Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 20, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #116,941 of 150,813
"Starship experienced a rapid unscheduled disassembly before stage separation..." 😧
SpaceX does iterative testing and they rapidly incorporate lessons learned. But it appears they are not quite as good at incorporating lessons learned long ago by NASA, and some of those bit them today. I expect that once starbase is rebuilt THIS time it will have proper flame diverters and a deluge system. Because the Orbital Launch Mount basically no longer has a foundation, and it looks like debris from its destruction badly damaged the rocket. And quite a few other things. It is amazing the rocket did as well as it did!

Apr 20, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #116,942 of 150,813
SpaceX does iterative testing and they rapidly incorporate lessons learned. But it appears they are not quite as good at incorporating lessons learned long ago by NASA, and some of those bit them today. I expect that once starbase is rebuilt THIS time it will have proper flame diverters and a deluge system. Because the Orbital Launch Mount basically no longer has a foundation, and it looks like debris from its destruction badly damaged the rocket. And quite a few other things. It is amazing the rocket did as well as it did!
Does SpaceX have full access to NASA's experience and failure database?

Apr 20, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #116,943 of 150,813
Does SpaceX have full access to NASA's experience and failure database?
Of course they do- they launch every week from Florida from a NASA-designed pad. And to be fair, they appear to have been planning on incorporating a deluge system in the new construction. But they hadn't incorporated these features in the original OLM design, apparently figuring they could mitigate the damage in other ways. Didn't work. Almost 3X the thrust of a Saturn V. That's gonna leave a mark, and it really did. Holy cow. It's a MESS there.

Apr 20, 2023 at 8:03 PM Post #116,945 of 150,813
Last edited:
Apr 20, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #116,946 of 150,813
Yep, unfortunately R&D sometimes involves "development."

Gonna spark up a couple of things here today that may involve "development." Nothing on Starship scale, just a multichannel amp based on some new assumptions that might or might not work.

Broskie has some really interesting new takes on Class G/H it may be worth taking a whack at, as well: https://tubecad.com/2023/02/blog0576.htm

Gonna spark up a couple of things on 4.20? :joy_cat:

Apr 20, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #116,947 of 150,813
Gonna spark up a couple of things on 4.20? :joy_cat:
This is and will always be the original 420

s-l1600.jpg

Apr 20, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #116,948 of 150,813
Apr 20, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #116,950 of 150,813
Probably a failed HDMI handshake. :wink:
I think you've discovered another use for Syn - inter-module rocket backplane. As long as there are only at most 5.1 engines?

Apr 20, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #116,951 of 150,813
For the enjoyment of B Cowen:
20230420_173921[1].jpg
Some genuine Japanese cardboard, fresh from Tokyo, with genuine Japanese Pink Floyd including souvenir card. See you on the dark side...
Sweet! Japanese cardboard pressings are almost always excellent.

Apr 20, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #116,952 of 150,813
Broskie has some really interesting new takes on Class G/H it may be worth taking a whack at, as well: https://tubecad.com/2023/02/blog0576.htm
How does his expectation of an upcoming pure digital power amplifier square with Lyngdorf's Millenium being around since 2009?

Also, any thought of being an OEM to other companies making digital products? Kind of would love to custom order things with multi-bit DACs in them instead of ESS Sabres. Multi-bit on a chip! :)

Apr 20, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #116,953 of 150,813
How does his expectation of an upcoming pure digital power amplifier square with Lyngdorf's Millenium being around since 2009?

Also, any thought of being an OEM to other companies making digital products? Kind of would love to custom order things with multi-bit DACs in them instead of ESS Sabres. Multi-bit on a chip! :)
I'm not so interested in the "digital" power amp ideas. More the G/H ideas. The "digital" ideas aren't without merit, just unfeasible without massive budget or compromise. Maybe if the digital amp was modularized and designed for relatively low power (1-2W), with higher power implementations being massively paralleled...just blue-skying here.

Zero interest in being an OEM. I don't need bosses, most with dumb ideas. I come up with enough stupidity on my own.

Edit: I need to finish up the new business chapter on "nobody cares about your bad business choices." One bad choice is being an OEM. Then you have multiple directions, many not dictated by your own beliefs. Every hour you spend on outside needs takes away from your own company's strengths.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 20, 2023 at 11:03 PM Post #116,955 of 150,813
Looks like the engines of the super heavy not shutting down for the separation..?
Looks like 15% of the main engines didn't even light, or lit and failed shortly thereafter. There was a good shot of it on the live feed during ascent. Kinda amazing that it was still able to fly given the imbalance in thrust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back