Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 27, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #117,421 of 150,481
Yep, just an unfinished Gjallarhorn top. Nothing special on the desk at the moment.
That can be a nice version: Gjallarhorn Raw - like Solid Steel makes now a raw version of their stands.

Apr 27, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #117,423 of 150,481
Well, as long as it's not permanent. :wink:

Apr 27, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #117,424 of 150,481
Yep, we have a 1300cfm direct vent hood over the range that does the business. :) However, I've recently found I prefer searing proteins in the pizza oven. The Cast iron skillet gets WAY hotter in there than I can get it on the stove--"hot pads" are utterly useless, and a good welding glove only lets me grab the handle for about 4 seconds before the burn starts to set in.
I have an outdoor TEC grill that is infrared and sears at 950 degrees it keeps the smoke outside and lets the neighbors know what I am cooking.

Apr 27, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #117,425 of 150,481
pedant-conference.jpg

JC

Apr 27, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #117,428 of 150,481
Be careful. Simultaneous sensory input of Yanni and Golf** could result in one entering a permanent vegetative** state. :smiley:
** better than being in the woods !! 🤣🤣🤣

Apr 27, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #117,430 of 150,481
Rally is quite awesome, sadly much like MotoGP it's even harder to find on TV here in the states.

I almost went to the Isle of Man TT 15 or so years ago, but had some family stuff come up that kept me from being able to go. :frowning2:

I'll never forget the first time I experienced a Top Fuel dragster going down the track, it was jaw dropping! Pro Stock is probably my favorite class, and I'm actually lucky enough to have worked on one for a couple of years, however standing on the starting line between 2 Top Fuel as they leave the line is an awe inspiring experience! It's amazing how desensitized to stuff you can get over the years though, I've actually fallen asleep in the stands (more than once, SOBER) and stayed asleep while they were going down the track ROFL. The reverberation you feel throughout your whole body is just comforting to me.
I actually prefer to watch top fuel on TV: I love the slow-motion replays of the launch when you get to see those huge rear tires go egg-shaped.

That's twice you've mentioned Danny Gatton. I guess I'm going to have to listen to 88 Elmira St. tonight.

My favorite Gatton clip is here. Skip to about 4:00 to watch him play slide guitar with a full, open bottle of beer. The man was brilliant and died way too young.

I was introduced to Danny Gatton by a record store owner when I was in college. He sold me a copy of 88 Elmira St. A little later, Gatton released Cruisin' Deuces, which is good, but I prefer 88 Elmira St. I guess you always remember your first love. I've also got an album called Red Neck Jazz which has some amazing guitar work. I think Joey DeFrancesco also plays on that album. There may be other Danny Gatton releases, but those are the albums I have. I saw him once, in a small club (Pat & Pete's Bon Ton Room). If anyone were to tell me even NHRA top fuel cars are louder than that show I'd have a hard time believing it. The sax player especially was ear splitting. Danny Gatton was gone the next year, and the Bon Ton Room followed shortly after. Sigh

A couple funny stories about Paul, the record store owner (I apologize if I've posted these before...). One afternoon when I was browsing after class, he asked me to come over to the counter where he showed me a cancelled check from a customer the previous month. The check wasn't made out to University Records, it was made out to the screw You Paul Society. And it had cleared. During finals my senior year a friend of mine and I had walked up the street to one of the campus-town bars for a quick beer after we'd finished studying for the night. We left the bar at 11:00pm or so. When we got to University Records we heard the stereo inside blaring. I peered through the window and there was Paul jamming. I pounded on the window and he eventually let us in. I think I had to wait for the song to end so he could hear me knocking (Rolling Stones). My buddy and I spent the next two hours raiding Paul's stock and listening to all kinds of stuff. Still managed to do fairly we on the next day's final and graduated.

What happened to listening to Yanni? 🤪🤫🥱
If you're awake, golf is more entertaining, if you're asleep golf will promote deeper, more restful slumber.

Apr 27, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #117,432 of 150,481
Am I the only one whose Syn reports max 32/192khz under Windows 11 Control Panel/Playback/Syn/Properties/Advanced? The specs and a recent email from Schiit state it accepts 32/352or 384khz. No such luck under my Windows 11. I tried looking, under Windows, at the USB Device Tree dump to see if it specified the max bit rate, but couldn't find an obvious entry.
Tried it on a Raspberry Pi 4 USB and it did play but at what sounded like half speed and with lots of noise.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #117,433 of 150,481
Am I the only one whose Syn reports max 32/192khz under Windows 11 Control Panel/Playback/Syn/Properties/Advanced? The specs and a recent email from Schiit state it accepts 32/352or 384khz. No such luck under my Windows 11. I tried looking, under Windows, at the USB Device Tree dump to see if it specified the max bit rate, but couldn't find an obvious entry.
Tried it on a Raspberry Pi 4 USB and it did play but at what sounded like half speed and with lots of noise.
I'm not a PC guy but it may help to give as much info as possible to help diagnose your issue. What software you're using, pertinent hardware details etc.
Have you tried sending Syn some non-upsampled music? Maybe some standard 44/16, 48/24 or 96/24 to see if it plays correctly?
I hope you get it worked out. Let us know.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #117,434 of 150,481
Move your TV somewhere other than above the fire place... Haven't you been paying attention?

I'm not a huge fan of auto racing, for whatever reason. But I'll welcome it to this thread if for no other reason than the talk about bidets has stopped.
I already explained why I couldn't do that. Haven't you been paying attention?

Bidet bidet bidet bidet bidet bidet......... 🤣 🤣

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2023 at 7:46 PM Post #117,435 of 150,481
If you did not know there was a difference would you know there was a difference and if not, then in truth what difference does it make?

I say...None. But then I can not here Schiit only the music that comes of it. And that is as it should be for such as I. :beerchug:

If it is supposed to go as high as that then I am certain Schiit will help you out to find out why it is not.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back