Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 8, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #116,191 of 150,605
Feels like home (San Jose, CA)... without the white stuff on the road, though :laughing:
I lived there from '84 until '09. Great city.

Apr 8, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #116,192 of 150,605
A humble request: out of respect for our extraordinarily gracious host and muse, I wish people would not promote competitive products. Its rude, especially since Jason does not comment on competitors.
I agree, and I hate to go any further, but...
So after some serious listening -
Listened to a few fave tracks just to 'let it warm up from new ' ( I haven't yet bought any audio kit that doesn't need this !! ) after around 40 mins of using IEM , the sound radically changed - it went from pleasant but lacking dynamics to ' Blimey that's a surprise ! - I think iFi have some proprietary software that senses the impedance etc of the headphones being used because quit abruptly there was a soft background ' praaarp ' and the sound quality was instantly truly dynamic , 3D and utterly absorbing - with fantastic out of the head imaging - and it sounded this good instantly next day -
So I played everything from Kraftwerks Live 3D album ( 24 bit dolby Atmos etc etc ) that sounded bloody marvellous - to the wonderful Nad Sylvans 'Spiritus Mundi' a rather beautiful work in the mould of early Tori Amos in some ways -its an album that rewards on many levels and this little widget bought ' space and life ' to the listening experience - interspersed with lesser quality recordings Cardiacs ' A little Man and a House and the World Wide Window ' is a lousy recording but fun and musically explorative and a must listen - the DAC didn't really improve matters much other than add a bit of rhythmic cohesion , early Gabriel Era Genesis just sounded sublime and the subtle musical interplays were a revelation -

So yes a good purchase huge improvement to an i phone - heartily give the iFI i link a thumbs up - great value , but give it an hour's use to wake up !!
This is a good review and I'm sure it's pertinent info but I have to ask-why are you posting it in this thread? I feel there are more appropriate places for this type of post, in the more generalized forums. I mean no disrespect and do not want to start a fight, but respect for this thread and it's use here makes me have to ask.

Apologies for interrupting the celebration of MQA's demise.

Apr 8, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #116,193 of 150,605
I read that and was left with this thought: Who renames tech from human-friendly MQAir to S6LC ?! Fits in with all the other gobbledygooky Bluetooth codecs, I guess. Can't let the poor child feel left out, I guess.
I think they changed the name because they wanted to distance themselves from the truth that a turd by any other name is stil a turd. No matter what they call it MQA is crap-trap.

Apr 8, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #116,195 of 150,605
I think they changed the name because they wanted to distance themselves from the truth that a turd by any other name is stil a turd. No matter what they call it MQA is crap-trap.

The low-bandwidth/bit-rate/baud-rate of Bluetooth might be a good fit for the origami thing. Then again, audiofriends don't let audiofriends use Bluetooth :-D

Apr 8, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #116,196 of 150,605
Apr 8, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #116,199 of 150,605
Twittering Machines, phono stage survey conclusion that includes Mani 2.

https://twitteringmachines.com/tm-phono-stage-survey-the-big-roundup/

Weird looking turntable! :sunglasses:
The turntable is a Michell Gyrodec SE.

Anyway I've been planning to upgrade my Mani to a Mani 2. The Mani is an awesome phono stage anyway - which significantly bettered a much more expensive Graham Slee Reflex M. Far more involving and better bass and presence. According to the reviews the Mani 2 is more of the same.

....BTW I just hit the buy button.

Andrew

Apr 8, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #116,202 of 150,605
When I think of Georgia this song starts going through my mind….

Apr 8, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #116,203 of 150,605
Apr 8, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #116,204 of 150,605
The turntable is a Michell Gyrodec SE.

Anyway I've been planning to upgrade my Mani to a Mani 2. The Mani is an awesome phono stage anyway - which significantly bettered a much more expensive Graham Slee Reflex M. Far more involving and better bass and presence. According to the reviews the Mani 2 is more of the same.

....BTW I just hit the buy button.

Andrew
Hi Andrew,

That was a small joke on my part. I own a Gyro SE.

I think that you will like the Mani 2, a glorious overachiever!

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #116,205 of 150,605

Users who are viewing this thread

Back