few between and mostly for new product announcements. Did anyone else get this email?

May 13, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #118,343 of 155,137

Think "Maschinenmensch" as in the film "Metropolis". Art Deco come to life. For those that claim to not care about looks in audio equipment or any thing? *SNICKER* :beerchug:

Not to step on toes or be disrespectful, I know this is kind of your hang out thread. However there is tons of other gear out there that looks more like what you prefer. Schiit seems to not bother with cosmetic or eye candy type things to deliver the best cost/performance ratio around. All these things you prefer would just make devices more expensive without really adding anything. I love and prefer the way all their gear looks over most other manufacturers available and I for one hope it doesn't change.

May 13, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #118,344 of 155,137
Not to step on toes or be disrespectful, I know this is kind of your hang out thread. However there is tons of other gear out there that looks more like what you prefer. Schiit seems to not bother with cosmetic or eye candy type things to deliver the best cost/performance ratio around. All these things you prefer would just make devices more expensive without really adding anything. I love and prefer the way all their gear looks over most other manufacturers available and I for one hope it doesn't change.
That is okay and you are far from being disrespectful, my friend. I do not think that with economy of scale making some thing better looking would result in pricing it out of range to normal folk but you could be correct. I neither "love" nor "loathe" the way their stuff looks. To me it looks like "Schiit" and that is what Mr. Jason intends. Schiit is familial in looks. That is good because it breeds comfort not contempt. Buying equipment from Schiit ensures compatibility in performance and looks as opposed to dating a close relative which nigh on guarantees weirdness. :ksc75smile:

And no. Looking like "Schiit" is not the same as looking like "crap". But neither does anything "Schiit" look like it belongs in the film "Metropolis" or in my home. I buy Schiit to give to loved ones and no longer for my self so it is not as if I have never nor will ever again be a customer. I have been and hope to be again! HUZZAH!

And fear not, my friend . I have a sense of humor. Because my mom long ago taught me that...
...Those that lack a sense of humor more often than not display a sense of entitlement. :beerchug:

Don QuixORTe' :ksc75smile:

May 13, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #118,345 of 155,137
I got a schiit email advertising the Ragnarok 2 and I thought they released a new version. Almost swallowed my tongue. Schiit emails are pretty far and few between and mostly for new product announcements. Did anyone else get this email?
Yeah, I got one and thought the same thing. It looks like it was just one of those very rare "Spam" e-mails...maybe Schiit was checking to see if all the email addresses in the system were still valid.
Cheers!:beerchug:
-HK sends

PS - Or maybe SchiitTalker is starting to secretly reach out beyond the borders of its programming. Possibly testing the waters before...*

Last edited:
May 13, 2023 at 3:19 PM Post #118,346 of 155,137
Several years ago, when Siri was kind of new, my brother-in-law and his wife asked a bunch of random questions just to see what would happen. After a while, that got boring, so b-i-l cursed at Siri. Siri replied something like, "<b-i-l's name?! I'm shocked, I would never speak to you that way." We were kind of impressed. Of course, that's too vanilla for a Schiit-bot, a bit of return fire snarkiness is what we all expect (and will applaud).
If the Schiit-bot were truly intelligent and diabolical, if you were to insult it, it would find a way to stream the Butthole Surfers to every electronic device you'll ever turn on for the rest of your life. Oh, and also to your spouse, children, and octogenarian parents as well. Until you're all like

Last edited:
May 13, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #118,347 of 155,137
That is okay and you are far from being disrespectful, my friend. I do not think that with economy of scale making some thing better looking would result in pricing it out of range to normal folk but you could be correct. I neither "love" nor "loathe" the way their stuff looks. To me it looks like "Schiit" and that is what Mr. Jason intends. Schiit is familial in looks. That is good because it breeds comfort not contempt. Buying equipment from Schiit ensures compatibility in performance and looks as opposed to dating a close relative which nigh on guarantees weirdness. :ksc75smile:

And no. Looking like "Schiit" is not the same as looking like "crap". But neither does anything "Schiit" look like it belongs in the film "Metropolis" or in my home. I buy Schiit to give to loved ones and no longer for my self so it is not as if I have never nor will ever again be a customer. I have been and hope to be again! HUZZAH!

And fear not, my friend . I have a sense of humor. Because my mom long ago taught me that...
...Those that lack a sense of humor more often than not display a sense of entitlement. :beerchug:

Don QuixORTe' :ksc75smile:
Not to be disrespectful either but I much prefer the clean, no nonsense, form follows function of @Jason Stoddard design.

May 13, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #118,348 of 155,137
OK. So I got this CRAZY idea after having to remove the top cover on Freya N to retrieve a stray tube adapter...

Could I buy a Freya + top cover for use with N? The larger 6SN7 openings would allow for easier extraction and use of my Deyan adapters. Anyone know if the top covers are identical except for silk screen and size of the tube openings? And if so, do the openings line-up with the tube sockets?

I know. CRAZY!

What do you say, @Jason Stoddard ?

Last edited:
May 13, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #118,349 of 155,137
If the Schiit-bot were truly intelligent and diabolical, if you were to insult it, it would find a way to stream the Butthole Surfers to every electronic device you'll ever turn on for the rest of your life. Oh, and also to your spouse, children, and octogenarian parents as well. Until you're all like

But I like Butthole Surfers...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back