Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 23, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #117,166 of 153,951
Must be an LA county thing....
There's also a Georgia thing, or at least I've never seen it elsewhere: non-functional fireplaces. A normal-looking fireplace with a mantle, hearth, firebox, an iron grate with ceramic 'logs,' the whole nine yards....except no chimney, no flue, not even a vent pipe to an external heat exchanger and equipped with a stamped metal tag on the front that states "Non-Functional." I saw these in several houses we looked at recently, so obviously someone thought this fireplace that you can't have a fire in was a good idea. What's next? The non-functional house. None of the doors or windows open. 🤣

Apr 23, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #117,167 of 153,951
Apr 23, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #117,168 of 153,951
What's next? The non-functional house. None of the doors or windows open. 🤣
To go with your non-functional car. In happier news, superbloom!

Aside: that is sooooooo weird.

IMG_3457.jpg

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 23, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #117,169 of 153,951

Apr 23, 2023 at 8:02 PM Post #117,171 of 153,951
3. We can't accommodate all product requests. Sorry. So if we don't have a 10-input, balance-control-equipped, 4W pure Class A balanced receiver, that is the way it has to go. Again, sorry.

So, how many inputs will it have? :deadhorse:

:beerchug:
JC

Apr 23, 2023 at 8:03 PM Post #117,172 of 153,951

Apr 23, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #117,173 of 153,951
I can see why some might get offended by someone disparaging their favorite brand. I agree Danny does no favors by doing that.

There are lots of things that can be objectively improved by swapping out OEM parts with better parts. Cars, boats, computers, etc. But considering how poorly many factory speakers measure, it’s no wonder why people send their speakers to Danny.

When I first heard about Danny I was still learning about audio circuits. Speakers crossovers weren’t on my radar until then. Curiosity got me to experiment on the speakers I had at the time. Simply swapping out the cheap caps on the tweeters made for an immediately noticeable change. I didn’t have to buy anything from Danny to try this. Just the idea that the parts included in a factory speaker could affect the sound this dramatically kinda shocked me.

I explained this to a friend of mine and he asked me to see if I could improve his cheap Polk tower speakers. I contacted Polk to get the crossover schematic and not only were they fine doing so ( for discontinued models) they even gave me the most recent version of the circuit. I was surprised to find each tower had a different version of the crossover! I swapped out a cap on the tweeter and a coil on the woofer. It sounded more detailed, had tighter and better defined bass, and even seemed to improve their power handling. You could push them louder without them sounding like they were straining. My friend was blown away by the change! At that point I trusted that Danny knew what he was doing. And I didn’t have to buy anything from him.

Around the same time I heard speakers he designed and again was very impressed. I had owned B&W, Definitive Technology, Aperion, Paradigm, Klipsch, and Gallo. AV123’s speakers, designed by Danny, beat all of them up for the money. They were well braced (which you don’t see in lower cost speakers) and came with higher quality parts in their crossovers. In direct comparisons they highlighted every flaw the branded speakers had. Since then I replaced all of my speakers with Danny’s designs. Are there better speakers out there? Absolutely! But you will spend more money to get there.

I get why people don’t like his lack of tact. For me it’s a level of honesty I don’t see very often in an industry filled with hyperbole and marketing bs. It’s similar to why I’m a fan of Schiit. Jason and Mike are honest about their products and the industry. A lot of us get a kick out of Mike saying things sound like ass. Granted he doesn’t name names. At least not in public. But there is a similarity with the idea that you shouldn’t have to spend a fortune to get great sound. And that’s what Danny is all about. Yeah, he makes digs at these big name brands but when you see how they’re made, how they measure, and how they’re priced, sometimes they kind of deserve it.
Funny I was/am reconfiguring my home theater and av123 speakers purchased around 2008. Great bang for the buck "back in the day". I don't think they are the best speakers, but not bad then or now. The whole av123 fiasco is off topic, and I wouldn't want to venture off topic here...

Apr 23, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #117,174 of 153,951
A Freya S with built in headphone amp, or a fixed line out for headphone amps would make many of us swoon.
+1. Would love it if my freya had a phones jack.

IIRC the old receivers were able to use the same amplification circuitry for both speakers and headphones. Wonder if there would be a way to do that to some extent w the freya line; like repurposing some of the preamp circuitry and adding a little boost after it w some Lisst/lyr+/moj1 circuitry.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2023 at 8:08 PM Post #117,175 of 153,951
50A for Viking double oven? Or doing gas?

No judgement either way.

We'll end up in a TX house with rainwater capture rather than well and solar with batteries. And still thinking about propane. Hmmmmmmmm.
Oven is electric, but gas range (GE monogram, builder was out of Viking).

In AZ, so will definitely have solar with batteries that’s a no brainer here

Apr 23, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #117,176 of 153,951
I like the concept of the SYN. I have a 10 year old Marantz AVR and was looking to replace it with something. I run a 5.2 system, but that shouldn't matter to the SYN. Never saw the need for more. I have quite a few multichannel recordings which is my only hesitation with getting the SYN. Not too concerned with using SYN for movies. I have plans for an 8 channel DAC so I may incorporate a splitter into it so I can listen to my multichannel recordings from my computer or from the SYN. That would allow me to not have to replace my AVR when it kicks the bucket. One of the rear amp channels is blown and one of the HDMI inlets is bad, so it is only a matter of time.

I have the TV sitting in front of the fireplace (never used the fireplace) on the hearth. Upstairs (where my SO watches TV) the TV is over the fireplace. We haven't used that one since we put the TV over it and it is gas unit.

Apr 23, 2023 at 9:13 PM Post #117,177 of 153,951
Reality: you DO make exactly the product I was looking for lol Saga + Loki

Isn’t this the beauty of separates? You get to be with creative with how you accomplish your goals.

Also: already budgeted for numerous more Schiit product purchases this year. Building a house (closing in August) and will be buying a few amps and about 6 or 7 other things. Doing my part to keep your sales up!! Haha

Now there’s an alternative. Put Saga and Loki into a Freya chassis.

Apr 23, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #117,178 of 153,951
Cintig 32 on the desk, Samsung The Frame 43 on the wall. Too bad the Cintiq 32 is gone now, I wanted one for Texas.

I'm sorry. I couldn't see the displays for the shiny silver G-Horn in the back. :D

Apr 23, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #117,179 of 153,951
There's also a Georgia thing, or at least I've never seen it elsewhere: non-functional fireplaces. A normal-looking fireplace with a mantle, hearth, firebox, an iron grate with ceramic 'logs,' the whole nine yards....except no chimney, no flue, not even a vent pipe to an external heat exchanger and equipped with a stamped metal tag on the front that states "Non-Functional." I saw these in several houses we looked at recently, so obviously someone thought this fireplace that you can't have a fire in was a good idea. What's next? The non-functional house. None of the doors or windows open. 🤣
Is this where you install a dedicated TV with a video of a fire looping? :ksc75smile:

Apr 23, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #117,180 of 153,951
A report from the fringe of the A/V world:

Cable Box > Optical cable > Yggy 2 > The Big Rig.

I watch football and hockey. Audio in sports is quite variable, and usually involves too much treble.

PSA- Life postponed Due to Playoffs.jpeg
:smiley_cat:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back