Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 11, 2023 at 12:57 AM Post #118,291 of 155,069
Wouldn't a Jotunheim work? It's the correct form factor, with SE and balanced inputs and outputs, plus you can add a DAC or phono card too.

https://www.schiit.com/products/jotunheim-1

Good luck.
Thanks for all the replies. Jotunheim sounds like the perfect solution for me as I only have two sources anyway. Since I don't do headphones, I always thought of it as a headphone amp. It never occurred to me to look at it as a balanced preamp. Inspired by @MoveStonks's setup, now I can't stop thinking about the many different ways schiit components can be combined. Fun stuff.

May 11, 2023 at 3:08 AM Post #118,292 of 155,069
Thanks for all the replies. Jotunheim sounds like the perfect solution for me as I only have two sources anyway. Since I don't do headphones, I always thought of it as a headphone amp. It never occurred to me to look at it as a balanced preamp. Inspired by @MoveStonks's setup, now I can't stop thinking about the many different ways schiit components can be combined. Fun stuff.
I use Jotunheim to drive mono Aegirs, it sounds fantastic... also a pretty darned good HP amp with my Senn HD6xx.

May 11, 2023 at 3:41 AM Post #118,293 of 155,069
Hope someone can set me straight on this please. I'm considering two gjallarhorns in a mono block setup. I understand that they need to be fed true balanced signals like a Freya. Since the Lokius has both single ended and balanced input and output, would Saga+ -->Lokius-->two gjallarhorns work? I'm not clear on what the Lokius is doing to the signals prior to outputting. Thanks.
Lokius, when set to process mode (not bypass mode with SE input), will have both XLR output phases active to properly drive a pair of mono gjallarhorns.

Have verified this using BF1 rca input to lokius in active mode and looked at xlr output signals with DMM.

May 11, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #118,294 of 155,069
Jason always has something awesome that is coming out that makes me have to rethink the whole setup too... curse of the latest and greatest.

Can't wait to figure out how to make the Urd work aesthetically; let me know if you come across any other interesting racks/gear to stack things!

May 11, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #118,295 of 155,069

Jotunheim is a Nexus preamp like the Freya S. Plus, it adds Continuity S and it uses an Alps RK27114 potentiometer. A very nice volume pot, that should make for a very nice sounding preamp.

Last edited:
May 11, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #118,296 of 155,069
Jotunheim is a Nexus preamp like the Freya S. Plus, it adds Continuity S and it uses an Alps RK27114 potentiometer. A very nice volume pot, that should make for a very nice sounding preamp.
Mine is an OG Jot, but it's dead silent at any volume level I've used it at... amazing bang for the buck.

May 11, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #118,297 of 155,069
May 11, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #118,298 of 155,069
Mine is an OG Jot, but it's dead silent at any volume level I've used it at... amazing bang for the buck.
OG Jot for me, too. Running dual Vidars. I also run both balanced and SE from my BF2 to the Jot. The SE path has a Loki Mini between them.

Last edited:
May 11, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #118,299 of 155,069
Tonight's Syn-full song recommendation:

Love the One You're With...... Crosby, Stills and Nash
One of my favorites, even in 2.0.

May 11, 2023 at 9:50 PM Post #118,300 of 155,069
I run the lokius into a Jotunheim and then into 2x Gjallerhorn's

Bifrost (XLR) & Syn (RCA) => Lokius => XLR to Jotunheim and RCA to Valhalla (and then to the SE input on Jotunheim).

That gives you both Balanced and SE out to your G-horns. Or, Balanced to your G-horns and SE to small sub.

Essentially, I treat it kind of like a "desktop-sized Freya+ proxy".... and I love it.
This is a really neat setup. When you are using the Valhalla signal path, how do you control the volume since there are two gain controls? Thanks.

Last edited:
May 11, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #118,301 of 155,069
I haven't had the time to enjoy an entire album on my main two channel system in about a month.
Such blasphemy, I know.
So, what better release to get those tubes warmed up for and to get back into the groove of things than this little gem right here?

image.jpg

And for those of you who understand at least some German, go and have a look into a little project called Jazzkantine.
Feel free to ignore Futter für die Seele (2008), though, or anything else that came after. Their fare became a bit too produced and polished for my palate by the time the late aughts rolled around.
Their early menu, though, especially the stuff they dished out in the '90s?
Yum!

Last edited:
May 11, 2023 at 11:09 PM Post #118,302 of 155,069
This is a really neat setup. When you are using the Valhalla signal path, how do you control the volume since there are two gain controls? Thanks.
I keep the Jotunheim at 12:00 (and the gain up), and then turn the pot on the Valhalla up from zero to where I want it. sometimes a little balancing between the two, but I try not to touch the Jotunheim.

When I use the Syn, its typically for games/youtube, so I don't need to EQ the signal: I engage the bypass on the Loki. That gives the ability to run both the Syn and Valhalla to the Jotunheim SE input (keeping the Balanced in dedicated to the Bifrost-Loki XLR) with still only having 2 volume knobs in the signal path... and also the ability to run the Loki between the bifrost and the preamps for music.

Using a Freya - I would actually run the Freya Balanced direct to Jotunheim and SE to Syn to Jotunheim... Keep the Jotunheim at 12:00, then dial in the Syn to the levels you want (for when you want surround), and then do ALL volume control using the Freya. Then you get both types of gain stages, ability to EQ the full signal, and the ability to turn on and off surround whenever you want (and mix the front channels or not). The Freya+ gives you full access, but at the cost of desktop space...

I am sure I painted a crystal clear picture there... lolz

May 11, 2023 at 11:29 PM Post #118,303 of 155,069
I haven't had the time to enjoy an entire album on my main two channel system in about a month.
Such blasphemy, I know.
So, what better release to get those tubes warmed up for and to get back into the groove of things than this little gem right here?

image.jpg

And for those of you who understand at least some German, go and have a look into a little project called Jazzkantine.
Feel free to ignore Futter für die Seele (2008), though, or anything else that came after. Their fare became a bit too produced and polished for my palate by the time the late aughts rolled around.
Their early menu, though, especially the stuff they dished out in the '90s?
Yum!

This is as close as I will ever get, from the Bugs and Elmer's Magnum Dopus, their pas de duex is truly an e'tude de ballet.
"What's Opera Doc?"

"Oh, Bwoonhilda, you're so wovely."

"Yes, I know it, I can't help it."

"Oh, Bwoonhilda, be my wove!"

May 11, 2023 at 11:32 PM Post #118,304 of 155,069
IMG_4381.jpeg
I just want to show some more love for Gjallerhorn. I set up a temporary rig with Modi MB2, SYS, and Gjallerhorn driving my 91dB X-Statiks. This sounds better than it has any right too. I’m really impressed with this little amp. If you don’t mind the lack of remote control this is a sweet little combo for only $650.

May 11, 2023 at 11:39 PM Post #118,305 of 155,069
Tonight's Syn-full song recommendation:

Calypso........Robert Randolph

Users who are viewing this thread

Back