Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 28, 2023 at 12:34 AM Post #117,452 of 150,825
Apr 28, 2023 at 12:37 AM Post #117,453 of 150,825

Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 12.35.30.png

Apr 28, 2023 at 1:00 AM Post #117,454 of 150,825
Apr 28, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #117,455 of 150,825
That pairs of speakers is cute, is that a DIY or from a brand?

It looks like custom and Jason cannot recall the details but Melinda(?) has some details according to the video. @Currawong mentioned in the chat that it might be mentioned in this thread hence I asked. It may be mentioned in this thread but buried somewhere in this huge thread.

Apr 28, 2023 at 5:43 AM Post #117,457 of 150,825
It looks like custom and Jason cannot recall the details but Melinda(?) has some details according to the video. @Currawong mentioned in the chat that it might be mentioned in this thread hence I asked. It may be mentioned in this thread but buried somewhere in this huge thread.
Oh... that'll be easy to find... there's not even 120,000 posts yet. 🤣

Apr 28, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #117,459 of 150,825
You're feeding it DSD/DSF files??
You'll have to ask Schiit directly but I'm pretty sure Syn's DAC doesn't decode DSD/DSF.
None of Schiit's products, other than the discontinued Loki DAC, natively support DSD.
(Don't confuse the Loki DAC with the Loki family of equalizers (this is on you, @Jason Stoddard )) :)
Sorry to confuse, Jriver will convert DSD to either 352 or 176khz. The point is I can send 352 or 384 to the Syn if the Windows USB subsystem will allow it. I keep asking why Windows doesn't see the Syn as a 384Khz capable device.

Apr 28, 2023 at 8:52 AM Post #117,460 of 150,825
Last edited:
Apr 28, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #117,461 of 150,825
Apr 28, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #117,462 of 150,825
Hey all,

So the blind comparison was a bust last night.

Here's why: friggin HDMI/smart TV inconsistencies, with a side of complex/non-communicative UIs. I was so frustrated with the AVR we used that I almost turned it into an "Office Space the AVR" event, with a side of Syn listening.

It's kind of a perfect ending, in a way. I said we did Syn at least in part as a reaction to the complexity of current surround products. And what we experienced illustrates this perfectly. I figured we would have an interesting time getting a Smart TV to output both a 2-channel optical to Syn and 5-channel HDMI surround to the AVR, so I tried it the day before in the "surround lab" in Valencia. After some fiddling and cursing, it worked fine on the Vizio TV we had there. I let David know the good news.

convo.png

And yeah, he called it. Famous last words. Because unlike the Vizio, the LG wouldn't output both formats simultaneously.

I'd planned for that, though--we brought HDMI de-embedders (which, when switched to 2-channel, prevented the AVR from receiving the proper surround format), we brought an AppleTV (which didn't help), we experimented with eARC vs non-eARC, with the AppleTV into the AVR and TV and then eARCing out to a de-embedder, nope, we tried an optical splitter, but of course Syn needs 2-channel and the AVR needs surround, and I did want to give the AVR a fair shake, using native formats and even running the room correction (even though it was a bit inconsistent and weird in the Schiit surround room).

So, in the end, yeah, a bust. We listened to Syn a bit and that was it.

However, now that we know what we know, we'll try this again, most likely in June. This time we'll use the Vizio TV that works correctly, and we'll have a custom switching arrangement on the speaker end that will allow us to change instantly back and forth. Level-matching will be acoustic at the listening position. And we'll give this another go!

All the best,
Jason

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back