Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 24, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #117,242 of 153,415
100%, except if you only have 1 source, best to do EQ before preamp. If you have multiple sources, you're there.
Interesting. Really curious why. Right now I have my Lokius after my preamp. I read somewhere on this or another forum that it really shouldn't matter if it's before or after the pramp. I set it up the way it is currently for ease of possible future source additions. At the moment I only have one source and that's unlikely to change in the near future (M1 Mac Mini=>DAC=>Freya N=>Lokius=>Asgard 3)

Apr 24, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #117,244 of 153,415
I haven't dabbled in surround sound myself -- it took me more than fifty years to get my two channel system to where I'm finally happy with it.

But, I'd be willing to bet that Dead Can Dance's Into The Labyrinth would sound pretty impressive.

:beerchug:
JC
A few more channels and another 150 years... that's not so bad :sweat_smile:

Apr 24, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #117,246 of 153,415
Interesting. Really curious why. Right now I have my Lokius after my preamp. I read somewhere on this or another forum that it really shouldn't matter if it's before or after the pramp. I set it up the way it is currently for ease of possible future source additions. At the moment I only have one source and that's unlikely to change in the near future (M1 Mac Mini=>DAC=>Freya N=>Lokius=>Asgard 3)
2 reasons I can think of are gain staging and impedance. The loki might have a sweet spot in terms of the input gain, which may be closer to line level than what the preamp is outputting. The output impedence of a preamp may also vary with volume changes. So the impedance the loki "sees" from the preamp may not be totally ideal, though depending on the preamp it may not be noticeable. If it's a passive preamp it might.

Apr 24, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #117,247 of 153,415
2 reasons I can think of are gain staging and impedance. The loki might have a sweet spot in terms of the input gain, which may be closer to line level than what the preamp is outputting. The output impedence of a preamp may also vary with volume changes. So the impedance the loki "sees" from the preamp may not be totally ideal, though depending on the preamp it may not be noticeable. If it's a passive preamp it might.
My thoughts, too. My Yggy connects to Loki Max via the XLR input, and my phono preamp via the SE input. Loki's XLR outputs go to my line preamp (and Loki's SE outputs will soon drive the Magni Piety... that'll let me hear the big system's sources via 'phones).

Also (as previously mentioned) I like the fact that Loki Max converts the SE input from the phono preamp to balanced on the way out... helps with volume matching, for sure.

Apr 24, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #117,248 of 153,415
My thoughts, too. My Yggy connects to Loki Max via the XLR input, and my phono preamp via the SE input. Loki's XLR outputs go to my line preamp (and Loki's SE outputs will soon drive the Magni Piety... that'll let me hear the big system's sources via 'phones).

Also (as previously mentioned) I like the fact that Loki Max converts the SE input from the phono preamp to balanced on the way out... helps with volume matching, for sure.
And this won't change the cable-chain (balanced-balanced-balanced-RCA), except the RCA-out to Asgard 3 will now come from the Freya vs the current setup where it comes from the Lokius. What's funny is I read Jason's last chapter on Balanced while I had a 4.4mm to dual-XLR cable en route to connect my DAC to the Freya. It certainly upped the gain so I had to set the DAC/AMP to low-gain to get rid of the resulting distortion. So, I expect all the balanced connections don't make a difference, but the cables sure do look pretty when you look around the back!

As an aside, I usually listen to music with the tubes enabled on the Freya. This weekend, I set the output to differential to shut off the tubes while I went to dinner. I came back after and listened to Rush's last album, "Clockwork Angels" and was wowed by the sound. 2/3's of the way through I realized I was still on Differential. I think modern productions and electronic music benefit from the differential mode (or more accurately, they don't play well with tubes, or certain tube's characteristics), and tubes are great for acoustic music, electric guitar-based music, Jazz, piano, vocals, analog recordings, etc. That's only a guess and an impression. The upshot is I'll be trying the differential mode a bit more often, especially for more modern tracks and certain genres.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #117,249 of 153,415
iMHO. Inductors in loki / lokius / loki max can pick up stray magnetic fields from transformers, motors, etc. higher input signal (but below clipping of the input stage) provides best S/N ratio.

For most setups, typical volume control settings result in negative “preamp” gain, so putting preamp last in the signal chain helps reduce the noise floor contribution from upstream devices. Difference should be measurable on an APx, and possibly more audible at very low volumes.

As Jason indicated in the chapter about Lokius’ development, the input has differential super-buffer (to drive the low-impedance RLC eq stage) so high upstream output impedance is not an issue.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #117,250 of 153,415
2 ports in every room, plus some exterior… I think the electrician thought I was crazy but I never want to run into the “wish i had a port here” problems…

Even made sure there were electric outlets by the toilets for when of those European power washers
I'm old and probably too set in my ways, but having water blasted up my butt is just, well, not gonna happen. Besides, I have lots of cardboard to use up. 🤣

Apr 24, 2023 at 8:01 PM Post #117,251 of 153,415
I'm old and probably too set in my ways, but having water blasted up my butt is just, well, not gonna happen. Besides, I have lots of cardboard to use up. 🤣
You have not lived until you have experienced the complete wash AND dry cycle. So civilized.

Apr 24, 2023 at 8:18 PM Post #117,252 of 153,415
You have not lived until you have experienced the complete wash AND dry cycle. So civilized.
I'm out of touch. Had no idea there was a dry cycle. But please don't tell me the deluxe models have an agitator too. 🤣

Apr 24, 2023 at 8:33 PM Post #117,254 of 153,415
I'm out of touch. Had no idea there was a dry cycle. But please do tell me the deluxe models have an agitator too. :heart_eyes:
FTFY x2

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back