Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 21, 2023 at 10:43 PM Post #117,001 of 150,843
…ATMOS as in atmosphere, right? Not Atoms? Is this one of Jason’s little too-cool-for-the-industry jokes, or did he type this on an iPhone with an overactive autocorrect?
Well, he said "atoms", but you knew what he meant, so ... we're all good!
(and we don't need any lawyer types on standby)

Apr 21, 2023 at 10:44 PM Post #117,002 of 150,843
Apr 21, 2023 at 10:45 PM Post #117,003 of 150,843
…ATMOS as in atmosphere, right? Not Atoms? Is this one of Jason’s little too-cool-for-the-industry jokes, or did he type this on an iPhone with an overactive autocorrect?
Likely didn’t want to have to worry about trademark issues.

Apr 21, 2023 at 11:22 PM Post #117,004 of 150,843
Tonight's Syn-full song recommendation:

Tightrope..... Electric Light Orchestra

Apr 21, 2023 at 11:40 PM Post #117,006 of 150,843
Magni Piety has been cooking for over six (6) hours.
iPod (Apple Lossless) -> iCon iDo -> coax -> Modi Multibit 2 -> Magni Piety
Grado 325e
Beyerdynamic DT880 600 ohm
HiFiMan Sundara

Amp is wonderful, just like amp 0613.
Tonight, my ears, my mood and my kit; headphones fall out in this order:
HiFiMan Sundara, hi gain
Beyerdynamic DT880 600 ohm, hi gain
Grado 325e, lo gain

All are nice parings, Sundara and DT 880 are a hard choice, some tunes better on one and some better on the other.
Call it flexibility and a win for the amp.
I am biased on the Grado because, to me, they shine with the Asgard 2.

Quick listen with Beyerdynamic T1 600 ohm version indicates the amp has more to offer.

Three amps -
Magni + (or 3+)
Vali 2+
Magni Piety
Three flavors. Amazing Schiit.

Modi Multibit 2 deserves praise as well. As I said before "like the Modi Multibit only better".

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023 at 12:08 AM Post #117,008 of 150,843
Mine has a sticker and yours doesn't.... HA HA!

Piety SN Label.jpeg
😳 will there be a black market in bogus Piety stickers? … beware of ChatPTY? 😒

Apr 22, 2023 at 12:21 AM Post #117,009 of 150,843
That’s…. not how language works, but okay.
The Cheap Audio Man mispronounces Schiit, but we all know what he means.😁

Apr 22, 2023 at 12:22 AM Post #117,010 of 150,843
I'm not sure SCHIIT® can meet my needs for corridor, kitchen and washrooms in the Original Plant, or the center hall in the Christian-Education Wing, OMS Japanese Christian — the MAGNI™ is optimum only for a refurb Western Electric® 555 compression driver into a reproduction WE 13a woofer horn. I've a complete redesign o' the intercom to execute, and the IntraSonic® I2000 system is first place out of all comers; but Gem "Wheels No Heels" Hubbard gave me the heads up on a requirement for paging cords, which the I2000 cannot accommodate.

Apr 22, 2023 at 1:27 AM Post #117,011 of 150,843
I never saw that there was a sticker on the bottom. Seems mine was #206 off the assembly line. :D
Looks like mine is just under 1K as the sticker shows 988. Very fun amp!

Apr 22, 2023 at 2:07 AM Post #117,012 of 150,843
Assuming that you don't want to replace the Ember with the Syn, how about placing it between the Ember and your Headphones and your speakers?

The Ember has a line out, if I recall correctly, which you would feed into the Syn's analog line in. The JBLs would plug into Syn's main left and right and the Yamaha into Syn's subwoofer output. The headphones would use Syn's headphone out, of course.

That way, you'd add a dash of toobey goodness to your Syn.
I haven't tried this myself, but in theory the tube might actually turn out to be somewhat beneficial to what you get out of the rear speakers, but it may or may not make the center a tiny bit less focused.*

If you don't plan on keeping the Ember in the chain, Syn would simply go in its place.

* My reasoning, which could well be entirely wrong: I've heard tubes that can introduce a slightly uneven delay between the two channels, which is what the listener's brain would interpret as a wider soundstage when compared to what the same track would sound like without the tube in the chain. In a matrix surround system, that slight offset between the channels would cause the center to become a little quieter, because there's less of a phase overlap between the two channels. But the same slightly reduced phase overlap would also push more of the signal to the rear speakers …or som'thin'…

Thanks! Looks like this can work. In short, this is somewhat an active crossover of sorts that would replace the PFMOD

I guess my next step is to find out a decently-priced center speaker for center channel. Anything I should look out for in that regard?

Apr 22, 2023 at 2:12 AM Post #117,013 of 150,843
Tonight's Syn-full song recommendation:

Tightrope..... Electric Light Orchestra
Not Syn-ing, but enjoying Kitaro’s Asia with some Uncle Nearest. Lyr 3 to DCA Ether Cx (with some assistance from Lokius).

Apr 22, 2023 at 7:43 AM Post #117,014 of 150,843

I'm sure it's just Jason's way of avoiding lawsuits.

JC

Apr 22, 2023 at 8:03 AM Post #117,015 of 150,843
SchiitrMeet April
Syn and Atoms

Hey guys,

How can a non-standards-based surround processor be as good as the industry juggernaut, the standard, the one and only be-all and everything-is-us ATOMS?

Well, the short answer is that it can be better or worse, depending on your needs, expectations, system, preconceptions, indoctrination, etc, etc. In short, just like everything else in the world. You aren't gonna convince someone who loves scallops that filet is better, and vice-versa.

So we thought we'd do a blind listening between a real-deal Atoms system and Syn. At the Schiitr. Yeah, I know, Atoms will do like one billion channels, and we're limiting it to 5.1, but your spouse thanks us in advance. And yeah, I know, there's tons of other nervosa stuff you can do with an Atoms system, like assemble a cardboard stand for a measurement microphone that looks like a toy rocket you used to shoot off when you were 11, and create a DSP profile that will happily apply to all the nice analog input you run into the system (after it's converted by a $2 ADC, of course). But I'm cynical. Maybe Atoms will win. Maybe it will be unquestionably better. Who knows? It's not like we vet these things in advance.

So, if you're as crazy as I am, please join us at 6 PM PST on April 27 at the Schiitr in Newhall. Or you can watch a video about me talking about surround and stuff beforehand. Questions? Preferably on surround? Send them to Denise at denise@schiit.com.

SchiitrMeet April
Thursday, April 27, 2023
6-10PM

22508 Market Street
Newhall, CA 91321

Don't feel like seeing us in person? Can't make the trip from Scotland or Singapore? Please join us on Facebook or YouTube. Starts at 6. That's 18:00 for you fancy people who use 24-hour clocks, GMT-7. The video bit goes about 45 minutes.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZqCWt2_qqB-UD0-pcPpxCw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/

All the best,
Jason
There are certainly complaints about Syn on the internet, most of the irrelevant, "I just want to carp about something" variety. The most common real, technical, complaints seem to be, "Why can't it decode 5.1?" This reveals that the complainers did not read the FAQ. But it also seems to reveal that 5.1 is the most common surround solution. Which tells me that with Syn Schiit went to exactly the right niche and stopped right there. The comparison of Syn to 5.1 should be interesting, I wish I could be there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back