Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 10, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #118,261 of 155,080
I'm calling BS

Ah, Jason Stoddard, one of the founders of Schiit Audio. Let me tell you a little story about him.
One day, Jason was working on a new product design when he realized he needed a specific component that was only available in Japan. Without hesitation, he hopped on a plane and flew to Japan to get the component himself.
When he arrived in Japan, he realized that he didn't speak a word of Japanese and had no idea where to find the component he needed. Undeterred, he spent the next few days wandering around Tokyo, asking locals for help and exploring the city.
Finally, after several days of searching, he found the component he needed and was able to bring it back to the Schiit Audio lab to finish the product design.
That's just the kind of dedication and determination that Jason brings to his work at Schiit Audio. He's always willing to go the extra mile to make sure that our products are the best they can be.
Did you ask for a story? Or a true story?

May 10, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #118,262 of 155,080
Maybe I woke up grumpy this week, but I'm hoping that AI as a forum topic will be short lived.

May 10, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #118,263 of 155,080
Hope someone can set me straight on this please. I'm considering two gjallarhorns in a mono block setup. I understand that they need to be fed true balanced signals like a Freya. Since the Lokius has both single ended and balanced input and output, would Saga+ -->Lokius-->two gjallarhorns work? I'm not clear on what the Lokius is doing to the signals prior to outputting. Thanks.

May 10, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #118,265 of 155,080
Hope someone can set me straight on this please. I'm considering two gjallarhorns in a mono block setup. I understand that they need to be fed true balanced signals like a Freya. Since the Lokius has both single ended and balanced input and output, would Saga+ -->Lokius-->two gjallarhorns work? I'm not clear on what the Lokius is doing to the signals prior to outputting. Thanks.
There's a bunch of word salad over here: https://www.schiit.com/products/lokius (in the FAQ section)

Even more tech. Is this thing really balanced?
It’s balanced and differential in and out, uses both phases in, and provides both differential phases out. However, EQ processing is done with a single-ended buffer and gain stage.

Why not “real balanced?”
Because the product would be twice the size, twice the heat, and maybe even more than twice the cost. We decided to put the money into a discrete dual-stage load-invariant superbuffer driving a discrete current-feedback gain stage, as well as custom inductors and quality capacitors, rather than trying to chase balanced-for-balanced-sake. If it makes you feel better, use the SE input and run the SE output into any of our Nexus™ products for a perfect SE-to-balanced conversion with an all-discrete stage; but, better yet, have a listen and decide if you like what it does, rather than worrying about technical minutiae.

So seems not to be "true balanced" ...

Last edited:
May 10, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #118,266 of 155,080
Maybe I woke up grumpy this week, but I'm hoping that AI as a forum topic will be short lived.
Here, have a cat & records pic:
20230430_122855.jpg

May 10, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #118,268 of 155,080
It looks like your cat is very judgemental about your musical taste. :sweat_smile:

PS: What gear is the one above the Yggdrasil?
Oh yeah, she's very judgemental in general.

It's an Anthem surround processor. I run optical from my sony bravia smart tv to it. No hdmi involved. For some streaming services I get 5.1 decoding, for others I just use Dolby PLII. It's seamless. No fuss, no muss. Set it and forget it.

May 10, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #118,269 of 155,080
Sounds like you might need a Freya N. There are a bunch still available on the B stock page 🤔

May 10, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #118,271 of 155,080
If one's curious about the history of CD players, consider this mini-series (he was the provider that finally convinced me ~1W amps are plently fine for dudes like me)...

May 10, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #118,273 of 155,080
May 10, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #118,274 of 155,080
Yea, was just hoping that I could have all same form factor.
I run the lokius into a Jotunheim and then into 2x Gjallerhorn's

Bifrost (XLR) & Syn (RCA) => Lokius => XLR to Jotunheim and RCA to Valhalla (and then to the SE input on Jotunheim).

That gives you both Balanced and SE out to your G-horns. Or, Balanced to your G-horns and SE to small sub.

Essentially, I treat it kind of like a "desktop-sized Freya+ proxy".... and I love it.

Attachments

• SchiitStack.jpg
    SchiitStack.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 10, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #118,275 of 155,080
I run the lokius into a Jotunheim and then into 2x Gjallerhorn's

Bifrost (XLR) & Syn (RCA) => Lokius => XLR to Jotunheim and RCA to Valhalla (and then to the SE input on Jotunheim).

That gives you both Balanced and SE out to your G-horns. Or, Balanced to your G-horns and SE to small sub.

Essentially, I treat it kind of like a "desktop-sized Freya+ proxy".... and I love it.
Isn’t this setup slightly bigger form factor than a Freya ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back